Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by BigBob View Post
    A couple Coyote fans have told me that USD tried to get a game with SDSU next September 3 but a small number of large SDSU donors threatened to pull their funding if they played USD. I also was told that Sell was informed that he wasn't allowed to sign the agreement to play USD so USD signed to play Air Force on that date. Has anybody else hear this or was this just a coyote fan spouting off?
    I wouldn't qualify as a "large donor," but that kind of speculation must have come from misguided Coyote fans spouting off without facts. I'm not aware of any ultimatums like that. At least I haven't heard any knowledgeable Jackrabbit fans mention it in a serious way.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      If you were a hot dog........

It's funny this discussion is going on. This morning on my way out of the hospital a USD booster asked me when SDSU and USD would play FB again. I said it would be soon enough but most likely not before 2012.

Well you were nice about it. I tell them that I will pull my funding for 30000 scholarships if we ever play USD again. Yep...you guessed it. I'm the mystery donor that keeps us from playing USD.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Actually, I heard that it was SDSU that reached out to USD, but they said they had a chance at a game with Air Force and didn't want to jeopardize that because their big donors told them they were sick and tired of being asked for more money.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          Actually, I heard that it was SDSU that reached out to USD, but they said they had a chance at a game with Air Force and didn't want to jeopardize that because their big donors told them they were sick and tired of being asked for more money.

Now that's funny.....because it's true.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            If you were a hot dog........

It's funny this discussion is going on. This morning on my way out of the hospital a USD booster asked me when SDSU and USD would play FB again. I said it would be soon enough but most likely not before 2012.

No doubt there were discussions about a game between USD and SDSU on Sept 3rd next year. No doubt both sides had stipulations and expectations. Apparently a compromise could not be reached and USD signed an agreement to play Air Force.'

I would be quite surprised to hear that any "big donors" supporting SDSU would pull their donations if we scheduled USD. In fact, I'd say that's a ludicrous suggestion and an attempt at rhetoric to further jeopardize a renewal of the annual game. Again, it will happen when it happens.
            Doc,

I know where you are coming from. My question to you is this. What if it were true? Would you as a booster be ok with a small group of backers telling AD Self who and whom he can/can't schedule? I am going to PM you shortly, but the above question should be answered by all.

As a USD booster, I would be upset to learn that someone gave our AD an ultimatum. Do you all feel the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I had heard that USD wanted to play on Sept. 3rd, but SDSU wasn't in favor so USD signed to play Air Force. But I wasn't told anything about large SDSU donors pulling their funding.
              I doubt that, and any stories along those lines for a variety of reasons:

1) SDSU would *LOVE* a home opener the first weekend of the season. Think about it. What have the past two years looked like? SDSU starting a week late, usually on the road, and ending up behind the 8-ball the rest of the season.

2) Don't for a minute think that Air Force was a fallback for USD. Payday games aren't fallbacks.

If the Sept 3rd date was at all in play, I would expect that SDSU was the fallback for USD if the Air Force deal went through.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

1) SDSU would *LOVE* a home opener the first weekend of the season. Think about it. What have the past two years looked like? SDSU starting a week late, usually on the road, and ending up behind the 8-ball the rest of the season.

2) Don't for a minute think that Air Force was a fallback for USD. Payday games aren't fallbacks.

If the Sept 3rd date was at all in play, I would expect that SDSU was the fallback for USD if the Air Force deal went through.
                Zoo,

Please answer the questions I asked JackMd below. All I am asking is IF it were true, as a fanand booster, would you be ok with that?

Comment

No, I would not be fine with that. If boosters had that kind of influence at state, I'd drop them like a bad habit--no more games, no more money into the program period. I'd watch from the sidelines until they got their act together.

Heck, if I wanted to cheer for a program that's run by its boosters, I'd pick any team in the SEC and run with it. If I wanted to cheer for a program where the college president is taken to task for the performance of the school's football program, I'd cheer for Nebraska.

You take a look at SDSU's athletic program. It's run on a shoestring, and I'm fairly sure it's run on the 'poor but honest' philosophy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    Doc,

I know where you are coming from. My question to you is this. What if it were true? Would you as a booster be ok with a small group of backers telling AD Self who and whom he can/can't schedule? I am going to PM you shortly, but the above question should be answered by all.

As a USD booster, I would be upset to learn that someone gave our AD an ultimatum. Do you all feel the same way?
                    I know no details other than what has been discussed before about potential "deals" to get this game going again. I'm not privy to the details and don't really want to be. I trust our administration to make decisions that they think are best for SDSU. I hope that involves discussions with our coaches and other athletic dept staff. I don't want boosters making decisions about athletic schedules and I don't believe that they are.

Sometimes when negotiations are ongoing things get said during moments of decision that are meant to distract or delay a verdict. The details are often sketchy but the goal is clear, defer a decision to a later date without losing the opportunity to make the decision. Perhaps that is what happened here, perhaps not. Either way, SDSU needs 2 games next year and I sure hope we haven't passed up an opportunity to secure a home game because of someones foolish pride.

Emotions are important but you can't let them direct decision making when it comes to others best interests. Rumors are rumors, facts are facts, I'll ask Mr. Sell or Mr. Peterson how negotiations are going with respect to the 2011 schedule when I see them next, maybe tomorrow.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Okay yoteforever, I will answer your ficitous question. Would I be okay if some big big donor said no to a USD game?
                      Personally I have no control over our corporate sponsors, what they do or dont do is no concern of mine.

How do we not know that USD pulled the contract off the table when they got an offer to play the Air Force Academy? There has to be guarntee money in their somewhere. I have my doubts that USD will be going by bus to Colorado Springs.

At least 200k. I suspect the athletic department is an separate budget so it would not require an act of congress for USAF to pay a guarentee to USD.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-08-2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I'm sure it happened, mostly because you're doubting it.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          Doc,

No I would not be upset if in the mean time an offer to play US Air Force Academy came up. I think the finger should be pointed south and not north. You guys got a money game and I dont blame you for pulling out of a contract to play SDSU. So much for our big donors and their influence. I know of one instance where a bb coach was fired, where some donors did try to influence that decision, but the decision was already made by the adminstration. This particular coach had his shortcomings which came to light first to the adminstration. If you want more details pm me.

Why would Van Fishback or Alred Kurtenbach not want to play USD? Its silly to even suggest that. We also have no reaction or comment from AD Sells and I doubt he has to see anything especally if its about some rumor floating around Vermillion. What other options did our AD have on the table besides playing USD? We dont know the answer to that do we yoteforever? Also Rob Peterson works hard on the schedules. Rob might have had better options that needed further approval.

Comment

So what you are saying is my sources don't know what they are talking about or were misinformed?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              So what you are saying is my sources don't know what they are talking about or were misinformed?
                              I am with zoo on this what or who are your sources. Feel free to pm me.

Comment

I hear that they are going to move the Med and Law schools to Sioux Falls, and turn the rest of the USD campus in to a prison. Yoteforever how would you feel about that. "All I am asking is IF it were true, as a fan and booster, would you be ok with that?"

Don’t you hate hypothetical questions? They are just a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X