• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMKC to the WAC?

KC Star story - talks about us to the MVC

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07...-athletic.html

Comment

Had a long, informative interview with DU's AD. Will post shortly. The lede is that UMKC's departure was anticipated when DU joined.
      https://twitter.com/MileHighMids/sta...27563515895809

Comment

Huh.

So.

Does Denver think that the various shifts and changes will eventually pull the Pioneers into the Valley?

WTF is going on, anyway????!!!??
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Vicks Dead PitBulls View Post
          After looking briefly at the MVC fan forum, it seems that they value geography and basketball first schools. They don't believe the XDSU's would offer much of anything except bigger travel costs. It would be interesting to know what the presidents and AD's thought about NDSU/SDSU, as they are the decision makers. Would the Valley football playing schools have enough clout to bring us in if NDSU/SDSU/USD had to join Big Sky for a conference if the Summit collapses? Would the Valley football teams really care enough to lobby? It would weaken the football conference and potentially jeopardize the MVFC auto. Is anyone in the Valley other than Creighton being looked at by other conferences? if they lose a couple of non FB schools, I think the voting block would favor us. How would Western Illinois fit into all of this? Too many questions, no answers.

Nevertheless, I'm leaning towards zooropa's explanation, it makes the most sense. But there's a lot of ????'s with all this. I saw on bisonville that Oakland has removed the Summit logo from their court. Not sure if they were joking on that.
          IMO, Western plays well. They pay their coach MVC money already.

WIU, SDSU, NDSU, USD to the MVC. Book it.

WTF is going on...
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

And wow. Huh. Brendon Loy, eh? He came to prominence in the blogosphere as a hurricane-blogger when Katrina was approaching. Small world!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

He has his interview with the AD up on twitter now as well as some interesting quotes from their AD.

Comment

Interview with DU AD basically says, we're not worried too much, would like Summit League to stay same and be part of, but are prepared to find another league if needed.

I'm not going to buy the MVC expanding until Creighton and others leave, that can happen, but until then I'm hesitant to believe it. And Belmont and Oral Roberts bring as much to the table as XDSU's, with cheaper travel (especially if Creighton leaves).

If the conference stays the same, I'd propose going Northern Colorado ASAP. Then UND and a D-II Minnesota School. Then go after Eastern Illinois, UW-GB and UW-Milwaukee. Those would be my targets.
                Last edited by joeboo22; 02-07-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                  KC Star story - talks about us to the MVChttp://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07...-athletic.html
                  Kerkhoff covers KU and other major college sports. His speculation is simply that.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

UMKC is right about one thing. The WAC is now "solid", as they have 8 teams that no other conference would ever want. New Mexico State and Seattle will be moving on out.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      And wow. Huh. Brendon Loy, eh? He came to prominence in the blogosphere as a hurricane-blogger when Katrina was approaching. Small world!
                      Guy came across my radar as someone who wanted to avoid knowing who won the Super Bowl as long as possible: http://www.businessinsider.com/brend...lastman-2013-2

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        different theories.

1. they had no plans to make it public until next week
                        2. they expect other decisions conference balls to be dropped and don't want to go public until those fall
                        3. and is my guess..... they weren't prepared and figured who cares, lets wait
                        My theory: Stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          Kerkhoff covers KU and other major college sports. His speculation is simply that.
                          True enough, but he is a newspaper writer at a major newspaper speculating about SDSU & NDSU going to the MVC. This isn't some kid in his mom's basement writting a blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Guy came across my radar as someone who wanted to avoid knowing who won the Super Bowl as long as possible: http://www.businessinsider.com/brend...lastman-2013-2
                            As I recall, he was one of the first people to say about Katrina "You know, if this thing hits New Orleans, it could be really, really BAD." Ahead of the curve. Curious to see him pop up with a DU/Front Range college basketball blog.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Why would Belmont leave the OVC and what does ORU bring to the table? Solid BB and Baseball programs, poor academics and unstable future due to money issues. UNC isn't going to leave the Big Sky without a home for Football. Green Bay and Milwaukee aren't coming west and I see no reason why EIU would come our way. UND may someday end up in the Summit if the MVFC comes calling. Right now they seem happy even if some of their conference mates aren't thrilled with the new outlier. It is possible there is movement that facilitated UMKC heading to the WAC. However, it could also be that UMKC is a mess and fits in well with the mess that is the new WAC. The funniest item I read on this was on Brandon Loy's twitter account pasted below.

Brendan Loy‏@MileHighMidsThe surprise is UMKC didn't leave sooner. Bradley-Doppes thought they'd be gone months ago. Suspects they waited to assess ChiSt, UTPA adds.

If you are the UMKC administration and your waiting to assess the Chicago State and UTPA moves to the WAC how in touch are you really with what may be best for your school? I say we wait and see what happens. It is very possible that Denver joins next year, and that is the end of movement for a while. We shall see. I don't think we have a lot to worry about. Both NDSU and SDSU have made names for ourselves since moving up. Both schools have very good administrations who I trust. If we have to, we will find a home and we will be happy with that home.

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              Interview with DU AD basically says, we're not worried too much, would like Summit League to stay same and be part of, but are prepared to find another league if needed.

I'm not going to buy the MVC expanding until Creighton and others leave, that can happen, but until then I'm hesitant to believe it. And Belmont and Oral Roberts bring as much to the table as XDSU's, with cheaper travel (especially if Creighton leaves).

If the conference stays the same, I'd propose going Northern Colorado ASAP. Then UND and a D-II Minnesota School. Then go after Eastern Illinois, UW-GB and UW-Milwaukee. Those would be my targets.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                                True enough, but he is a newspaper writer at a major newspaper speculating about SDSU & NDSU going to the MVC. This isn't some kid in his mom's basement writting a blog.
                                I will say it is interesting that UMKC has wanted to leave for all this time but only now suddenly decide the time is right to bail.

Comment

Working...
                                X