Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

$7K at 4.29% for a 15yr term is 9,504 and for giggles say it take you as long as a mortgage 30yrs it would be $12,456 so if we consider the 7K figure for 4 yrs of school and the interest over a 15 year period and
    we're talking about $38,016. <-- that's more than my salary the first year out of school in 2006.

That's not chump change just so that others can be afforded their opportunities. I suggest we talk with our state representatives to figure this out, as it's absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      $7K at 4.29% for a 15yr term is 9,504 and for giggles say it take you as long as a mortgage 30yrs it would be $12,456 so if we consider the 7K figure for 4 yrs of school and the interest over a 15 year period and
      we're talking about $38,016. <-- that's more than my salary the first year out of school in 2006.

That's not chump change just so that others can be afforded their opportunities. I suggest we talk with our state representatives to figure this out, as it's absurd.
      Higher education will eventually kill itself.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Ouch! Over 4 1/2 years with 15 credit hours per year that's $7k!
        So that is for the full general activity fee, so I figure the new Athletics support portion will be more than $2000. I am not sure as a student I would want to pay an extra $2K over my college years so that athletes already on scholarship can receive cost of education money in addition.

However if today's students are anywhere near as uninformed about what they are actually paying for when they attend college as I was, most won't even notice.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          However if today's students are anywhere near as uninformed about what they are actually paying for when they attend college as I was, most won't even notice.
          This is part of the issue. You're really pulling the wool over their eyes. It really starts to make sense when you're still paying for student loans 10+ years after you left Brookings.

Comment

Its not that simple though, when you pay for credits, its per credit hour, and the fee is factored in. Very few who aren't associated with student government really understand the activity fee part of it. I remember asking and they said its for the tickets for the game and your access to the student nurse, and a little bit for the activities the clubs put on.

Comment

This full general activity fee, would that include admission to events or is that separate? If I remember correctly from my day, you could purchase different levels of activity fees if you didn't want it or could not afford it (such as myself). But then, a guy could get by for 1500 a year if you tried, easily.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                This full general activity fee, would that include admission to events or is that separate? If I remember correctly from my day, you could purchase different levels of activity fees if you didn't want it or could not afford it (such as myself). But then, a guy could get by for 1500 a year if you tried, easily.
                Admission to all athletic events excluding postseason games was included in my "tuition". That was in the early 2000's. Postseason games were a small fee like $5 or $10.

Comment

There are a couple of recent former Students' Association presidents who post on this site and I hope they bring clarity to the student fee issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
                    There are a couple of recent former Students' Association presidents who post on this site and I hope they bring clarity to the student fee issue.
                    What additional questions do you have? I'll do my best to answer them.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The fees cover different things at different campuses. For instance we (the SDSU SA) RAISED our own fees to cover the cost of building the wellness center. It took a large effort by elpresidente and others to make that a reality. The fact that we pettioned, and voted to raise our own GAF to build that building was unpressidented and ruffeled the feathers of at least one former BOR member. They way it was conducted left them no choice but to approve it. SA controls the money that athletics does not receive, unless there has been a change. And even they present their budget to the SA.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

slosho touched on it but I would like to know the process for raising athletic fees at SDSU. Do they still have an Athletic, Intramural and Recreation Committee, with a majority of members being faculty and staff? And, do they review the budget proposed by the Athletic Department for approval by the SDSU President?

Comment

Working...
                        X