Kansas in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kansas in 2012

While I do appreciate the enthusiasm and positive thinking in this situation, having a redshirt freshman start his first game in a BCS game is less than ideal. Moreover, I think there will be a noticeable drop-off from Austin to Kline. There are some of you who will undoubtedly disagree with me. That is fine. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I'm guessing we won't find out if Austin is starting or not until Saturday.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Officially, there are too many worriers/pessimist posters. Im an optimist and proud of it. Hah. If it was a knee injury I a lot would more concerned than a thumb injury. Just because he is doubtful means nothing on a Monday. Thurs/fri then yes but it was Monday. If the doctors say there is a very slim chance of injuring it and Sumner grip and throw a football at even 85-90%. I would take a year improved of Sumner against a FBS opponent than an unproven freshmen that has never faced a D1 defense.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        While I do appreciate the enthusiasm and positive thinking in this situation, having a redshirt freshman start his first game in a BCS game is less than ideal. Moreover, I think there will be a noticeable drop-off from Austin to Kline. There are some of you who will undoubtedly disagree with me. That is fine. I hope I'm proven wrong. I'm guessing we won't find out if Austin is starting or not until Saturday.
        Exactly what I've been thinking. Austin really took about 2-3 games to really start reading the defenses well and that was against FCS defenses. Personally, with Kline being a more mobile dual threat than Sumner, not disclosing whether he plays or not until game time is genius. Also if he doesn't play I'd be disappointed and suprisef but I would get it. Sumner is a tough kid, but I would be not be surprised at all if he played.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Losing the game to KU would be no big deal and it would be out of our minds in a matter of days. Losing Sumner for even longer because he takes a hit to the thumb against KU would be a MAJOR downer that would affect the team (and us fans) for weeks. I'm sure the coaches feel the same way and will be very conservative this weekend. We need Sumner for the MVC games.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Exactly what I've been thinking. Austin really took about 2-3 games to really start reading the defenses well and that was against FCS defenses. Personally, with Kline being a more mobile dual threat than Sumner, not disclosing whether he plays or not until game time is genius. Also if he doesn't play I'd be disappointed and suprisef but I would get it. Sumner is a tough kid, but I would be not be surprised at all if he played.
            Maybe I should clarify. If Sumner is not ready to go and there is any question, I don't think he should play. Furthermore, I do think we will have a noticeable drop-off at QB, but given the circumstances, that's what we have to deal with if he can't play. I agree with Southeast that we need him following week 1 more than we need him week 1 given the nature of FCS football.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              This ^^^

The thumb is pretty important for throwing a football.
              Also to suck on for all the armchair orthopedic doctors on this string.

Comment

Just curious what will shake down come Saturday. If Kline starts, what will the playbook look like? Will it be scaled way back as in recent years? There's really no way to know with a new offensive coordinator. Having so many injuries is a major bummer. Between those and an improved Kansas team, I've scaled back my hopes for a win. Very interested to tune in and hear how it goes...considering there won't be a way to watch on TV.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  Just curious what will shake down come Saturday. If Kline starts, what will the playbook look like? Will it be scaled way back as in recent years? There's really no way to know with a new offensive coordinator. Having so many injuries is a major bummer. Between those and an improved Kansas team, I've scaled back my hopes for a win. Very interested to tune in and hear how it goes...considering there won't be a way to watch on TV.
                  I read between the lines so maybe I read wrong. but listening to Stig and reading a few tidbits bout camp I get the impression that Klien will run the Flash formation. Partly due to his abilities as well as the lack of RB's available. So I wonder if that won't be the primary set up, and then work in the rest of the argument. Just my guess though. Stig did talk about how last year he wanted to run right away, and this year he was going through reads more.

Comment

Losing Sumner is not a good thing. BUT, don't forget Kline was one of the top, and by some accounts, the best quarterback in Minnesota his senior year. Every weekend his Blaine team played tough competition. My brother in law's sons attend Blaine. My brother in law was a college football player -- and a very good one -- and he'll tell you Kline is the real deal.

We need AT LEAST TWO GOOD QUARTERBACKS.

So, borrowing some of the sage advice of Donald Sutherland's Oddball on Kelly's Heroes: "don't give me those negative vibes, man!"

Comment

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/28...ted-depth.html

and

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/27...e-as-most.html

Comment

I am probably going to be stuck with my in laws in rapid city during the game. What radio stations are the jacks on in rc? Or I might have to use my smart phone radio and search for KS stations to stream the game on. Thank goodness for unlimited data.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Goon: go to Thirsty's Bar in Rapid for the Jackrabbit Watch Party. They'll have the game on the big screen and lots of West-River Jacks loyalists will be present.

Comment

Points from Weis's press conference in the Lawrence newspaper:
                            http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/new...ress-conferen/

Comment

Incidently, I listened to the Weis press conference from Tuesday afternoon (link below) and the newpaper reporter got one of the quotes wrong. In the weblog, cited in the preceding post, the reporter 'quoted' Weis as follows:
                              If KU plays great, people will say, "Well, it was South Dakota State." If KU wins a close game, people will say, "It was South Dakota State." Weis takes every game seriously.

The second part of the 'quote' is wrong. Here's the actual statement by Weis:

"...If you play great, people will say Well, it was just South Dakota State Okay, if you lose by a close one, they'll say, Well, it was South Dakota State. I don't think you can be disrespectful of any opponent....."

Listening to the press conference, one can tell from his voice inflection that in the first instance, playing great and winning, some will downplay the opponent but in the second instance, losing by a close one, he was pointing out some will say "Well, it was South Dakota State" in the sense that it is a good FCS program. The bottom line and my point is: Weis is a reasonable guy and isn't going to say something real dumb in advance of a game (compare: Former MN Gopher coach Brewster and his stupid "little green men" comment in advance of the NDSU game a few years ago). He's been repeating the "one game at a time" mantra and making clear his team is not overconfident etc. He's responding to the usual questions from the media that one would expect whenever an FBS program hosts and FCS program. I'm sure Weis, having experienced his shares of losses, is focused on getting a win...as are the Jackrabbits and their coaches.

I'm looking forward to this opener.

Link to the audio of the press conference: http://www2.kusports.com/podcasts/pr...-charlie-weis/

Comment

Wow Charlie Wies is a walking massive cornary. He needs to get over to the fitness center and drop some pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X