UND cancels Summit Site visit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND cancels Summit Site visit...

ORU isn't going to the Southland. The Southland in years past told ORU that they had no interest because they are a private faith based school while the rest of the Southland is public.

Oh and by the way the Summit Tourney came to SF because they made the best bid not because TD wanted it here.

The Summit 8 are solid as a matter of fact we don't know that USD is going to leave. SUU and UND have a presser scheduled for Monday but USD doesn't and a UNI guy posted this on another board yesterday.

On the halftime show of the UNI game the the associate commish of the Valley said there is a chance of having a two division conference with the summit as one division and the MVC as the other. Personally this sounds like a great idea to me, but I think it is one of the least likely scenarios. What sounded most likely is having games scheduled with UND and USD, but them not really being members or something like that I didn't really understand what he was getting at.

UND is going to be bitter if USD doesn't go to the BSC and Montana and Montana State go to the WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post

UND is going to be bitter if USD doesn't go to the BSC and Montana and Montana State go to the WAC.
      Who cares?
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Well thats the risk they take. I don''t feel any discomfort.

Comment

http://www.nbcmontana.com/sports/25587669/detail.html

Comment

Great start for the Jacks lead 10-2

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              All I can say is have fun traveling (busing) to Oregon, Washington, Western Montana for womens soccer, softball, baseball, and all the other non-profit, small budget sports.

Say hypothetically that Montana and Montana State leave. SUU joins with USD and UND

The conference would be like this for football
              Eastern Washington, Weber State, Northern Arizona, Sacramento State, Portland State, Northern Colorado and Idaho State, Southern UTah, UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, USD, and UND

Say they play 8 conference games, you can assume that it would probably be broke into divisions. So UNC, USD, UND, SUU, Weber State, and Northern Arizona. Eastern Wash, Sac. State, Portland State, Idaho State, UC-Davis, and Cal-Poly

So say its. UND, @UNC, SUU, @Weber State, Northern Arizona, @ Eastern Washing, UC-Davis and @ Cal-Poly. Then the next year you'd go to Fargo, SUU, Northern Arizona, and then say Portland State. That is still a tough travel schedule.

Have fun with that schedule, and that is for football. Your closest away game will be Greely and that is 10-12 hours on a bus plus a time zone change.

I'm not saying it can't be done....

If anything is wrong with my analyzing just say so, I'm kinda doing it off the top of my head. Could see N. Arizona and Idaho State being switched around.
              SO................

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                SO................
                haha
                ok.... I was kinda getting at the point that you explain what is wrong....

Comment

ORU isn't going to the Southland. The Southland in years past told ORU that they had no interest because they are a private faith based school while the rest of the Southland is public.
                  But, through time and conditions, thinking of conferences change. The Big Sky would not allow affiliate members, but they added Cal Poly and Davis as football only members.

Yes, these examples, are different conferences, but Northwestern is a private school, in a conference will 10 other and soon to be 11 other public schools. Vanderbilt, is the only private school in the SEC.

The Southland will soon be losing two schools. Do they stay at 10 schools or try to go back to 12 schools? ORU would fit in regionally with the Southland.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
                    But, through time and conditions, thinking of conferences change. The Big Sky would not allow affiliate members, but they added Cal Poly and Davis as football only members.

Yes, these examples, are different conferences, but Northwestern is a private school, in a conference will 10 other and soon to be 11 other public schools. Vanderbilt, is the only private school in the SEC.

The Southland will soon be losing two schools. Do they stay at 10 schools or try to go back to 12 schools? ORU would fit in regionally with the Southland.
                    UALR and UTPA are better fits and are looking for new homes. They both are better profile fits plus both fit the footprint better than ORU. The reality is that the Southland, IF they replace the two TX schools will likely look for at least one FB school.

I'm not sure why so many are pushing ORU into the Southland. ORU's ultimate goal is to get into a high mid-major conference. How does leaving the Summit for the Southland move them forward on accomplishing that objective? In BB the Southland would be a step down. Plus the Southland would want a commitment from ORU which would hinder them moving up if the opportunity arose.

You and a number of UND and USD posters (hoping for Summit failure) seem to want to push ORU into the Southland based on one internet blog and a few ORU fans wondering if they need to panic and move south. For crying out loud, the Summit is losing two schools they wanted to lose (SUU, Cent) and one who never began play (USD). Can we stop writing the obituary for the Summit?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      UALR and UTPA are better fits and are looking for new homes. They both are better profile fits plus both fit the footprint better than ORU. The reality is that the Southland, IF they replace the two TX schools will likely look for at least one FB school.

I'm not sure why so many are pushing ORU into the Southland. ORU's ultimate goal is to get into a high mid-major conference. How does leaving the Summit for the Southland move them forward on accomplishing that objective? In BB the Southland would be a step down. Plus the Southland would want a commitment from ORU which would hinder them moving up if the opportunity arose.

You and a number of UND and USD posters (hoping for Summit failure) seem to want to push ORU into the Southland based on one internet blog and a few ORU fans wondering if they need to panic and move south. For crying out loud, the Summit is losing two schools they wanted to lose (SUU, Cent) and one who never began play (USD). Can we stop writing the obituary for the Summit?
                      The Summit needs to be proactive right now. Staying pat would be the worst thing to do. ORU fits into the Southland, georgraphically and having the Tulsa market would be better than having where ever the hell UTPA is.

ORU, baseball is a big sport for them and the SL is losing baseball members. ORU must also look at travel costs. Yes, the trips to Utah are done. But instead of going to the upper Midwest, they can go to Texas, La, and Ark. That has to be appealing.

UALR is a lock for Soutland membership, when they get kicked out of the Sun Belt-which could be going to football schools only, like CUSA did a few years ago.

But you said the Southland wants to add a football team, but both UALR & UTPA do not have football. They would be down to 8 football and 10 hoops, so there isn't a rush to expand. But I'm sure they would like to add UALR.

Comment

The Summit needs to be proactive right now. Staying pat would be the worst thing to do.
                        I am in agreement with this. I sincerely hope the powers that be are trying to figure out how to replace some of these schools with other schools. And I'm not saying just take anybody either. Be proactive Summit League.

Comment

The Summit needs to be proactive right now. Staying pat would be the worst thing to do. ORU fits into the Southland, georgraphically and having the Tulsa market would be better than having where ever the hell UTPA is.

ORU, baseball is a big sport for them and the SL is losing baseball members. ORU must also look at travel costs. Yes, the trips to Utah are done. But instead of going to the upper Midwest, they can go to Texas, La, and Ark. That has to be appealing.

UALR is a lock for Soutland membership, when they get kicked out of the Sun Belt-which could be going to football schools only, like CUSA did a few years ago.

But you said the Southland wants to add a football team, but both UALR & UTPA do not have football. They would be down to 8 football and 10 hoops, so there isn't a rush to expand. But I'm sure they would like to add UALR.
                          Where is UTPA? Edinburg, TX near South Padre within driving distance of the Gulf which is where the majority of Southland schools reside. It has over 15,000 undergrad students and is part of the UT system. It fits the profile and is academically far superior to ORU. I just don't see the Southland going further north then UCA and you have to think they would prefer to replace the loss of two TX schools with at least one TX school. UTPA is a decent size state school which fits the conference profile.

As for the Summit, I would hope Douple and the Presidents are planning on being proactive. I do think Douple was blindsided by the Big Sky and the likely defection of USD. My hope is that he had more in mind for the future besides just adding USD and UND.

Comment

I'm sure they do, generally when you are in that position you have to look 2-3 steps ahead sometimes.

I think it is very interesting to see what the Summit does, also will UND try to get into the Summit for baseball? I don't believe the Big Sky offers it. I'm not to worried about ORU leaving for the Southland. However anything is possible. I am still an advocate for Denver, however they have problems and are quite possibly going to go to a different conference. University of Arkansas Little Rock is interesting. And I am sure many other Universities and Colleges as well are on the list. I think what UND, USD and SUU did is understandable. I don't think the dakotas were in a great spot to pressure the MVC football conference from expanding and I think overall it will work out good for both schools.

Comment

USD has scheduled a press conference for noon tomorrow (Thursday) and I believe we can assume that it will be to announce they are accepting the Big Sky invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                USD has scheduled a press conference for noon tomorrow (Thursday) and I believe we can assume that it will be to announce they are accepting the Big Sky invitation.
                                Who knows. Some Sioux fans are stating they just listened to their AD on a coaches show and he didn't sound all that confident about USD and the Big Sky. I didn't hear it myself so take it for what its worth.
                                Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Working...
                                X