GDT Delaware BlueHens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT Delaware BlueHens

Haven't felt like eating crow until today, and I'm still just pissed about our first game. We didn't look like the 39th ranked team on Saturday, let alone the 9th. Just really frustrating. Objectively, there wasn't one aspect of the game as an SDSU fan where you could say, "well, at least we looked good on this side of the ball."

I know second guessing does no one any good and even someone flipping burgers for McDonald's doesn't to be kicked when they are down, but a couple things I have to get off my chest.

- Our offensive play calling has been a mystery for me a while. Saturday's game didn't give me any reason to think we've changed that problem. Delaware's play calling was far an away more impressive and had our D on its heals from the first quarter on. Our D looked confused, UD's Defense never looked confused.

- Going for it on 4th & 2 early in the first quarter was a panic move. It signaled to the team "we need to go for broke here because we can't win unless we start taking some risks". We were approximately 10 minutes into the game at that point and had suffered 2 bad turnovers and horrible field position. If we punt there and stick them with their backs to their own endzone, maybe we give our D a chance to get their wits about them and feet under them. Instead, we gave them another short field and told the D, "go get 'em fellas. Sorry about giving you 40 yards to work with again. Have at it." No wonder the D looked a step slow all day. They didn't have a chance to breath and they were asked to defend on their own 40 3 straight times.

- One terrible game does not a season make. If we come out against ISU and get it clicking, the UD game will be easier to put behind us. We NEED a really strong showing on Saturday to have any hope of playing well at Nebraska.

To all the classy UD fans: You beat us at our own game. The only team getting pushed around and beat up physically was the team from the midwest. Congrats to you and good luck the rest of the season. I hope we get a rematch in the playoffs.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      Haven't felt like eating crow until today, and I'm still just pissed about our first game. We didn't look like the 39th ranked team on Saturday, let alone the 9th. Just really frustrating. Objectively, there wasn't one aspect of the game as an SDSU fan where you could say, "well, at least we looked good on this side of the ball."

I know second guessing does no one any good and even someone flipping burgers for McDonald's doesn't to be kicked when they are down, but a couple things I have to get off my chest.

- Our offensive play calling has been a mystery for me a while. Saturday's game didn't give me any reason to think we've changed that problem. Delaware's play calling was far an away more impressive and had our D on its heals from the first quarter on. Our D looked confused, UD's Defense never looked confused.

- Going for it on 4th & 2 early in the first quarter was a panic move. It signaled to the team "we need to go for broke here because we can't win unless we start taking some risks". We were approximately 10 minutes into the game at that point and had suffered 2 bad turnovers and horrible field position. If we punt there and stick them with their backs to their own endzone, maybe we give our D a chance to get their wits about them and feet under them. Instead, we gave them another short field and told the D, "go get 'em fellas. Sorry about giving you 40 yards to work with again. Have at it." No wonder the D looked a step slow all day. They didn't have a chance to breath and they were asked to defend on their own 40 3 straight times.

- One terrible game does not a season make. If we come out against ISU and get it clicking, the UD game will be easier to put behind us. We NEED a really strong showing on Saturday to have any hope of playing well at Nebraska.

To all the classy UD fans: You beat us at our own game. The only team getting pushed around and beat up physically was the team from the midwest. Congrats to you and good luck the rest of the season. I hope we get a rematch in the playoffs.
      A couple of quick questions I can't answer. Did our coaches feel that they had to limit play calls because of match-up issues or talent limits? Was our defense outmatched, was their game plan better or both? Did the early penalties occur because we weren't ready or because of the atmosphere?

Our offense doesn't need to put up 30 points a game but they do need to possess the ball and keep our defense off the field while managing field position. I don't think anyone expects an offensive explosion from this team this year, we just don't have the personnel. That said, this game has to be our worst performance of the year or its going to be a long one.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        I agree. Everything just seems too predictable and vanilla.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          I had a REALLY great time in Newark. And I would readily go there again to see another game.
          Glad to hear you had a good experience... 99.9% of UD fans want to be great hosts, and make sure our visitors are treated with great respect, enjoy themselves and want to come back.... except for Villanova fans. They can eat $hit and die....and I've been saying that since the early '60's.

Comment

My spouse reminds me of of the first game of the season in 2008, Ryan Berry's senior year. Iowa State. After that rough start, Berry and his Jackrabbits had an exciting season against top competition, ending at Fargo with a big win over the Bison. It was the season in which, despite the terrible start, SDSU showed it was a power to be reckoned with in FCS football.

I'm putting that Delaware game in the far reaches of my memory...let it gather dust.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              I agree. Everything just seems too predictable and vanilla.
              I was always impressed with the offfense with Berry as QB. It seems to have gone away from many of the different formations we used those years. We use to run a spit back field, not just the I formation. We would pass in what looked like running sets and vise versa. I feel we have enough talent to do better then this. I still think we will do well in confrence, but its gonna take some work. Sometimes I would like to be a fly on the wall in the coaches office to see the behinds the scene type stuff.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I'm not on the Tiefenthaler bandwagon. I don't think any of us have seen enough to make a sound judgement on him. Once you see him in person you will see his physical stature makes him look like a high school player out there compared to the rest of the college guys.
                You could be right. But as I recall, some puny guy named Mariani ran circles around us at Montana... he's not exactly built like Terrell Owens.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  My spouse reminds me of of the first game of the season in 2008, Ryan Berry's senior year. Iowa State. After that rough start, Berry and his Jackrabbits had an exciting season against top competition, ending at Fargo with a big win over the Bison. It was the season in which, despite the terrible start, SDSU showed it was a power to be reckoned with in FCS football.

I'm putting that Delaware game in the far reaches of my memory...let it gather dust.
                  I disagree. Never forget these games. Never forget the Montana game, as soon as you forget you allow it to happen again. To pretend it didn't happen does not help. Take the game and learn from it is the most important thing they will do.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    I had a REALLY great time in Newark. And I would readily go there again to see another game.
                    Rabid,
                    I'm glad you managed to have a great trip in spite of the game's outcome. I will say this: I was VERY impressed with the number of fans SDSU brought to Delaware Stadium especially for the distance they had to travel. There are teams in our own conference that do not bring that many to Newark. Big Kudos to the SDSU fans that made the trip. I welcomed several that I saw in the parking lot and in the stands.
                    Also, thanks for coming on to GoHens.net in the days leading up to the game along with ThreeCatRabbit and JackedRabbit (maybe others - sorry if I left you out). The discussion on both boards leading up to this game was fantastic and respectful.

Good luck the rest of the way Jacks, you have some very classy fans and a classy coach - I saw the post game press conference. He is setting a good example for the young men on his team.

Comment

Working...
                    X