Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Playing a team like Augie doesn't really help the team. And, why should SDSU give a regional school any type of recruiting material?

Schedule teams like Cal-Poly and the revenue will be there.
    not every team is going to be as desperate to schedule a 2-1 with us like poly did. paying SUU seems a little over the top but it got us a home game.

Now during a 12 game season, we can play 6 home and 6 away. We cant get cal poly to come here for that 6th home game every year. I would hate to see a 12 game season and we are on the road for 7 because we failed to bring in another team or to waste in on a bye week. During a 12 game season, playing augie or northern could be a great start for regional interest and allow for another home game to make more money and get an easy win before the hard games start. I am not saying thats what we should do, but if it means we get a 6th home game we should consider it.

Consider it like an exhibition game in basketball. It doesnt really help the team make the playoffs but gets game experience and gives the team easy games to start with.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      And the year before that they proved they could beat them.

I refuse to say that we need easier competition. SDSU needs to step their game up.

I really don't see how playing a weaker regional team will help SDSU when it comes playoff time.

Bring in good teams and the crowds will come.
      Untill we are winning 8 games consistantly every year, the schedule needs to consider how difficult games will be. Going to play Montana or Delware is great competition but its not great for the win loss record at this point. If we started off playing a cupcake instead of bye maybe we sould have been a little bit better prepared for Delaware.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        If we started off playing a cupcake instead of bye maybe we sould have been a little bit better prepared for Delaware.
        I think that's flawed logic. We can get a better gate and better preparation by bringing in quality DI opponents and we don't set ourselves up for an oh **** moment, not that fear of an oh **** moment should be a motivator in anyway.

Your philosophy is shared down in Vermillion and what has it done for them? Number of wins is only important when those wins are against appropriate opponents.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

not every team is going to be as desperate to schedule a 2-1 with us like poly did. paying SUU seems a little over the top but it got us a home game.

Now during a 12 game season, we can play 6 home and 6 away. We cant get cal poly to come here for that 6th home game every year. I would hate to see a 12 game season and we are on the road for 7 because we failed to bring in another team or to waste in on a bye week. During a 12 game season, playing augie or northern could be a great start for regional interest and allow for another home game to make more money and get an easy win before the hard games start. I am not saying thats what we should do, but if it means we get a 6th home game we should consider it.

Consider it like an exhibition game in basketball. It doesnt really help the team make the playoffs but gets game experience and gives the team easy games to start with.
          I hope that SDSU doesn't go to a 12 game season. 11 is plenty. sort of like the nfl wanting to go to 18 now.. When is it going to stop?

Comment

Now during a 12 game season, we can play 6 home and 6 away. We cant get cal poly to come here for that 6th home game every year. I would hate to see a 12 game season and we are on the road for 7 because we failed to bring in another team or to waste in on a bye week. During a 12 game season, playing augie or northern could be a great start for regional interest and allow for another home game to make more money and get an easy win before the hard games start.
            Northern? I would be selling my season tickets if we ever scheduled a game against Northern State.
            *clarification: would sell my tickets for that particular game
            Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I think that's flawed logic. We can get a better gate and better preparation by bringing in quality DI opponents and we don't set ourselves up for an oh **** moment, not that fear of an oh **** moment should be a motivator in anyway.

Your philosophy is shared down in Vermillion and what has it done for them? Number of wins is only important when those wins are against appropriate opponents.
              So we were better off not playing a game the first week of the year before we went to a place we never played who is traditionally a strong team?

Call me crazy but I think a team gets more out of a game no matter the opposition compared to just scrimmaging.

They do that up in Fargo and it seemed to work out well for them also. confrence games are hard enough, to make the playoffs we need atleast 7 wins, our OOC games should include both good teams and beatable teams. I dont think we need to have 25 FCS teams for our away OOC games every year.

There is nothing wrong with trying to bring in beatable teams to Brookings on occasion, besides USD.

Sorry for the smack, but I had to make it a little light hearthed humor.

Comment

So we were better off not playing a game the first week of the year before we went to a place we never played who is traditionally a strong team?

Call me crazy but I think a team gets more out of a game no matter the opposition compared to just scrimmaging.

They do that up in Fargo and it seemed to work out well for them also. confrence games are hard enough, to make the playoffs we need atleast 7 wins, our OOC games should include both good teams and beatable teams. I dont think we need to have 25 FCS teams for our away OOC games every year.

There is nothing wrong with trying to bring in beatable teams to Brookings on occasion, besides USD.

Sorry for the smack, but I had to make it a little light hearthed humor.
                help me out here.. are most schools thinking about going to a 12 game schedule????

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  I hope that SDSU doesn't go to a 12 game season. 11 is plenty. sort of like the nfl wanting to go to 18 now.. When is it going to stop?
                  there are only a few years that teams could schedule 12 games. not every season. The only time to take a bye week is at the end of the year, last year we had one to start the year which really hurt us. I could think that having a games instead of a bye the first week of last year would have only benefited the team.

Most years we have 5 games at home and 6 on the road because we can only play 11 game season, some years we are allowed up to 12 games. I would think the team would want to get a 6th home game those years. A good FCS team is ideal to bring in but a home game is better then no game IMO. To get enough wins we need to have teams willing to come to Brookings where our winning percentage is much better, if that means having a 6th home game during the years where you can have 12 games, I think the team needs to have that game.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                    help me out here.. are most schools thinking about going to a 12 game schedule????
                    You are allowed a 12th game certain years, I just don't remember the specifics. It has something to do with the first weekend in September. I believe during years in which September has 5 Saturdays you can schedule 12 games that season including a game the last week of August, (not the weekend).

As far as "it works well in Fargo". I'm not sure that is true. I think its very difficult for NDSU to get teams to come into the Fargodome and they take who they can get. I don't think they are turning down games against Cal-Poly, Montana, etc..I think they are finding teams that will come in.

I agree, during a 12 game season we need the to try and get an extra game at CAS. I don't agree with the idea that extra game should be a lower division team.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

You are allowed a 12th game certain years, I just don't remember the specifics. It has something to do with the first weekend in September. I believe during years in which September has 5 Saturdays you can schedule 12 games that season including a game the last week of August, (not the weekend).

As far as "it works well in Fargo". I'm not sure that is true. I think its very difficult for NDSU to get teams to come into the Fargodome and they take who they can get. I don't think they are turning down games against Cal-Poly, Montana, etc..I think they are finding teams that will come in.

I agree, during a 12 game season we need the to try and get an extra game at CAS. I don't agree with the idea that extra game should be a lower division team.
                      like everything else in this world it will come down to $$$.. Thanks for the info

Comment

I feel any home game is better then taking a bye or a road game. If we have a new stadium, having that extra game could mean extra revenue for the team even if its not the more diserable team to play. having home games is exciting and I dont want to play D-2 teams, I want to make that clear, but if we cant get a good FSC team, I would rather get a regional team then lose out on that home game.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Northern? I would be selling my season tickets if we ever scheduled a game against Northern State.

and id do the same if we played augie, sf or any other d2 school.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            and id do the same if we played augie, sf or any other d2 school.
                            I might not go as far as selling my season tickets but I won't attend that game. It won't be because I don't love watching the Jackrabbits play I just don't care to watch lower level football.

Comment

I will do my best to support the jacks no matter who or what level they are playing. So if your a nebraksa fan, your skipping the game when they play SDSU because they are better then playing some lower Division. If I could afford season tickets, I would be there no matter what but I guess thats just me.

Comment

I will do my best to support the jacks no matter who or what level they are playing. So if your a nebraksa fan, your skipping the game when they play SDSU because they are better then playing some lower Division. If I could afford season tickets, I would be there no matter what but I guess thats just me.
                                Im guessing there are a lot of season ticket holders at Nebraska that didnt go to the SDSU game, instead sold them to someone else. My nephew is a big husker fan but only gets to one game a year. Last year he went to the SDSU game because he said it would be easy to get tickets. When we got to the tailgate area they always go to he said it usually is packed by noon. So yea, im think even the husker season ticket holders will skip a game against a lower division. But they wont have any problems selling them to some other husker fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X