Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD - Joe Glenn

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I agree coaches need to make more, just think if its significantly more then a current coach in the state is making people will be upset.
    Because South Dakotans are terrified of everything.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I suspect he is the best on the market right now for USD, and have no clue on his salary, but with age being 62 years I think he reaches for the Aleve more often then most of us think. Just Saying, not that he could not have a winning program, I am saying if I were a Coyote Fan, I would not be expecting miracles.

Comment

Its a name usd fans can probably get excited about. Unless there was a guys who has a better resume who applied it was probably his for the taking. Since he is usd guy he might keep a lot of the staff.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Because South Dakotans are terrified of everything.
          I just laughed out loud at that one. Exactly true.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Good hire for two reasons. First, he is known and respected which should help bring fans into the dome. Second, (and I am speculating here) he is well experienced and should help to develop Beschorner to become the next head coach at USD.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Good hire for two reasons. First, he is known and respected which should help bring fans into the dome. Second, (and I am speculating here) he is well experienced and should help to develop Beschorner to become the next head coach at USD.
              Ding ding ding.......We have a winner

Comment

Nationwide search? Yeah, right. This hire was about as fast and as predictable as they come. I'm not saying it's a bad hire. It just isn't very creative or daring.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Not sure Bill Belichick could win at Wyoming.

I don't know what the salary will need to be, but it would be a shame if people freak out. We'll need to replace a coach or two someday, and USD could help us by conditioning people about what it costs to hire a good coach.
                  Dave Christensen has done pretty well at Wyoming. A bowl game in 2009 (first year) and an 8 win season this year should have them back in a bowl again in 2011. Glenn was a charachter at Wyoming but his schtick got old fast when he couldn't recruit or win. He had it all at Montana and at UNC he had the only "real" D2 program in the state and was able to pick up the scraps left by CSU and Wyoming. I think he's a good hire for USD but I have a feeling it is a transitional situation and I think PH is correct, pretty sure he will come in and work with Wes B who I believe will eventually take over the program. In my opinion, that would also be a good thing for USD.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    Dave Christensen has done pretty well at Wyoming. A bowl game in 2009 (first year) and an 8 win season this year should have them back in a bowl again in 2011. Glenn was a charachter at Wyoming but his schtick got old fast when he couldn't recruit or win. He had it all at Montana and at UNC he had the only "real" D2 program in the state and was able to pick up the scraps left by CSU and Wyoming. I think he's a good hire for USD but I have a feeling it is a transitional situation and I think PH is correct, pretty sure he will come in and work with Wes B who I believe will eventually take over the program. In my opinion, that would also be a good thing for USD.
                    Christensen is 18-19 in three years, Glenn was 30-41. Wyo is not exactly Boise State.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't know if I'm going to say a coach is a winner or a failure because of his life at Wyoming. He did struggle there though.

I personally look at it in two ways.

1. Positive, they got the big name, a guy who has won at all sorts of levels, coached a FBS school, is an alum and has ties to the school.

2. Negative, older coach in a rebuilding situation, has been out of the game for a few years, struggled in his last job, and is a character as well.

Now I like having a character as a coach, a guy who does things like flip off the opposing coach, makes funny quotes and all those things, however after having Ed as your coach I thought they might go to a coach that is a little more conservative in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        ...Now, I like having a character as a coach, a guy who does things like flip off the opposing coach,...
                        Just in case anyone does not know about the incident Joeboo is referring to, here's a summary: Glenn's Wyoming Cowboys were preparing for the 2007 trip to Salt Lake City to face Utah. On Monday of that week, Glenn was speaking at a student luncheon and he told the students that he "guaranteed" a Wyoming win on Saturday. Of course, word of the boast reached Ute Head Coach Kyle Whittingham. Utah was up 40-0 at the half that Saturday. In the third quarter, Utah couldn't punch in a touchdown so the Utes settled for a field goal, making the score 43-0. On the following kickoff, Utah attempted an on-side kick and in response, Glenn gave a middle-finger salute to his opponents on the other side of the field. It was caught on live TV.

I remember seeing the clips...thought it was pretty funny. Easy to find on the internet. Here's one site: http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/11/wyomings-glenn-flips-off-whittingham.html

Attempting an on-side kick when you're up 43-0...well, it seemed the Utes spent the halftime intermission mining on the shores of the Great Salt Lake a relatively short distance from campus...and they returned to rub a lot of salt in that 43-0 wound they'd inflicted on the Cowboys. If you watch the Whittingham interview, you can see and hear for yourself Whittingham thought it appropriate to hold Glenn was accountable for his words.

This Fall, Coughlin Alumni Stadium -- Stig: Holy nutmeg! Did he just flip me off?

Last edited by JackJD; 12-04-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Christensen is 18-19 in three years, Glenn was 30-41. Wyo is not exactly Boise State.
                          Nobody said they were Boise State. Of course UW is more then a glorified commuter school which is exactly what Boise is. Christensen is 8-4 this year with only one bad loss (Utah State) and they did beat Air Force. Last I checked that's a winning season and beating the Falcons is not an easy task no matter who you are. I believe your comment was that no one could win in Wyoming, Christensen has 2 winning seasons in his first 3 years. He is also a good guy who runs a clean program. People scoff at Wyoming but they do have a pretty solid past going back to their days in the WAC. The people in that very small state are very proud of their atletics and their University. Much like we are proud of SDSU.

By the way since I also keep hearing Coyote fans say that no one can win at Wyoming, can we then ask if he can win in Vermillion? I would take Laramie over Vermillion any day and I think most recruits would also.
                          Last edited by jacksfan29; 12-04-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

So the Bird Man of Wyoming will be counted on to bring discipline to the Yotes. Tee-hee.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                              Rep points. I think caution is appropriate however. The last "big name" they brought in (Gordy Shaw) didn't work out so well. Granted, he was an assistant and the details regarding his role and expectations are sketchy while Glenn will be the head coach and I assume calling all the shots. I have no idea who the other serious candidates were and can't really make a judgement about the quality of this hire without that knowledge.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                So the Bird Man of Wyoming will be counted on to bring discipline to the Yotes. Tee-hee.
                                That is what I was getting at, I have no problem hiring a coach like this, but you just fired a character and you bring in arguable a bigger character.

Comment

Working...
                                X