Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    Im guessing there are a lot of season ticket holders at Nebraska that didnt go to the SDSU game, instead sold them to someone else. My nephew is a big husker fan but only gets to one game a year. Last year he went to the SDSU game because he said it would be easy to get tickets. When we got to the tailgate area they always go to he said it usually is packed by noon. So yea, im think even the husker season ticket holders will skip a game against a lower division. But they wont have any problems selling them to some other husker fan.
    Fair enough, but if you can and have tickets is it more important to support your team or not show up to spite your opponent. I am there to support SDSU not cheer against the other team so I dont see the relavence to how some teams are worth going to watch or to skip.

I can completely understand if your limited to the games you can attend during the year depending on work or family or financial reasons, but if you have the ability and support your school, I would think a person would want to be there no matter who they are playing. It just sounds snobby to me, we as fans are excited when we play up the the BCS schools, so that is what a D-2 school would feel like going to FCS on a lesser level. The only difference is D-2 games are non counters. But playing 1 non counter during a 12 game season would not be a season breaker for me, if anything a good game for back ups to get experience before playing tough confrence games. During a regular 11 game season, there should be no place for a D-2 game.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Fair enough, but if you can and have tickets is it more important to support your team or not show up to spite your opponent. I am there to support SDSU not cheer against the other team so I dont see the relavence to how some teams are worth going to watch or to skip.

I can completely understand if your limited to the games you can attend during the year depending on work or family or financial reasons, but if you have the ability and support your school, I would think a person would want to be there no matter who they are playing. It just sounds snobby to me, we as fans are excited when we play up the the BCS schools, so that is what a D-2 school would feel like going to FCS on a lesser level. The only difference is D-2 games are non counters. But playing 1 non counter during a 12 game season would not be a season breaker for me, if anything a good game for back ups to get experience before playing tough confrence games. During a regular 11 game season, there should be no place for a D-2 game.

So let the Augie or USF fans get excited about going to Brookings. It doesnt excite me. I supported SDSU by buying season tickets. And i'll go to all of the games unless they play a D2 team.

Comment

So let the Augie or USF fans get excited about going to Brookings. It doesnt excite me. I supported SDSU by buying season tickets. And i'll go to all of the games unless they play a D2 team.
        I like to support the actual players on the field. When they are playing their butts off no matter what. Its like the fair weather fans who figure oh, its under 40 degrees, I better not go even though they are more then capable.

To each his own I guess.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I like to support the actual players on the field. When they are playing their butts off no matter what. Its like the fair weather fans who figure oh, its under 40 degrees, I better not go even though they are more then capable.

To each his own I guess.
          I agree we need to support the players. If we do end up playing a D2 team and we don't play very well what will the critics say" we sucked or we are going to be terrible etc" If we play well and win what will people say" well we SHOULD have killed them, they are a D2 team" Its probably a no win for the players. They are the ones right now busting their tail 5 days a week to prepare for spring ball and the season. Whoever they play I am sure we can all agree that they will play the best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
            I agree we need to support the players. If we do end up playing a D2 team and we don't play very well what will the critics say" we sucked or we are going to be terrible etc" If we play well and win what will people say" well we SHOULD have killed them, they are a D2 team" Its probably a no win for the players. They are the ones right now busting their tail 5 days a week to prepare for spring ball and the season. Whoever they play I am sure we can all agree that they will play the best they can.
            Yep, and its up the the department to schedule what I would expect the be a schedule that would help the team reach the playoffs again. Its not an easy job I am sure, but trying to get some games that are against good teams, is important, just would be nice to see some FSC games that I would consider winnable, and not a coin toss for every OOC game.

Comment

Wow a lot of arrogant talk for a program that went 5-6 last year? I'm glad FBS programs in the area don't take the same route and refuse to play SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Wow a lot of arrogant talk for a program that went 5-6 last year? I'm glad FBS programs in the area don't take the same route and refuse to play SDSU.
                Would u rather be 6-5 and opened up with augie and then playing sioux falls or be 5-6 and played delaware and nebraska?? If I'm a player this is obviously a no brainer.

Comment

Would u rather be 6-5 and opened up with augie and then playing sioux falls or be 5-6 and played delaware and nebraska?? If I'm a player this is obviously a no brainer.
                  I would rather be undefeated, but 7-4 with winnable OOC games to go along with a difficult confrence slate would be fine.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't see any benefit in playing a D-2 game and it disappoints me that people actually do. If the athletic department even thinks about it then I'd be mad. SDSU is D-1 for a reason and you need 7 DIVISION 1 WINS to get to playoffs. I can't believe this is even a conversation.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

So because we went 5-6 we are now lowered to having to play Augie and USF? or some other D2 school. No thanks. If i want to watch Augie or USF , i only live 20 miles from soo foo.

Comment

I would rather had a home game against Augie or USF in the opener got a nice pay day at the gate than go out and play Delaware who cancelled the return anyway. I think the program need a "patsy game" every year to prepare for the FBS game and MVC. Based on our lack of revenues paying SUU $185,000 is not the answer IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          I'm sorry but I don't see any benefit in playing a D-2 game and it disappoints me that people actually do. If the athletic department even thinks about it then I'd be mad. SDSU is D-1 for a reason and you need 7 DIVISION 1 WINS to get to playoffs. I can't believe this is even a conversation.
                          We are not DI in football so get over yourself.

Comment

Ask one of the guys if they want to play DII and NAIA teams. I'm not absolutely sure what they would say but I have an educated guess.

I don't see enough benefit in scheduling this game. It won't bring in that much more revenue and may even prevent opportunity to collect in the future.

I still don't know where this idea that whipping a lower division team for a meaningless W does anything for the players. Maybe its just me.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Go cheer for Augie or USF then. SDSU is trying to move forward.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                So during a year where we could play 12 games, perferably 6 at home and 6 on the road, if all else fails to bring in a good opponent, you would rather leave us with only 5 home and 6 on the road and a bye week or worse take a 7 road game? 11 games still count, either way during a 12 game season if we played a D-2 school, but you think its better to not play anyone instead of a good warm up game? I dont want it every year, but the distain for playing a D-2 school is amazing. It was not long ago we were there, and there are repsectable good regional interest games that we could do on occasion. I see nothing wrong with allowing fans to have another home game certain years if thats the last option for a 6th game. The years we have a new stadium, it would be a good idea to try to get as many home games to get gate revenue to help build support for season tickets and seeing the team in a new stadium working torwards the playoffs again.

Our team has shown the are slow out of the gate, getting game experience against a lesser team is no worse then basketball playing exhibition games.

Comment

Working...
                                X