Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
    They are referring to former BOR Policy 5:15 on funding for athletics. When SDSU went D1 it was put in place so that the move had to be funded completely by donor dollars. When USD went D1 it was repealed. It was a bad policy and needed to be repealed but it opened the door for USD to fund their athletic program mostly from students.

Here is a link to when the BOR Policy 5:15 was amended back in the spring of 2010. If you look at the scratched out paragraphs on page 2 you can see what the policy used to say when SDSU went D1. The old point “2.” covers that General Activity Fee (GAF) may increase only by inflation or increase in enrollment credit hours. https://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/items...LBOR0310L4.pdf

Now, USD has increased their GAF by $13.50 a credit hour in three steps. The first step of $4.50 was this year and there will be equal steps the next two years generating $1.5 million. This comes from the $500,000 this year mentioned in this USD Volante article where they hired 5 new staff members with the money this year. http://volanteonline.com/2015/09/ath...-gaf-increase/

Finally, go to the USA Today annual publication on subsidies for athletic departments: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
    You will find that USD had revenues of $14,879,307 and a subsidy of $10,697,633 for a subsidy percent of 71.9% compared to SDSU with $15,617,366 of revenue but only $8,506,913 of subsidy for a percent of 54.47%.

Now, that is before the new USD fee which will add $1.5 million of subsidy to USD’s budget over the next three years. Their revenues will be around 16.4 million with a subsidy of $12.2 million. This would make their budget larger than SDSU’s depending on our revenue growth which for us would be 100% from donors, ticket sales, advertising, etc.

So they could have a larger budget with fewer sports but 75% of it from students versus 55% at SDSU. USD says the $741,600 they need for full cost of attendance is coming all from donors and “Donors and corporate sponsors are not willing to fund that which they perceive as base operating responsibilities of the university.”
    (Page 4 https://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/20..._W_BOR1215.pdf)

According to the previously cited USA Today study USD received a $1,467,844 in contributions last year. Will that grow to $2.1 million to cover the Full Cost of Attendance at USD over the next three years?

The answer remains to be seen but what I do know is the numbers are all public and we can all be watching.
    Thanks for laying the facts. I had a feeling something like this had transpired. Seems like Jewett was a big pusher of this bad policy,.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Colleges are for learning and education *wink* Athletes are getting paid by their free education *wink*
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Kind of amazing to me that students would voluntarily vote to increase their fees by another $13.50 per credit hour. Figure someone taking 15 credits a semester, that adds an additional $405 a year to a student's expenses.

Not chump change by any means.

Comment

what is SDSU current GAF and USD is going to be what? I tried finding SDSUs on line but couldnt really find it from the short time i searched. USD says on there website for general activity fee is 43.40. So whats really the difference between SDSU and USDs fee?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

el_presidente may want to help clarify this, but I believe the NCAA does not allow its member institutions to have student majority committees which have the final say on athletic fees. The reason being that athletic programs, on a whim, could be eviscerated by student leaders who have a dislike of athletics, thus making unstable programs. Those student activity fee committees (setting athletic fees) simply make recommendations to the president. It's usually a forgone conclusion by the time it hits the president's desk.

As for the enormous hike at USD, you have to wonder whether the average student is even paying attention. For many, they don't really care as someone else is paying the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              what is SDSU current GAF and USD is going to be what? I tried finding SDSUs on line but couldnt really find it from the short time i searched. USD says on there website for general activity fee is 43.40. So whats really the difference between SDSU and USDs fee?
              https://www.sdstate.edu/cashiers/undergrad/fees.cfm

The General Activity Fee or (GAF) - charged to support student health, wellness center, student union, and student activity programs such as admission to plays, athletic events, athletic facilities, and partially funded judging, music, and forensic programs.

USD Fees including GAF
              http://www.usd.edu/financial-affairs.../undergraduate

If I read the Volante article correctly their GAF will be in excess of $53 after the final year of the increase

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post

The General Activity Fee or (GAF) - charged to support student health, wellness center, student union, and student activity programs such as admission to plays, athletic events, athletic facilities, and partially funded judging, music, and forensic programs.

USD Fees including GAF

If I read the Volante article correctly their GAF will be in excess of $53 after the final year of the increase
                Thanks. So basically they are aleady about 10 bucks more per credit and will be adding over the 13 dollars to the current amount.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post

USD Fees including GAF

Ouch! Over 4 1/2 years with 15 credit hours per year that's $7k!

Comment

They must have voted on this during Dakota Days.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Ouch! Over 4 1/2 years with 15 credit hours per year that's $7k!
                      Right!, but when I get on my not charging the students to fund other students education I get lambasted. someone has to look out for the students because inherently with the 4ish years of turnover there is little to no knowledge of how much things have changed in a period more then about 5 years.

Someone should do the math on the actual individual cost based on average interest rates and time to repay.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Right!, but when I get on my not charging the students to fund other students education I get lambasted. someone has to look out for the students because inherently with the 4ish years of turnover there is little to no knowledge of how much things have changed in a period more then about 5 years.
                        I wonder what an average activity fee at a P5 conference school is......?

Comment

I think that is a good, and Very relevant question.

Comment

P5 schools enjoy the advantage of higher attendance and big TV money.http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Comment

When I was at Black Hills State (during their D-II transition), I was on the committee involving these fees.

Here is how it was explained to me. These fees go to as previously stated the staff at the Student Union, the Wellness Center, Rec Sports, The School Nurse, etc. Essentially any club can make a request for the money. What happened to us and I'm guessing the same thing is going on at USD (and SDSU), was that we got a memo from the higher ups that X amount was going to go to the Athletic Department, and it wasn't really anything that we could debate, or argue.

It seems as if Abbott is going all in with the Athletic Program, hiring 2 fairly expensive coaches, going to COA for all sports, a new arena, some minor renovations to the DakotaDome.

Comment

I haven't found the information yet, but apparently they don't pay near as much. According to a Chicago Tribune story from 2014, the University of Illinois was one of only two BIG schools to charge a student fee. They did it to pay off some debt for sports stadium renovations.

"Still, Illinois is one of just two members of the Big Ten that charge athletic fees. In 2013, the school reported fee revenue of $3 million. It is used to pay off debt service for sports stadium renovations, Brown said."

With 32,281 students in Champaign, that works out to about $93/student annually.

Of the MVFC schools, student fees as a percentage of total revenue, here is the break down.

Illinois State 49%
                                Southern Illinois 43%
                                Western Illinois 31%
                                University of Illinois 4%

Comment

Working...
                                X