Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

How bad must it be in Macomb if you are willing to move to Vermillion!

Comment

From what Craig Mattick posted on Twitter, WIU is having some serious financial difficulties and the school is going to be laying off 50 employees. With that kind of situation, you have to wonder what kind of financial support the athletics department will get.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        From what Craig Mattick posted on Twitter, WIU is having some serious financial difficulties and the school is going to be laying off 50 employees. With that kind of situation, you have to wonder what kind of financial support the athletics department will get.
        wasnt there talk of dropping down to D-2 at one point or cutting some sports?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Beer talk. All sports would have to take drop.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            wasnt there talk of dropping down to D-2 at one point or cutting some sports?
            WIU is the only Summit League school that sponsors all Summit League sports. They are not good in any of them judging by last year's commisioner's cup.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              The state of Illinois has a huge budget issue that could affect not only jobs but maybe pensions too. There's no question it will reach the Universities in some way. I read that the state is on track for about a $9 billion backlog on bills by the end of the year. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                How bad must it be in Macomb if you are willing to move to Vermillion!
                Someone that wants to live in what has been voted the #1 community in South Dakota. 😄

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Someone that wants to live in what has been voted the #1 community in South Dakota. ��
                  ***Survey was based on small Midwestern towns with less than 11,000 people with a regional university located in South Dakota counties Yankton, Bonne Home, Union, Clay, Turner, and Hutchison.***

Come on Yote! You gotta read the fine print on that sorta stuff!

Comment

I think this is a good hire for USD and a good move for Coach Nielsen.

i have been among the biggest critics of Vermillion over the years. Funny how your perspective can change when your livelihood requires trying to get into the inner workings of a community. Granted I'm only a few visits into my journey, but Vermillion has pleasantly surprised me. I've tried to remain objective and put my old perceptions aside.

i lived in Brookings from 1991 until 2010 and I feel like VM is on the verge of "growing up". It's 15-20 years behind Brookings but IMHO, SDSU has been blessed with better leadership. VM is still a small town, but that's part of the charm. It will never become Sioux Falls or Fargo, but neither will Brookings - and thank goodness for that. (For the most part)

There are hard working, passionate people in both Brookings and VM - I think USD gets a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                      I think this is a good hire for USD and a good move for Coach Nielsen.

i have been among the biggest critics of Vermillion over the years. Funny how your perspective can change when your livelihood requires trying to get into the inner workings of a community. Granted I'm only a few visits into my journey, but Vermillion has pleasantly surprised me. I've tried to remain objective and put my old perceptions aside.

i lived in Brookings from 1991 until 2010 and I feel like VM is on the verge of "growing up". It's 15-20 years behind Brookings but IMHO, SDSU has been blessed with better leadership. VM is still a small town, but that's part of the charm. It will never become Sioux Falls or Fargo, but neither will Brookings - and thank goodness for that. (For the most part)

There are hard working, passionate people in both Brookings and VM - I think USD gets a good guy.
                      I don't know Bob Nielsen personally, but from his record, you sense a very successful coach who plays by the rules. Its like they hired another Dave Tripplett or a Joe Salem.

I would not argue with your comments about Vermillion. I had an older brother attend USD in 1951-52 and he often complained about how limited the town and community was way back then. I been told that there is the academic community and the business community and neither of the two worked together on anything. Perhaps these barriers are starting to break down.

I might add that my SD life has been entirely in Brookings and Kingsbury counties. Going to Brookings from the farm to shop was a very big deal growing up. Seems like the population was barely 6000, back then and now it is 22,000 and change. So its grown and adding 3M was a major change.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        Someone that wants to live in what has been voted the #1 community in South Dakota. 😄
                        I was born in Vermillion, so I can say this: Hahahahahahahahaha.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think this was a good hire too. Be interesting to see how this affects recruiting.

I know many here, like to dump on the Dome...but I got to think that a HS recruit can't help but be impressed when they see it.

That's the main thing about college coaching... yes, you have to be a good coach, and hire good assistants, but you have to have good players. Nothing tops that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            I don't know Bob Nielsen personally, but from his record, you sense a very successful coach who plays by the rules. Its like they hired another Dave Tripplett or a Joe Salem.

I would not argue with your comments about Vermillion. I had an older brother attend USD in 1951-52 and he often complained about how limited the town and community was way back then. I been told that there is the academic community and the business community and neither of the two worked together on anything. Perhaps these barriers are starting to break down.

I might add that my SD life has been entirely in Brookings and Kingsbury counties. Going to Brookings from the farm to shop was a very big deal going up. Seems like the population was barely 6000, back then and now it is 22,000 and change. So its grown and adding 3M was a major change.
                            I seem to remember you saying that initially you wanted to go to USD for a specific major, but your dad wanted you closer to home? But your OLDER brother got to go there? What the heck? There has to be a story here?
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Reports are saying Nielsen salary is $255,000.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                I seem to remember you saying that initially you wanted to go to USD for a specific major, but your dad wanted you closer to home? But your OLDER brother got to go there? What the heck? There has to be a story here?
                                My brother was a more serious student than yours truly. My brother started out in pre-law, but end in being a Econ major at SDSU and a career at the SD Dept. of Labor. Not much of a story, but coming out of high school I did not have much going for myself academically, I got A's in bookkeeping and C and D in everything else. That's about all there is to the story. Apologize for the drift.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 12-16-2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X