Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Its that thinking you have that going out of state is some how magically better then staying in state. With the educational oppertunites in state frankly with sdsu usd and mines and dsu they are some of the best at what they do. I guess its up to the person to determine the highest level possible. There are many factors in it that need to be considered and just saying the highest level possible. Maybe I am reading into your post wrong but it seems your saying south dakota doesn't provide the highest level available for most students. Like kids who settle on sdsu weren't good enough for a higher level. I. Guess I don't think its a bad thing to try to show and sell our schools as something special and how going to sdsu and usd is not settling.

I guess what I should say is going to a higher div automatically better or is going to a school with higher enrollment mean its math department is the best. Highst level and picking the best fit and option I think are different things.
    That is kind of what I am saying, although I wouldn't have described staying in state as settling.

Let's say you are a high school senior with a 4.0 and a 34 ACT who wants to work on Wall Street. Now, it is certainly possible to achieve that as a graduate of SDSU. It is much more likely that a person will achieve those things if they go to an Ivy League school. It just is.

Let's say you are a talented and smart graduate of SDSU who wants to become a federal district judge or lead the legal department of a large corporation. Those things are certainly possible as a USD law graduate, but much more likely by going to Yale or Harvard.

Or if a USD grad wants to become chief of surgery at a major metropolitan hospital. Its more likely if they attend somewhere other than USD for medical school. The UDS school of medicine dean went to Vanderbilt, Indiana, and Iowa.

Similarly, if your dream is such that playing in the NFL or NBA is a possibility, it is certainly possible to achieve those things as a graduate of SDSU, but it is much more likely competing in a major conference. It just is.

In-state schools do a lot of things well, and some better than anyone else. But to think they offer the best for everyone isn't factual.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Then there is the fact that some kids just want a change of scenery, an adventure outside of their comfort zone, or to get away from mom and dad for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
        I seem to remember a kid from South Dakota that played at NDSU recently. As I recall, he enjoyed as much success on the Bison team as any SDSU baller in recent years, including a championship in the regular season and Summit tourney. He also never lost to a school from the state he grew up in, including 8-0 against that one team from Brookings.
        Yep, how many SD recruits has NDSU landed since then? For every Michael Tveidt and Denver Ten Broek there are 10 that choose SDSU.

There are currently 6 South Dakota kids on SDSU's roster, next year there will be 7 (including one from Tveidt's hometown). Since 2009 SDSU has gone 60-36, including a 27 win season (NDSU's DI high was 26).

Tony Fiegen chose SDSU. If we can win 20 games this year, he will end his career with over 80 wins played in front of his friends and family. Tveidt won 67 games 6 hours from home.

The basketball spotlight shines brighter at SDSU for South Dakota kids, not really a debate.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          That is kind of what I am saying, although I wouldn't have described staying in state as settling.

Let's say you are a high school senior with a 4.0 and a 34 ACT who wants to work on Wall Street. Now, it is certainly possible to achieve that as a graduate of SDSU. It is much more likely that a person will achieve those things if they go to an Ivy League school. It just is.

Let's say you are a talented and smart graduate of SDSU who wants to become a federal district judge or lead the legal department of a large corporation. Those things are certainly possible as a USD law graduate, but much more likely by going to Yale or Harvard.

Or if a USD grad wants to become chief of surgery at a major metropolitan hospital. Its more likely if they attend somewhere other than USD for medical school. The UDS school of medicine dean went to Vanderbilt, Indiana, and Iowa.

Similarly, if your dream is such that playing in the NFL or NBA is a possibility, it is certainly possible to achieve those things as a graduate of SDSU, but it is much more likely competing in a major conference. It just is.

In-state schools do a lot of things well, and some better than anyone else. But to think they offer the best for everyone isn't factual.
          So your saying kids who want to get away and as far away as possible will do so either either way. I said most students not every. We get tons of great out of state students who see these school as the best option from close by states iowa and minn. Most students are scoring 34 act scores in state so your sample size is limited to a few students who will get ivy league offers. Most students be it ag or engineering or health care or teacher education or law etc will have some of the top programs around and are at what I feel is an extremely high level.

If our mens team for basketball has been so good why aren't guys tranfering to be at a higher level or bigger school confrence? Wolters to minn and dystakra to iowa white to neb? I think youe selling short what great opertunites sd has to offer.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            So your saying kids who want to get away and as far away as possible will do so either either way. I said most students not every. We get tons of great out of state students who see these school as the best option from close by states iowa and minn. Most students are scoring 34 act scores in state so your sample size is limited to a few students who will get ivy league offers. Most students be it ag or engineering or health care or teacher education or law etc will have some of the top programs around and are at what I feel is an extremely high level.

If our mens team for basketball has been so good why aren't guys tranfering to be at a higher level or bigger school confrence? Wolters to minn and dystakra to iowa white to neb? I think youe selling short what great opertunites sd has to offer.
            This started out as a discussion about keeping football players in state. Not most high school football players, the elite football players. I made the parallel that many elite students choose to study at out of state schools as well because the out of state school is just better at their particular topic of study. Not all, but some.

Most students don't have the ability or desire to get a doctorate in physics. But for the elite few who want to work on a particle collider, South Dakota schools don't have as much to offer as the California and east coast schools do.

Most students don't have the ability to play DI athletics. But if that is your dream, from a purely football standpoint, NDSU offers more. Don't see how you can fault a kid for pursuing their dream.

I agree that most students wouldn't go wrong at in state schools.

However, for DI football players, we aren't talking about most. You are talking about keeping a very talented and elite group of individuals bottled up at a school with less to offer than border states (from a purely football standpoint). The fact is, for the region we rank behind Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and NDSU when it comes to strictly football. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Comment

This started out as a discussion about keeping football players in state. Not most high school football players, the elite football players. I made the parallel that many elite students choose to study at out of state schools as well because the out of state school is just better at their particular topic of study. Not all, but some.

Most students don't have the ability or desire to get a doctorate in physics. But for the elite few who want to work on a particle collider, South Dakota schools don't have as much to offer as the California and east coast schools do.

Most students don't have the ability to play DI athletics. But if that is your dream, from a purely football standpoint, NDSU offers more. Don't see how you can fault a kid for pursuing their dream.

However, for DI football players, we aren't talking about most. You are talking about keeping a very talented and elite group of individuals bottled up at a school with less to offer than border states (from a purely football standpoint). The fact is, for the region we rank behind Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and NDSU when it comes to strictly football. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.
              I agree with what you've said,but what the heck has happened to the pride of representing your State,fighting for the people you grew up with,where's that feeling when you slip on a jersey that says "Bison"?To each his own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                I agree with what you've said,but what the heck has happened to the pride of representing your State,fighting for the people you grew up with,where's that feeling when you slip on a jersey that says "Bison"?To each his own I guess.
                I thought it was against state law for the Jacks to lose during Hobo Days. Doesn't your team get superman underoos or something for that game so they are undefeatable?

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                  I thought it was against state law for the Jacks to lose during Hobo Days. Doesn't your team get superman underoos or something for that game so they are undefeatable?
                  Good response.....LOL

You guys are just about like us,except where the wagon trail split, some went north ,some went south.

Comment

You mentioned math so I figured you were being all encompassing not just football. Its still that mind set that we have to accept NDSU UNI Minn as better then us and thats just the way its going to be. Frankly I think this school as something speical going for it where it should compete and beat those said schools. I understand not every game but I think we are a place where being ranked and chasing confrence and national titles should be the minimum standard. Just like how basketball ball its to the the dance every year. Otherwise I think we are selling the school and state short of we accept less than that is ok. I know that cant happen every year, and I dont think of it as a failure if that happens but I dont see why we shouldnt have pride that you can stay in state and accomplish big things. Just saying that if you go to NDSU Minn etc will be better then anything SDSU is I think sad and wrong, and not a big surpise when we dont keep a lot of the top talent in the state.

Maybe I have my sdsu and south dakota glasses tinted to much but I feel we have a place that can and should compete with any state and school program around form football and basketball to academics. Like what stig said when we played neb. the comment was something like you came out to play and Stig said yeah, thats what our plan was, we didnt just come to collect a check.

I would like to say this is some wicked thread drift on my part.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Then there is the fact that some kids just want a change of scenery, an adventure outside of their comfort zone, or to get away from mom and dad for a few years.
                      Some people on here will never understand this.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                        What is this Hobo Days that you speak of? Here at SDSU Hobo Week leads to Hobo Day the Biggest One Day Event in the Dakotas.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                          What is this Hobo Days that you speak of? Here at SDSU Hobo Week leads to Hobo Day the Biggest One Day Event in the Dakotas.

Go State!
                          Does Weary Will's dog have a name?
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post

Go State!
                            My sincerest apologies to the blue and yellow. Ok...maybe not that sincere! Ha! Who will bite? Who will it be?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              Excellent question, which dont have an answer. I suppose "spot" would work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                Weary Wil's dog is named Spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X