Omaha beats ORU
    IUPUI beats USD and IPFW
    NDSU loses to SDSU and beats Denver
    ORU loses to Omaha and SDSU
    Denver loses to NDSU
    USD loses to IUPUI and beats WIU
    WIU loses to IPFW and USD

The standings would look like this:

Using the tie breaking procedure, it would come down to RPI between SDSU and IPFW due to their tied head to head record (1-1), and tied collective record against Omaha and IUPUI (2-2), and since SDSU has a higher RPI, we would get the #1 seed (and the auto bid to the NIT I believe). The seeding for the tournament would shake out like this:
    I think what you are proposing could certainly happen. However, I think IPFW still gets the #1 seed based on the fact that they were 2-0 against UNO while the jacks were 1-1. Both teams split with NDSU and ORU. That would give IPFW a 1 game advantage in any scenario if the Jacks and IPFW finish in a tie.

Short story....Jacks are the #2 seed almost certainly. Here's the rules, maybe I'm interpreting them wrong.

•If there are multiple ties, the ties shall be broken in descending order. (i.e., a tie at the #1 position will be broken before any others).
    •Once a tie is broken using the procedures below, it shall remain broken for purposes of all future comparisons.
    •Two-team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied (in order) to break ties between two teams:

1.Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
    2.Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
    3.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
    4.If a tie still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1), (2) and (3), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game).

•Multiple-Team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied to break ties between more than two teams:
    1.Results of each tied team's collective record against the other teams tied for the same position.
    2.If multiple ties still remain, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team or group (if 2 or more are tied) occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
    3.If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.
    4.If a tie involving three or more teams still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1) and (2), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game.)
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

• Re: 2015-2016 Road to Sioux Falls

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I think what you are proposing could certainly happen. However, I think IPFW still gets the #1 seed based on the fact that they were 2-0 against UNO while the jacks were 1-1. Both teams split with NDSU and ORU. That would give IPFW a 1 game advantage in any scenario if the Jacks and IPFW finish in a tie.

Short story....Jacks are the #2 seed almost certainly. Here's the rules, maybe I'm interpreting them wrong.

•If there are multiple ties, the ties shall be broken in descending order. (i.e., a tie at the #1 position will be broken before any others).
      •Once a tie is broken using the procedures below, it shall remain broken for purposes of all future comparisons.
      •Two-team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied (in order) to break ties between two teams:

1.Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
      2.Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
      3.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
      4.If a tie still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1), (2) and (3), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game).

•Multiple-Team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied to break ties between more than two teams:
      1.Results of each tied team's collective record against the other teams tied for the same position.
      2.If multiple ties still remain, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team or group (if 2 or more are tied) occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
      3.If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.
      4.If a tie involving three or more teams still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1) and (2), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game.)
      The scenario that I laid out has Omaha and IUPUI tied in the standings, so this rule would come into play: 3.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

Since SDSU and IPFW's collective records against Omaha and IUPUI would both be 2-2, they would have to go to the RPI to figure out the higher seed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        The scenario that I laid out has Omaha and IUPUI tied in the standings, so this rule would come into play: 3.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

Since SDSU and IPFW's collective records against Omaha and IUPUI would both be 2-2, they would have to go to the RPI to figure out the higher seed.
        Yep, I missed that part.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

For several reasons, including the regular season conference title and the automatic NIT bid, I'd love to see this scenario play out. In addition, The 8:30 game on Monday night makes the early morning Tuesday a little rough.....

Comment

For several reasons, including the regular season conference title and the automatic NIT bid, I'd love to see this scenario play out. In addition, The 8:30 game on Monday night makes the early morning Tuesday a little rough.....
            I believe that the regular season conference title would be split (co-champions), as the tie breaking procedures are only used for determining seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              I believe that the regular season conference title would be split (co-champions), as the tie breaking procedures are only used for determining seeds.
              Right, then I assume, if IPFW or SDSU wins the conference tourney the other would get the auto-bid. ASSUME......

Comment

Right, then I assume, if IPFW or SDSU wins the conference tourney the other would get the auto-bid. ASSUME......
                That's a good question actually. A quick google search brought me to this "Any regular-season champion of an NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference’s tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification into the NIT." So, based on that, it sounds like the #1 seed in the tournament would get the NIT auto bid.

Comment

I'm about 95% sure that's incorrect. You have to win the tie-breaker per the conference rules or essentially be the #1 seed to get the auto-bid. Had we beaten NDSU last year they would not have been selected for the NIT.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blo...book/80757698/
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      I'm about 95% sure that's incorrect. You have to win the tie-breaker per the conference rules or essentially be the #1 seed to get the auto-bid. Had we beaten NDSU last year they would not have been selected for the NIT.
                      Right. No argument about that. Maybe it will turn out wise that the Summit doesn't declare a clear regular season champion. Maybe it won't.....

Comment

I remember in year's past reading that the auto-bid into the NIT is based off each respective conferences tie-breaking procedure for their conference tournament. That is confirmed by CappinHard's post above. Here is that statement direct from the NIT website:

NIT.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBohl View Post
                          Injured at the end of the 1st half. Serious blow to NDSU if he is out for a lengthy period of time.
                          Starting to sound like Paul Miller will be back this week but not until Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                            Starting to sound like Paul Miller will be back this week but not until Saturday.
                            Did they ever say the specifics of Paul Miller's injury (ACL/MCL, Sprain, etc...). I'm remembering correctly that it was a knee, right?
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

I believe Keaton Moffitt was scheduled to have his knee examined yesterday. Has anyone heard what the extent of the injury is ? Hopefully it is not season ending. It was encouraging to see Tevin King play his best game in awhile on Saturday. He will be getting bigger minutes if Moffitt is not available.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                I believe Keaton Moffitt was scheduled to have his knee examined yesterday. Has anyone heard what the extent of the injury is ? Hopefully it is not season ending. It was encouraging to see Tevin King play his best game in awhile on Saturday. He will be getting bigger minutes if Moffitt is not available.
                                Probably a few more minutes from severyn too. to bad for Keaton too because it seemed it was playing really really well down the stretch too.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X