Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Ask one of the guys if they want to play DII and NAIA teams. I'm not absolutely sure what they would say but I have an educated guess.

I don't see enough benefit in scheduling this game. It won't bring in that much more revenue and may even prevent opportunity to collect in the future.

I still don't know where this idea that whipping a lower division team for a meaningless W does anything for the players. Maybe its just me.
    If it's good enough for FBS teams to prepare for their seasons than I don't see any problems with FCS teams to get ready for their's. Was that a meaningless game for Nebraska last year?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Ask one of the guys if they want to play DII and NAIA teams. I'm not absolutely sure what they would say but I have an educated guess.

I don't see enough benefit in scheduling this game. It won't bring in that much more revenue and may even prevent opportunity to collect in the future.

I still don't know where this idea that whipping a lower division team for a meaningless W does anything for the players. Maybe its just me.
      So the team wouldnt have benefited from playing a team no matter what level it is before we went to Delaware? I fail to see that. Any game experience could have helped us to be better prepared and not shell shocked to start the season on a slow note, which our team has proven its good at start slow and finishing fast. Why not some years have a game that helps get the kinks out.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        So during a year where we could play 12 games, perferably 6 at home and 6 on the road, if all else fails to bring in a good opponent, you would rather leave us with only 5 home and 6 on the road and a bye week or worse take a 7 road game? 11 games still count, either way during a 12 game season if we played a D-2 school, but you think its better to not play anyone instead of a good warm up game? I dont want it every year, but the distain for playing a D-2 school is amazing. It was not long ago we were there, and there are repsectable good regional interest games that we could do on occasion. I see nothing wrong with allowing fans to have another home game certain years if thats the last option for a 6th game. The years we have a new stadium, it would be a good idea to try to get as many home games to get gate revenue to help build support for season tickets and seeing the team in a new stadium working torwards the playoffs again.

Our team has shown the are slow out of the gate, getting game experience against a lesser team is no worse then basketball playing exhibition games.
        Yes, because the rest of the Div. 1-AA teams will have 12 games to get 7 wins and SDSU will be playing an exhibition game against a Div-2 team. In a season with 12 games, there will be a lot of teams who do not get into the playoffs with 7 wins. Most will have at least 8 wins. I don't have any hard evidence to back that up but it seems logical doesn't it?

O...and let me say that again. SDSU needs 7 Div. 1 wins. Apparently some people think that if SDSU beats a team like the University of Minnesota it wouldn't count.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Go cheer for Augie or USF then. SDSU is trying to move forward.
          Tell that to the National Champs as playing a nearby DII is not beneath them and they seem to being moving forward. http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/schedule

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            If it's good enough for FBS teams to prepare for their seasons than I don't see any problems with FCS teams to get ready for their's. Was that a meaningless game for Nebraska last year?
            Nebraska or whoever else is in FBS can use a game like SDSU to get a Div. 1 win that will count towards their bowl status.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Tell that to the National Champs as playing a nearby DII is not beneath them and they seem to being moving forward. http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/schedule

Look, I understand your point. But if you had the option, you're saying that you would rather play a Div. 2 team like Augie instead of playing against a Div. 1 team?

Comment

Yes, because the rest of the Div. 1-AA teams will have 12 games to get 7 wins and SDSU will be playing an exhibition game against a Div-2 team. In a season with 12 games, there will be a lot of teams who do not get into the playoffs with 7 wins. Most will have at least 8 wins. I don't have any hard evidence to back that up but it seems logical doesn't it?

O...and let me say that again. SDSU needs 7 Div. 1 wins. Apparently some people think that if SDSU beats a team like the University of Minnesota it wouldn't count.
                So say we schedule a game at Delaware that at this point in our program we most likely loss, that doesn’t help us get to 7 wins either way. Most years we only get 11 games, those years only schedule D-1 programs, but if we cant get a D1 game during a 12 game season I don’t see how taking a bye week helps them reach 7 wins.

Some don't feel that playing a warm up game would help, but maybe that 1 game would help prepare the team to win more of those 11 remaining games. I don’t see how a bad loss to a good team, (see Delaware) helps anyone. It obviously didn’t help us. If we could have had a 12 game that would have been the first week of the year, playing a D-2 could have surely helped get things figured out faster. It’s naive to think otherwise.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Nebraska or whoever else is in FBS can use a game like SDSU to get a Div. 1 win that will count towards their bowl status.
                  getting a D-2 school would be like a last case senario. But I feel having a D-2 team is better then no team.

Comment

getting a D-2 school would be like a last case senario. But I feel having a D-2 team is better then no team.

Of course, but it's not what you want. If SDSU schedules a Div. 2 team because they have no other choice, then there's nothing they can do. But to do it on purpose and believe it's going to help the team...no way.

Comment

So the team wouldnt have benefited from playing a team no matter what level it is before we went to Delaware? I fail to see that. Any game experience could have helped us to be better prepared and not shell shocked to start the season on a slow note, which our team has proven its good at start slow and finishing fast. Why not some years have a game that helps get the kinks out.
                      You can't solve the issue with not being prepared for a game by playing a game.

We don't know that playing a game before Delaware wouldn't have resulted in losing that game because of poor preparation or underestimating them or field conditions or whatever. So, this argument that we would be more prepared for a more important game doesn't hold water for me. Its not the same as an exhibition game so the comparison to basketball doesn't work either.

Is it fair to assume local/regional DII or NAIA teams even want to play us? What do they have to gain other than some cash? How much cash is enough?

A DII or lower division game would be acceptable only as a last resort during a 12 game season and would have to come at a much lower cost than a DI game.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Comment

Look, I understand your point. But if you had the option, you're saying that you would rather play a Div. 2 team like Augie instead of playing against a Div. 1 team?
                          I would rather play Augie or USF than pay SUU $185,000 or continue to get duped into 2-1 contracts with the likes of Montana and Delaware that never get honored. Usually because those programs are looking to back out so they can land another home game against a DII or weak FCS or FBS game on the road.

Comment

I would rather play Augie or USF than pay SUU $185,000 or continue to get duped into 2-1 contracts with the likes of Montana and Delaware that never get honored. Usually because those programs are looking to back out so they can land another home game against a DII or weak FCS or FBS game on the road.

Those two contracts were done because SDSU was still going through transition. Not even close to the same thing.

Comment

Does anyone know off the top of their head when season ticket sales begin?
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Those two contracts were done because SDSU was still going through transition. Not even close to the same thing.
                                Let's agree we disagree on this topic. I'm not going to start acting like Zooropa.

Comment

Working...
                                X