Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD - Joe Glenn

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    That would be fair. He's probably worth even more. No, it's not the amount that grinds my gears. It's the fact that reporters didn't push for that information. Normally, I stick to my research on my blog (http://fbihistorian.org). But here's a blog post I wrote this morning on the subject:

http://fbihistorian.org/post/1382527...ry-information
    Good points. Thanks for sharing your blogspot. With the fragile budgets at USD and SDSU both, I do not seem much movement towards multi year contracts. Glenn is doing this out of loyality and supplementing his retirement pay. We do need to know what Glenn is receiving though as it will no doubt impact future negiotations for our coaches as well. I would be interested to know what his settlement with Wyoming was in total dollars. Apparently its enought to live on. I heard stories in the Fargo area about Don Morton and his settlement after being released by Wisconsin. He got a pretty comfortable settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      ...others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know.
      I have to think we may never know this. Although we may be curious about it, we might not want to know. Revealing this information could damage those coaches relationships in the jobs they currently hold. Further, if a precedent is set where this information is revealed to the public, it may cause future applicants to think twice about applying for coaching jobs at our universities.

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
        I have to think we may never know this. Although we may be curious about it, we might not want to know. Revealing this information could damage those coaches relationships in the jobs they currently hold. Further, if a precedent is set where this information is revealed to the public, it may cause future applicants to think twice about applying for coaching jobs at our universities.
        This is a consideration whenever a position opens up. My own opinion, if your employed by someone who is going to prevent you from pursuing a positions you desire your in a bad position right now. You are right, I'm more curious than I am furious.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          I am pretty sure 99% of SDSU grads don't know our school song. I know i don't. I just clap with everyone else.
          You are correct, I don't know it either. I didn't mean it to be as critical as it came off, just one example of how the press conference was awkward.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Please refer to my previous posts regarding certain sportswriters in the Yankton area. Breaking a story (especially one this predictable) is not as important as reporting on the hard facts. Salary, benefits, others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know. Was there due process or was this an inside job? It's a state institution and these should be open to public review.
            Agreed. At least Jeremy mentioned salary as a key issue to be explored and even offered some contextual information (Meierkort's salary). We didn't get that from others.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
              This is why most major universities go through "head-hunter" search firms to find candidates. That way the school can deny contacting coaches to check on interest,and vice versa.

Comment

This is a consideration whenever a position opens up. My own opinion, if your employed by someone who is going to prevent you from pursuing a positions you desire your in a bad position right now. You are right, I'm more curious than I am furious.
                Very true and something for the younger people to keep in mind.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

intransigence.
                  I learned something today.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Do they have to file the contract somewhere? My guess is they would like this contract to be kept under raps until the state at least proposes a budget. I know its different but to think that the state wouldn't be more inclined to give fewer dollars to the colleges if they found out the new coach is making X% more then the previous one is insane.

I know contracts are year to year, and since we are in the fiscal year he won't have to be reported until next year, but I find it hard to believe that its not available somewhere before hand.

Comment

State fiscal years run from July 1 to June 30. I can't imagine that he won't start working before July 1, 2012. His salary is our business the minute he starts working. New professors start in August and they go onto the state open records Web site that same month.

Here's how this works:

Reporter: What are the terms of USD's agreement with Joe Glenn? When does he start working? How much is he being paid? Are there sources of income for him other than his base salary? What are they? What is his total annual compensation?

This is not difficult. If USD won't agree to "divulge" that information, that should become the story. If they're smart, they'll just say what it is and get on with things.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This is not difficult. If USD won't agree to "divulge" that information, that should become the story. If they're smart, they'll just say what it is and get on with things.
                        Everything that has been offered about the hiring of Coach Glenn, in my opinion, is nothing more than a press release on behalf of the University. SOFTBALLS (slowpitch, at that)

I'm sure that the hard hitting Argus Sports Editor will be all over this, as it is the Argus that was all over Governor Rounds about full disclosure and transparency of everyone that ever used the public toilets at the Capitol in Pierre.

It's a nice hire for the U, but we should know the details.

Comment

No news today on the salary. South Dakota media fail, day 2. Ask the question, report the answer (or non-answer.) Simple as that.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.
                              I would generally equate Tim Brewster with failure such as being HC at Minnesota, but I am not so quick to put this on Joe Glenn. The peter prinicple may have gotten him at Wyoming, but that may not define the rest of his coaching career. He might do very well at the FCS level which he did do at Montana. Too early to tell.

Comment

I played against his teams in the '90's. His UNC teams were always one of the best coached teams in the conference. They also had a ton of talent thanks to transfers from the Colorado schools (back when the buffs and CSU were actually good teams), but they were also extremely well coached. Good hire for USD.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X