Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND cancels Summit Site visit...

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    How about in our own backyard: It wasn't that long ago when the now-defunct Huron College were known as the "Scalpers". I think they dropped that name in the early 80s or maybe the real late 70s.
    Sioux Falls College, a.k.a. University, changed from the Braves around that same time.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

How about in our own backyard: It wasn't that long ago when the now-defunct Huron College were known as the "Scalpers". I think they dropped that name in the early 80s or maybe the real late 70s.
      Wasnt Huron College "The Tribe"?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Wasnt Huron College "The Tribe"?
        Nope Scalpers.

Comment

I’ve just finished reading the articles in the Fargo and Grand Forks papers along with the threads on the subject on SiouxSports and Bisonville, the UND and NDSU fan message boards.

Not much of a story outside North Dakota but inside ND, it appears it’s a hot story. The ND legislature has three bills pending which address UND shedding the Sioux nickname/logo. There’s a serious state constitutional question (the universities in ND are under the control of the State Board of Higher Education – so, can the legislature pass a law requiring UND to retain the Sioux nickname when the SboHE has already made a deal with the NCAA?). And, of course, the story generates some interest because there’s a debate about who’s not being truthful: the Summit-League Commissioner, Tom Douple (I've met Tom and I like him), or UND administrators (the Pres. and the AD).

How did the story about events 18-24 months ago get in the news today? Some speculate a legislator talked to the press, informing the press that UND’s administrators asked Douple to enter the fray a couple years ago with his comment that the Summit League would not invite UND to join the Summit until UND resolved the nickname issue (one way or the other – it had to be worked out with the NCAA, tribes, etc.).

I don’t know a lot about UND. Pre-Nickname-fight, if I had to list what I know or think about UND I’d list two things: 1) good school academically, possibly a notch above SDSU, NDSU and USD; and 2) good hockey school – but I don’t care about a sport that can end in a tie (seems un-American). Post-nickname fight, my impression of UND has been damaged.

The school needs to put the nickname problem in the past. With today’s news, UND looks like a drunk stumbling down the sidewalk. The drunk had been sober recently but the legislature just bought him a new bottle and encouraged him to drink it down. I’m a bystander nearby, a little fascinated with what may be an awful scene unfolding in front of me.

Hockey is King at UND PERIOD, they only cared about FB, BB etc.. as long as they beat NDSU other than that most of their alum couldn't tell you who they play or name anyone on their teams except the Hockey team. That is driving this entire agenda and its very pathetic, not sure if any on here have seen this or care about it but ill post it anyways.

www.suhaki.com

Its really sad, the guys responsible for it were quoted as saying they basically really don't know anything about UND FB or BB
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

While not as bad as the Scalpers, Dickinson State was known as the Savages. I think they changed their name in the 60's or 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Nope Scalpers.
              im pretty sure they were the Tribe in the 70's and 80's for sure

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                Hockey is King at UND PERIOD, they only cared about FB, BB etc.. as long as they beat NDSU other than that most of their alum couldn't tell you who they play or name anyone on their teams except the Hockey team. That is driving this entire agenda and its very pathetic, not sure if any on here have seen this or care about it but ill post it anyways.

www.suhaki.com

Its really sad, the guys responsible for it were quoted as saying they basically really don't know anything about UND FB or BB

I personally knew about Suhaki months before it ever became public. A person involved in it I am really good friends with. He doesn't have anything to do with UND hockey or the two gentlemen that came up with the idea. He just does some work for them with the Suhaki apparel they sell.

That website/idea was not made to renew the Sioux nickname. It was to poke fun at the situation. You're wrong if that's what you think. Do the people doing this probably want to keep the Sioux nickname? I bet they do, but the website wasn't made for that reason. Those two gentlemen could spend their money doing something else to help keep the Sioux name and they probably are. If you want to know anything more about it you can PM me.

Also, I should add that I personally don't even like hockey and don't really care about UND. I think what they're doing is embarrassing but more power to them. Just wanted to point out something considering I know someone involved and have heard everything about it for months.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I personally knew about Suhaki months before it ever became public. A person involved in it I am really good friends with. He doesn't have anything to do with UND hockey or the two gentlemen that came up with the idea. He just does some work for them with the Suhaki apparel they sell.

That website/idea was not made to renew the Sioux nickname. It was to poke fun at the situation. You're wrong if that's what you think. Do the people doing this probably want to keep the Sioux nickname? I bet they do, but the website wasn't made for that reason. Those two gentlemen could spend their money doing something else to help keep the Sioux name and they probably are. If you want to know anything more about it you can PM me.

Also, I should add that I personally don't even like hockey and don't really care about UND. I think what they're doing is embarrassing but more power to them. Just wanted to point out something considering I know someone involved and have heard everything about it for months.
                  well there are different opinions ideas on this, 2 of the people involved in this have said otherwise. i agree it probably has no effect on the outcome but from what i have seen/heard a couple in this campaign are pushing for this to become a reality. Will it happen ....NO but its the fact they put NCAA vs Suhaki on the top of the site and sell the gear and have a NHL player promoting it that proves their agenda. if you could go back and read the GF Herald/Fargo Forum article on it you would understand.

Main point i'm getting at is its just plain getting old hearing about it
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    im pretty sure they were the Tribe in the 70's and 80's for sure
                    You might be right, I could not find anything on a google and I was not around SD in the 1970's and 1980's. Somewhere along the line they became the Screaming Eagles.

Comment

Nope Scalpers.
                      My guess about the name change from the Scalpers occurring in the late 70s or early 80s may be wrong. Huron College had been called the Scalpers and then became the Tribe and then the Eagles or Screaming Eagles but I'm not sure when the changes occurred. I decided to do a Google search and was reminded this progression of names was discussed on the message board in 2006 HERE.

Here's another link referring to the Huron College Scalpers -- its the SD Hall of Fame story about Huron's Bill Tredway: LINK

Comment

Holy crap...that almost seems unbelievable.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                          well there are different opinions ideas on this, 2 of the people involved in this have said otherwise. i agree it probably has no effect on the outcome but from what i have seen/heard a couple in this campaign are pushing for this to become a reality. Will it happen ....NO but its the fact they put NCAA vs Suhaki on the top of the site and sell the gear and have a NHL player promoting it that proves their agenda. if you could go back and read the GF Herald/Fargo Forum article on it you would understand.

Main point i'm getting at is its just plain getting old hearing about it
                          Agreed and I hope I didn't come off harsh with the comment. It wasn't my intent. I appreciate having tjbison around.

Anyways, I said above that they probably do want to keep the nickname; however, that wasn't their original intent. If they're saying that they want to change the new name to 'Suhaki', it's a drastic change from what it started as. I'm more familiar with the background information and haven't been following it unless my buddy sends me emails. In fact, yesterday I received one that they're giving away $300 for the best Suhaki video. Interested?
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

You might be right, I could not find anything on a google and I was not around SD in the 1970's and 1980's. Somewhere along the line they became the Screaming Eagles.
                            i tried to find something online too but couldnt. i honestly remember the scalpers, so that much have been pre 1980 before i moved to mitchell.

Comment

Here's a link to a little history on the town of Tolstoy -- Tolstoy's teams were the Scalpers, named after the Huron College teams according to this writing.

Comment

A long time ago, Pac 10 Stanford went from Stanford Indians to Stanford Cardinals. They did it on their own. It is interesting how this story still has life.

It's Stanford Cardinal. No plural, as in the color, not the bird. ... Alumnus here!

Comment

Working...
                                X