Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU at Delaware

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
    My Cover is blown!!! Thanks for the shout out Oldhen. I'm the guy in the helmet (class of '09) and my girl friend, now wife is the blonde.
    Well it looks to me you have done pretty well for yourself then!
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Gameday link on GoJacks, perhaps it's already been posted.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204980893
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
        My Cover is blown!!! Thanks for the shout out Oldhen. I'm the guy in the helmet (class of '09) and my girl friend, now wife is the blonde.
        Smart move UD1Hens of dating that hottie while wearing a helmet. Keep that helmet on until about your 10th wedding anniversary as by then she won't want to break in a new husband no matter what you look like.

Comment

Originally posted by blukeys View Post
          Smart move UD1Hens of dating that hottie while wearing a helmet. Keep that helmet on until about your 10th wedding anniversary as by then she won't want to break in a new husband no matter what you look like.
          Was there a guy with a FB helmut on? Maybe even one with blue hair? I was distracted by the belly button and the belly it is buttoning. Is that a real tattoo?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SWEET SWEET BLISS

It's gameday!

Let's kick some Blue Hen butt Jackrabbits!
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Oldhen View Post
              To get some juices flowing...

Props for the yellow and blue uniforms. Any team that wears yellow and blue I can cheer for, unless they are playing my team in yellow and blue. Maybe a touch to much of the mich wolvirnes look, but still sharp. Oddly the stadium with the pictures as a similar feel.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

UD game notes are finally up...

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/f...sdsu-notes.pdf

Go Hens!

Comment

Alright Rabbits, game day. Finally we can get some answers to our debate the past week. Hopefully both teams exit with no injuries and the boys in the blue and yellow come out on top...oh wait.

Don't know what to expect but I'm pumped. I say Hens 23-17...Big surprise huh? Thanks for the friendly chatter, I'll be here tonight or tomorrow regardless of the outcome.

Comment

I suspect the Delaware yellow and blue comes from the original colony settlers who happened to be Swedes and what color is the Swedish flag? Blue field with a Yellow cross. Several years ago, I worked with some auto dealers in Delaware. One thing I noticed was all the street signs in most of the towns I traveled through were yellow and blue. Apparently this color combination goes beyond the school colors for U of Delaware.

Yes its a great combination. Ironically SDSU has worn blue jerseys and yellow pants on numerous occasions that is displayed in one of the photos posted here. In fact the one picture looks like the Jacks taking the field. The Michigan helmets seems to be one thing we dont dare replicate. Or do I have wrong? Michigan copied Delaware helmets.

May the best team win today, and please come back Hen fans and share your observations on the game.

Comment

All I can say is:

1. FINALLY!

2. The pictures do remind me of SDSU home games. Crazy.

3. GO JACKS!

4. FINALLY!
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        The Michigan helmets seems to be one thing we dont dare replicate. Or do I have wrong? Michigan copied Delaware helmets.
                        Delaware coach David Nelson (1951-1965) also brought with him another icon of Delaware football: the "winged" helmet. The iconic "Michigan" style helmet was developed by Nelson's coach at Michigan, Fritz Crisler (who first used the helmet design when he was head coach at Princeton (albeit in black and orange)). Nelson played for Crisler when Crisler was head coach at Michigan, and Nelson brought the helmet design with him where ever he coached (Hillsdale College, Harvard, Maine and Delaware).[2] Nelson stepped down as football coach in 1965, and in his 15 years (1951–1965), the Hens compiled an 84-42-2 (.664) record with one National Championship in 1963.

So in short...Princeton coach Crisler developed it, went to Michigan. Nelson played at Michigan for Crisler. Nelson brought it to UD where it stuck. The following coach, Tubby Raymond played for coach Crisler at Michigan (QB/LB) and coached under Nelson. So a ton of Michigan ties to the program besides the helmet.

Sidenote: Coach Keeler is only Delaware's 4th coach since 1940. The 3 previous coaches (Bill Murray, David Nelson, and Tubby Raymond) all are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Comment

Interesting history. I think many schools copied the helmet "design" which seems to have had a purpose other than appearance. I've seen some old leather helmets with the same design used by Watertown High School decades ago. The "wings" above the forward were an extra layer of leather presumably for protection. The Watertown helmets were dark brown and the wings etc were light brown.

I'm anxious to get this season off the ground. Sure hope WNAX's signal is a strong one today.

Comment

From today's local paper;

NEWARK -- Two teams with January national championship aspirations play a September game today with potential postseason ramifications.

Delaware and South Dakota State have many significant confrontations remaining after today's 1 p.m. nonconference tussle at Delaware Stadium.
                            The Blue Hens must tip-toe through the minefield that is the Colonial Athletic Association, which has sent 14 teams to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs the last three seasons.
                            South Dakota State has to withstand the rigors of the Missouri Valley Conference, which has had more than one playoff team for 15 straight years. So South Dakota State-Delaware matters.
                            "Surely this game will have an impact," 14th-year Jackrabbits coach John Stiegelmeier said. "It's two ranked teams so people, I think, are going to pay attention to it. Where do we really fit into this food chain in the top 20 or 25 teams?"

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ng-to-Delaware

Comment

From the Argus Leader, Mick did a good job stepping in for TV.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...32/1002/sports
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                From the Argus Leader, Mick did a good job stepping in for TV.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...32/1002/sports
                                Only mistake is Delaware returns 17 starters...not 10. Big difference when there's only 22 players.

Comment

Working...
                                X