Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND cancels Summit Site visit...

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
    Anyone else think maybe the Valley might have had a secret talk with USD about hanging in there and they will be in the Valley? UND is too far to go and USD really sits in a nice location? Pure speculation but it could be interesting
    I suppose that is a possible scenario but I thinking that USD is going Big Sky as AD Sayler in the argus article today made a comment about the President having to deal with the Summit, namely exit charges and what not.

Comment

There may be quite a debate in Vermillion on this. I'm guessing the the USD Ath Dept is finding alliance with the BSC appealing while the alumns may be concerned with renewing old rivalries.

This will be interesting. IMHO, USD will go BSC.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Pure speculation on my part, but wouldn't it be funny if USD decided to stay in the Summit and continue to pursue Valley membership, only to have the Big Sky withdraw their informal invitations to SUU and UND due to the weird number of conference teams that would result in adding 2 teams.

How fast would UND be back begging the Summit for membership?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

With Southern Utah leaving the Summit, and UND going Big Sky, and possibly USD going Big Sky...
          Does this hurt our automatic bid for conference tournament winner in hoops? How many teams are needed for this to stay in place?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            With Southern Utah leaving the Summit, and UND going Big Sky, and possibly USD going Big Sky...
            Does this hurt our automatic bid for conference tournament winner in hoops? How many teams are needed for this to stay in place?
            7 we are fine

Comment

An NDSU guy posted this on another board

With SUU and Centenary gone our RPI conference rating goes from 23 to 17. With SUU, USD and UND to the Big Sky their RPI goes from 18 to 26.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                An NDSU guy posted this on another board

With SUU and Centenary gone our RPI conference rating goes from 23 to 17. With SUU, USD and UND to the Big Sky their RPI goes from 18 to 26.
                If true, that's funny. Especially when you consider some comments made by both the XSD fans on how one of the great things the Big Sky offers is a stronger BB conference based on a better RPI.

Comment

My opinion over the past couple of years has changed from:

Welcome to DI, USD, but join a different conference(s) for all sports;
                  to
                  Okay, USD in the Summit, that can work, but different football conference;
                  to
                  Hmmm...USD to the Big Sky? Well, if they think it works, good luck. Had gotten accustomed to the notion of USD in the Summit and how tickets to a Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls will be a very hot commodity -- all good for the State.
                  to
                  Congrats USD on Big Sky invite which seemed all but certain.
                  to
                  WTF (no, that's not Wartburg College Track and Field), SUU and UND announcing but USD holding off? Very interesting. A great distraction from the political ads/cartoons on TV.

to now:
                  Ya know what? I could be sold on USD joining the MVFC as well as the Summit. I don't want to see USD flop (I think JimmyJack and I think alike on that subject) and I think the Big Sky will be a bigger budgetary bite and lets face it, no school has an open checkbook. All schools are depending on donations etc. and there's never enough money to do what we'd like. I am certain on one thing: I'm glad I'm not in the position of the decision makers...tough job these days and I wish them well.

This is great entertainment! (I'm not being sarcastic.) That's what we like about sports.

My opinion will probably change again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    My opinion over the past couple of years has changed from:

Welcome to DI, USD, but join a different conference(s) for all sports;
                    to
                    Okay, USD in the Summit, that can work, but different football conference;
                    to
                    Hmmm...USD to the Big Sky? Well, if they think it works, good luck. Had gotten accustomed to the notion of USD in the Summit and how tickets to a Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls will be a very hot commodity -- all good for the State.
                    to
                    Congrats USD on Big Sky invite which seemed all but certain.
                    to
                    WTF (no, that's not Wartburg College Track and Field), SUU and UND announcing but USD holding off? Very interesting. A great distraction from the political ads/cartoons on TV.

to now:
                    Ya know what? I could be sold on USD joining the MVFC as well as the Summit. I don't want to see USD flop (I think JimmyJack and I think alike on that subject) and I think the Big Sky will be a bigger budgetary bite and lets face it, no school has an open checkbook. All schools are depending on donations etc. and there's never enough money to do what we'd like. I am certain on one thing: I'm glad I'm not in the position of the decision makers...tough job these days and I wish them well.

This is great entertainment! (I'm not being sarcastic.) That's what we like about sports.

My opinion will probably change again tomorrow.
                    Yep,get out the popcorn, this isn't over yet.

Sayler's no dummy. If UND wants to announce, let em. It's not going to hurt for USD to take a little more time and see if they can still make a deal with the MVFC on their own.

Comment

IMO. An FCS level conference streched across 3 time zones lacks long term viability. If USD decides to go though I hope they make it work.

We all know that nothing is forever in terms of conference affiliation so perhaps this could be a stepping stone to growing the Ath Dept at USD? Then another move several yrs later to improve the geographic position?
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        If true, that's funny. Especially when you consider some comments made by both the XSD fans on how one of the great things the Big Sky offers is a stronger BB conference based on a better RPI.
                        My response on BV to a poster that thinks the Summit is the worst DI conference and wished we were in the BSC

Are you serious?? Summit has annually been 1-3 spots behind the BSC and even ahead a couple times in the RPI's both in the 20's with 13 Conferences worse than both.

2006-2007 RPI - Mid-Con finished 22 Big Sky 24
                        2007-2008 RPI - Summit 22 Big Sky 25
                        2008-2009 RPI - Summit 26 Big Sky 24
                        2009-2010 RPI - Summit 23 Big Sky 18

Hardly a "BIG" Difference
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

So I attempted to make a "chart" of sorts breaking down all the news from this weekend as well as some possible scenarios using the news and rumors we have up to this point, you can see it here. Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything or am misguided in any of the linkages. This might not even be useful after Monday, but it should help us visually grasp a little bit of what is going on up until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopsdude18 View Post
                            So I attempted to make a "chart" of sorts breaking down all the news from this weekend as well as some possible scenarios using the news and rumors we have up to this point, you can see it here. Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything or am misguided in any of the linkages. This might not even be useful after Monday, but it should help us visually grasp a little bit of what is going on up until then.
                            I find it interesting that you mention a oral to the southland move as an option... as to me it seems their fan base Ect. has been very unsettled by the way the new guys in the conference (XDSU's) have been able to deflate their sails and steal some of their thunder. let me make this prediction.. they will bolt if they feel they can be the "top dawg" in the new conference, and there looks to be instability with the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Ya know what? I could be sold on USD joining the MVFC as well as the Summit. I don't want to see USD flop (I think JimmyJack and I think alike on that subject) and I think the Big Sky will be a bigger budgetary bite and lets face it, no school has an open checkbook.
                              My thoughts exactly.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                I find it interesting that you mention a oral to the southland move as an option... as to me it seems their fan base Ect. has been very unsettled by the way the new guys in the conference (XDSU's) have been able to deflate their sails and steal some of their thunder. let me make this prediction.. they will bolt if they feel they can be the "top dawg" in the new conference, and there looks to be instability with the current situation.
                                Yeah, it's definitely something to consider. I think in basketball at least, ORU is always going to be a top-three team in the Summit League regardless of new additions. That would probably hold up in the Southland as well, in addition to giving them the possibility to bus to almost every single away game (which we can't undervalue). The Southland is, at best, a lateral move for them and one of the main reasons I can't see them going that way.

Now something interesting about your point with the Dakota State schools: our conference commish is no slouch, and it has become clear to me (at first this wasn't) lately of exactly why he opted to move the conference tournament to Sioux Falls. In a very big sense, Summit League's future stability comes from the Dakotas (something I think he really hoped to strengthen with USD as well) because of the fanbase and - as we have learned - quality of the athletics teams, especially basketball (neither NDSU or SDSU have been bottom feeders in their short time in TSL).

Now this is just a crazy conspiracy theory (I repeat, crazy conspiracy theory), but if Southland were to make a move for Oral Roberts and TSL feels it needs ORU bad enough, ORU will have an interesting bargaining power. They could surely throw the conference bball tournament out there as something they would need to bring back to Tulsa in order to stick with the conference. That would seem to go against conventional wisdom that it will be held in Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future. This absolutely happened already this year when Texas was on the verge of leaving the Big 12 (and if they moved, that conference would have ceased to exist more or less), and the commish over there (correct me if I'm wrong) came out with a new revenue distribution method that would essentially pay Texas a lot more than the other Big 12 schools. It could certainly happen at this level, too, but at the same time we might not need to be as reliant on a single school (ORU) as the Big 12 seemed to be this summer. In other words, it might not be the end of the world if ORU left. I don't see any of the other 7 schools panicking and opting to go elsewhere if not only because the options might not exist right now (of course in 5 years I hope you guys are in MVC and Oakland is in Horizon, etc, etc).

Comment

Working...
                                X