Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by goon View Post
    yep, but he will grow up in a culture of SDSU everything. academics and athletics. If he goes elsewhere that is fine, but I dont think many familes and communities push the pro SDSU and south dakota idea. How ever my parents did it to me it worked. I had other options but realized SDSU was where my heart lied. Nothing else would have felt right. Look at Montana schools. Not a huge supply of montana high schoolers to pick from but they grow up thinking that they want to play at montana or montana state. Even with other good options, they grow up wanting to be there. South dakota kids grow up with the mindset to leave. thats the difference to me.
    Reps. Complete immersion into a Jackrabbit culture in my household as well.

Any time my 3.5 year old daughter sees anything blue and yellow together, be it crayons, cars, play-doh, cloth's on a character in her favorite cartoons, hats, whatever, let alone the actual Jackrabbit logos, or Jack himself, it's "Daddy...Jackrabbits!".

Love it!
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      Would you let your kid wear a Coyote outfit if I gave you one?
      Well my wife is a USD grad(we dated in high school so dont worry that I tricked her or something). so he does have some USD stuff. Just 10 times more SDSU since we have season tickets to SDSU. I would be more upset if he would want to go out of state then to USD. I think in state schools offer just as much and in many cases better opertunities then going out of state. Unless he gets full ride scholarships or choses other things I wouldnt care as much but would still rather him see how good it can be staying in his home state.

from my quick count of local states, USD has 16 SD kids on the roster. UND has 17 North dakota kids, NDSU has 19 from ND and SDSU has 20. Then we get to montana and they have 38 and montana state has over 40 kids from montana that stay home. Yet they consistantly build great programs with local kids and a small population base. NDSU does great getting out of state top players but here in SD we lose I think to many to schools outside the state because they think they are better off else where.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Would you let your kid wear a Coyote outfit if I gave you one?
        Sure....great Halloween costume.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Sure....great Halloween costume.
          LOL.....That's a good one. But in all reality, it would scare most Jackrabbit fans.

Comment

LOL.....That's a good one. But in all reality, it would scare most Jackrabbit fans.
            About as scary as those five-year olds wearing those Transformer costumes that are nothing more than plastic bags with the character printed on them.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

yep, but he will grow up in a culture of SDSU everything. academics and athletics. If he goes elsewhere that is fine, but I dont think many familes and communities push the pro SDSU and south dakota idea. How ever my parents did it to me it worked. I had other options but realized SDSU was where my heart lied. Nothing else would have felt right. Look at Montana schools. Not a huge supply of montana high schoolers to pick from but they grow up thinking that they want to play at montana or montana state. Even with other good options, they grow up wanting to be there. South dakota kids grow up with the mindset to leave. thats the difference to me.
              I disagree with your assertion that SD kids grow up with the mindset to leave. I happen to think kids with a high degree of talent (whether in football or math), tend to want to take their talents to the highest level. That's not a South Dakota thing, that's a people thing.

You can tip the scales a little by immersing kids in culture. But at the end of the day, if a kid wants to play on the biggest stage or work on a particle collider, the shortest path to that goal is often through another university.

SDSU (and now USD) took a big step in making that choice more difficult on the athletics side when they went DI, just so happens NDSU went DI at the same time and offers a brighter stage for football. Even then, SDSU gets the lion's share of SD kids.

One thing worth noting, is that although NDSU poaches "a lot" of South Dakota kids for football, they don't land many SD high school basketball recruits. At least 2 from this year's senior class chose SDSU over NDSU. That spotlight happens to shine brighter at SDSU.

Just curious, you had other options. Did any of those options include a full scholarship with a shortened career path?
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Well my wife is a USD grad(we dated in high school so dont worry that I tricked her or something). so he does have some USD stuff. Just 10 times more SDSU since we have season tickets to SDSU. I would be more upset if he would want to go out of state then to USD. I think in state schools offer just as much and in many cases better opertunities then going out of state. Unless he gets full ride scholarships or choses other things I wouldnt care as much but would still rather him see how good it can be staying in his home state.

from my quick count of local states, USD has 16 SD kids on the roster. UND has 17 North dakota kids, NDSU has 19 from ND and SDSU has 20. Then we get to montana and they have 38 and montana state has over 40 kids from montana that stay home. Yet they consistantly build great programs with local kids and a small population base. NDSU does great getting out of state top players but here in SD we lose I think to many to schools outside the state because they think they are better off else where.
                It is a bit of a stretch to say that Montana State has consistently built great programs.

Their previous two coaching staffs from 92-06 went 81-90 (the coach before that went 15-40).

Otherwise, I agree with what you wrote.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  It is a bit of a stretch to say that Montana State has consistently built great programs.

Their previous two coaching staffs from 92-06 went 81-90 (the coach before that went 15-40).

Otherwise, I agree with what you wrote.
                  Fair enough. They seem to be doing pretty well this season.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

IDK, I think quite a few people go to SDSU and USD, I think they have a good understanding growing up. Everyone knew SDSU's men made the tournament last year. I remember at BHSU watching the SDSU women in the national tournament in the dorms with a lobby full of people rooting for them. I think the big problem with having the atmosphere differences between NDSU and SDSU (USD as well) is this high school notion of South Dakota colleges. I saw it at BHSU, I know people at SDSU and USD and they say its pretty bad as well. Anyone with in a 150 mile radius goes home on the weekends. Now some of it is to help with the family farm, or stuff like that, but my sister came home damn near every weekend the 3 years she went to SDSU, many of those weekends she had absolutely no reason to come home, her main reason was all my friends were going home as well. I follow athletes of SDSU on twitter and they make similar statements about the amount of people who go home on the weekends. I guess if we could change it to where the families of these students were going to Brookings, tailgating and then going to the game the notion of going to the game would change a bunch in the minds of the average fans and then the trickle down effect on recruitment and all of that would begin to change for the better. Just kinda my view of the matter.

Comment

One thing worth noting, is that although NDSU poaches "a lot" of South Dakota kids for football, they don't land many SD high school basketball recruits. At least 2 from this year's senior class chose SDSU over NDSU. That spotlight happens to shine brighter at SDSU.
                      I seem to remember a kid from South Dakota that played at NDSU recently. As I recall, he enjoyed as much success on the Bison team as any SDSU baller in recent years, including a championship in the regular season and Summit tourney. He also never lost to a school from the state he grew up in, including 8-0 against that one team from Brookings.

Comment

I think I just read this thread on Gopherhole, the Minnesota fan message board. (They were talking about athletes like Nate Wolters)

Comment

HandoEX remind me, when was the last time a NDSU Men's team won a Summit League Tournament game?

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                            I seem to remember a kid from South Dakota that played at NDSU recently. As I recall, he enjoyed as much success on the Bison team as any SDSU baller in recent years, including a championship in the regular season and Summit tourney. He also never lost to a school from the state he grew up in, including 8-0 against that one team from Brookings.
                            Thanks for helping to make my point. If he would have stayed in sd many things could have and most likely would have been different. Finally we are getting most of the kids we want in state for basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              HandoEX remind me, when was the last time a NDSU Men's team won a Summit League Tournament game?
                              2009 the year they won it and gave Kansas a game 1st round

Comment

I disagree with your assertion that SD kids grow up with the mindset to leave. I happen to think kids with a high degree of talent (whether in football or math), tend to want to take their talents to the highest level. That's not a South Dakota thing, that's a people thing.

You can tip the scales a little by immersing kids in culture. But at the end of the day, if a kid wants to play on the biggest stage or work on a particle collider, the shortest path to that goal is often through another university.

SDSU (and now USD) took a big step in making that choice more difficult on the athletics side when they went DI, just so happens NDSU went DI at the same time and offers a brighter stage for football. Even then, SDSU gets the lion's share of SD kids.

Just curious, you had other options. Did any of those options include a full scholarship with a shortened career path?
                                Its that thinking you have that going out of state is some how magically better then staying in state. With the educational oppertunites in state frankly with sdsu usd and mines and dsu they are some of the best at what they do. I guess its up to the person to determine the highest level possible. There are many factors in it that need to be considered and just saying the highest level possible. Maybe I am reading into your post wrong but it seems your saying south dakota doesn't provide the highest level available for most students. Like kids who settle on sdsu weren't good enough for a higher level. I. Guess I don't think its a bad thing to try to show and sell our schools as something special and how going to sdsu and usd is not settling.

I guess what I should say is going to a higher div automatically better or is going to a school with higher enrollment mean its math department is the best. Highst level and picking the best fit and option I think are different things.

Comment

Working...
                                X