Summit at the Falls 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit at the Falls 2013

Location of a new arena is an easy problem. There are many who wish for a location and facility to host the Summit tourney. We have a workable location with the future look of more games to come. Meanwhile, there are a few who may need to ride the shuttle and the Jacks will enjoy a partisan crowd. The largest crowd will not exceed last year's crowd by huge margins so the parking situation should not be crippling. Tickets for Saturday night might be hard to buy.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      And complaining about this accomplishes what?
      Call it what you want but no matter how you slice it, its far from ideal having 3 buildings connected to each other with out parking to accomadate multiple events. I feel its only going to cause more issues with booking more events in the future.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Call it what you want but no matter how you slice it, its far from ideal having 3 buildings connected to each other with out parking to accomadate multiple events. I feel its only going to cause more issues with booking more events in the future.
        The solution is simple, if somewhat unsavory.

No more free parking.

Five bucks per vehicle, and presto! No more parking problems for the Arena/Event Center/Convention Center.

Of course, the Sheraton will also have to go to a controlled-parking solution as well, to keep freeloaders from poaching parking spots near the hotel.

Progress! (Our little Sioux Falls is growing up.)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          The solution is simple, if somewhat unsavory.

No more free parking.

Five bucks per vehicle, and presto! No more parking problems for the Arena/Event Center/Convention Center.

Of course, the Sheraton will also have to go to a controlled-parking solution as well, to keep freeloaders from poaching parking spots near the hotel.

Progress! (Our little Sioux Falls is growing up.)
          Or a parking ramp I suppose.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Or a parking ramp I suppose.
            Parking ramps are crazy expensive.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Parking ramps are crazy expensive.
              Yep but helps solve a lot of parking issues espcially if their are multiple events. Turn the ramp in to paid parking to use it. Otherwise your on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Location of a new arena is an easy problem. There are many who wish for a location and facility to host the Summit tourney. We have a workable location with the future look of more games to come. Meanwhile, there are a few who may need to ride the shuttle and the Jacks will enjoy a partisan crowd. The largest crowd will not exceed last year's crowd by huge margins so the parking situation should not be crippling. Tickets for Saturday night might be hard to buy.
                I don't think you can find a ticket for Saturday evenings session as of right now. Parking is going to be very difficult. I'm glad we are staying right across the street.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I don't think you can find a ticket for Saturday evenings session as of right now. Parking is going to be very difficult. I'm glad we are staying right across the street.
                  I just checked ticketmaster and failed to find even a single ticket for that Saturday night session. None.

For the monday night session, Ticketmaster showed the "best available" pair of seats to be in Section S, Row 10. That is in the extreme corner of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    From SFSA FACEBOOK PAGE. "Wondering where you can park during the 2013 Summit League tournament? Wonder no more! Shuttles will also be available from Elmwood Golf Course and McCart Field on Saturday and Sunday."

Parking map: http://sfsportsauthority.org/wp-cont...od-Parking.pdf
                    A fairly good sized portion of parking to the south and west of the old arena is gone. If you can carpool or use the shuttles do it. The Sheraton, BW's, Boonies, and the other businesses around the arena are going to be a zoo Saturday. This link deserves its own thread.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Turning away from parking for a moment. Let's talk about the fun stuff after you have left your car. This year the Alumni Association, Athletics, the Foundation, and the Sioux Empire Staters Alumni Chapter have teamed up for the Summit League Pregame Rallies. This is for Alumni and Friends of SDSU. A change from previous years, the events will be held in the Sheraton Hotel (connected to the Arena). We hope to see you all there.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Comment

The Sports Lounge 5 March 5, 2013
                        https://archive.org/details/TheSportsLounge5March32013

0:00-20:20 Travis, Marcus and Drue preview the 2013 Men's Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls.

20:20-36:40 Preview of the 2013 Women's Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls.

36.40-1:06.34: Steve Hickey, South Dakota State Representative, spends some time with The Sports Lounge discussing his stance on regulating Mixed Martial Arts in South Dakota.
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Saturday night session is SOLD OUT. #CANT WAIT

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                            Turning away from parking for a moment. Let's talk about the fun stuff after you have left your car. This year the Alumni Association, Athletics, the Foundation, and the Sioux Empire Staters Alumni Chapter have teamed up for the Summit League Pregame Rallies. This is for Alumni and Friends of SDSU. A change from previous years, the events will be held in the Sheraton Hotel (connected to the Arena). We hope to see you all there.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!
                            Is the Sheraton stocking up on beverages? I have seen many events like this go awry when hotels or event centers underestimate the number of beverages people might consume. In other words, you can never have too many drinks available, never.

I know the people in our alumni dept are always well prepared, I get more concerned that those managing the event don't listen to the group organizing the gathering. It happens all the time. The Sheraton is likely to be packed with Jackrabbit fans (thousands?) on Saturday afternoon. My guess is a good portion will be thirsty for a beer...........or seven.

Comment

Like all new things there are apt to be hiccups that will provide us opportunities for improvement as we move forward. We have requested 7 beverage stations (cash bars) inside and outside of the Fontenelle room. We have shared with them actual attendance numbers from our past four years - but I too share your concerns as you are correct it seems most venues do think we are exaggerating our attendance or they overestimate their staff's ability to handle our fans (or maybe a little or both). I have some great stories, but I will save them. Lets just say the Association does over 120 events each year - we know what we are talking about - and the venues who listen to us do better then the ones who think they know.

In the end I am confident that we will have good events this year and everyone will enjoy themselves. It is going to be a lot of fun to totally take over the Sheraton. See everyone on Saturday!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                                Like all new things there are apt to be hiccups that will provide us opportunities for improvement as we move forward. We have requested 7 beverage stations (cash bars) inside and outside of the Fontenelle room. We have shared with them actual attendance numbers from our past four years - but I too share your concerns as you are correct it seems most venues do think we are exaggerating our attendance or they overestimate their staff's ability to handle our fans (or maybe a little or both). I have some great stories, but I will save them. Lets just say the Association does over 120 events each year - we know what we are talking about - and the venues who listen to us do better then the ones who think they know.

In the end I am confident that we will have good events this year and everyone will enjoy themselves. It is going to be a lot of fun to totally take over the Sheraton. See everyone on Saturday!

Go State!
                                I know right where you are coming from and hope those attending understand as well. I know the Bison fans basically overwhelmed the entire community of Frisco, TX last year for the FB championship.

I'm not sure history of these events will be much of a guide this year. Its a "perfect storm" of sorts. Jackrabbit women at 12 noon followed by a women's game with little to no interest for casual fans. Jackrabbit men at 6 pm, a trip too far from the arena may not be practical especially given the parking difficulties that will be encountered. Some people in shuttle lots not wanting to leave the venue. The option to walk 2 minutes through and enclosed hallway to a large room full of Jackrabbit fans with food options and beverages for purchase.

I think its going to be crazy in the Sheraton starting about 2:30 pm on Saturday. I know the party officially starts 2 1/2 hours before the 6 pm game, people will mingle and wait in the lobby or stay at the game. The Sheraton would be wise to be fully stocked to serve at least a thousand. I don't think I am crazy to suggest that.

Comment

Working...
                                X