2015-2016 Road to Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015-2016 Road to Sioux Falls

Ft Wayne has a couple of tough games to play with one at home against Omaha and the road game at IUPUI. It is a little early to christen the Mastodons. This looks to be a very competitive SLT this year. I checked for best seats at the Premier Center and it is on the second level center court.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Looking at the standings and remaining schedule, it looks like we have a pretty good shot at the #1 seed. If IPFW loses to either Omaha or IUPUI and we win out, I believe we end up with the #1 seed through tie breakers.

The more simple scenario is if they beat Omaha and WIU and lose to IUPUI. In that case, IUPUI would likely go to 3rd in the standings and we would have a 1-1 record against them and IUPUI would have an 0-2 record against them.

If they lose to Omaha and beat WIU and IUPUI, the our records would be the same against all of the summit league teams, so it would go to RPI, which SDSU would win (currently we are at 44 and IPFW is at 69).

Obviously the more important part is to get at least a 2 seed and get the extra day for rest, but it's interesting to look at. The more interesting race is to see who will end up with the 7 and 8 seeds between Denver, ORU, and USD. Looking at remaining schedules and the fact that USD owns the tie breaker over ORU, my guess is Denver 6, USD 7, and ORU 8.

Comment

Does anyone know what the tie breakers are?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          Does anyone know what the tie breakers are?

SUPERBUNNY

Tiebreaker Procedures
          Tiebreaker procedures shall be used ONLY to determine seeds for the League tournament. Regular season standings shall stand.

• If there are multiple ties, the ties shall be broken in descending order. (i.e., a tie at the #1 position will be broken before any others).
          • Once a tie is broken using the procedures below, it shall remain broken for purposes of all future comparisons.
          • Two-team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied (in order) to break ties between two teams:

1. Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
          2. Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
          3. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
          4. If a tie still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1), (2) and (3), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game).

• Multiple-Team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied to break ties between more than two teams:

1. Results of each tied team's collective record against the other teams tied for the same position.
          2. If multiple ties still remain, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team or group (if 2 or more are tied) occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
          3. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.
          4. If a tie involving three or more teams still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1) and (2), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game.)

Comment

Nice work SanDakotaState!

Well, that doesn't bode well for us the way I see it.

1. IPFW with a win over Omaha would have the edge on us because of our loss in Omaha giving them in effect a two game advantage.
            2. If IPFW beats Omaha but loses to IUPUI then we would have the tiebreaker due to our home victory against IUPUI against IPFW two loses.

Then it really would get kinky after that. Of course, this is all assuming SDSU wins out.

Bottom line is SDSU needs three wins and some help to win the #1 seed.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

2. If IPFW beats Omaha but loses to IUPUI then we would have the tiebreaker due to our home victory against IUPUI against IPFW two loses.

SUPERBUNNY
              Only if IUPUI finishes ahead of Omaha in the final standings.

Comment

Well, that doesn't bode well for us the way I see it.

1. IPFW with a win over Omaha would have the edge on us because of our loss in Omaha giving them in effect a two game advantage.

Then it really would get kinky after that. Of course, this is all assuming SDSU wins out.

SUPERBUNNY
                Pretty simple. If IPFW loses to either Omaha or IUPUI and we win out, we get #1 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Pretty simple. If IPFW loses to either Omaha or IUPUI and we win out, we get #1 seed.
                  No it's not. If they beat Omaha then lose to IUPUI and we win out IUPUI MUST finish ahead of Omaha for us to win the tie breaker.

It's not just dependent on what IPFW does it's also dependent on where Omaha and IUPUI finish.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    No it's not. If they beat Omaha then lose to IUPUI and we win out IUPUI MUST finish ahead of Omaha for us to win the tie breaker.

It's not just dependent on what IPFW does it's also dependent on where Omaha and IUPUI finish.

True, I was incorrectly assuming that IUPUI would finish ahead of Omaha, definitely not a safe assumption with a trip to NDSU and a home game against a dangerous USD team. It is nice to have the RPI tie breaker over IPFW, because it could come down to that if IPFW splits with Omaha and IUPUI, and those two tie for 3rd.

Comment

ORU is currently the #6 seed while Denver is the #7 seed as Golden Eagles win over Pioneers tonight in Tulsa.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Interesting how many thought Denver would come in and dominate the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          Interesting how many thought Denver would come in and dominate the Summit.
                          Everyone calls Denver's offense Princeton offense and maybe that's the current and correct title, but at the high school level in the late 1950's a coach at Huron High School, Carrol Heir, ran a very similar offense and they won at least one state championship with that offense. He had guys like Nick Brod, Denny Busch, Rex Swett, John Earhart who were gifted athletes and ran that very patient offense without any 30 second time clocks. The point I trying to make is that this type of offense is not new. Its been around for a long time. Brod and Busch contributed at SDSU, Swett went on to play at U of Nebraska, and Johnny Earhart played for USD. After leaving Huron High they had to adapt to new offenses and they did. It has not worked that well for Denver though, and I think they need to try something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Everyone calls Denver's offense Princeton offense and maybe that's the current and correct title, but at the high school level in the late 1950's a coach at Huron High School, Carrol Heir, ran a very similar offense and they won at least one state championship with that offense. He had guys like Nick Brod, Denny Busch, Rex Swett, John Earhart who were gifted athletes and ran that very patient offense without any 30 second time clocks. The point I trying to make is that this type of offense is not new. Its been around for a long time. Brod and Busch contributed at SDSU, Swett went on to play at U of Nebraska, and Johnny Earhart played for USD. After leaving Huron High they had to adapt to new offenses and they did. It has not worked that well for Denver though, and I think they need to try something else.
                            I watched both Denver games and there isn't anything about that team that scares me. If I had to pick one team to play in the Summit League, Denver would be it. That offense is brutal. They pass up all kinds of good shots just to throw up a prayer with under 5 on the shot clock. Dumb.

Now, I'm no basketball coach, but I did watch two games last night in my room at Holiday Inn Express, so...

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I watched both Denver games and there isn't anything about that team that scares me. If I had to pick one team to play in the Summit League, Denver would be it. That offense is brutal. They pass up all kinds of good shots just to throw up a prayer with under 5 on the shot clock. Dumb.

Now, I'm no basketball coach, but I did watch two games last night in my room at Holiday Inn Express, so...

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
                              I don't think you read a word of my post. That's okay I did not read your either.

Comment

IPFW beats Omaha 94-90. IPFW clinches a top 2 seed; Omaha is 9-6 in league. They can't finish ahead of Jacks due to Jacks win over IPFW.

Comment

Working...
                                X