Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD - Joe Glenn

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    The way I read JackMD's statement, Glenn was the one who said he was not expeceting a long term gig. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that is what he told Warren Swain.
    I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.
      You and your fancy Ipad.

Also, thanks for clarifying.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        For what it was worth, I wasn't attacking JackMd or anything he said. I was just filling in the blanks as I understand it.

Comment

I'm not saying it won't work, but I've heard the coach in waiting, groom a head coach act before and more times then not it doesn't work out that way. I don't know Wes, but does he want to be an assistant for another 5-7 years? If a head job comes up that at the same time is a salary increase would he leave for it?

Comment

On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.
              Yeah,i got a chuckle out of it. Stu could do a piece on the war in Afghanistan and stick some jabs at SDSU in it.

Comment

The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”
                  They may be tough competition for the perannuals to the Bottom Ten teams, New Mexico, New Mexico St, FIU, FAU. Sunbelt and MAC bottom feeders haven't faired well vs upper FCS teams.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Good to see that they are still making red kool-aid in Vermillion.

Comment

Am guessing this was an error by the Lincoln Journal Star and was supposed to be FCS. FCS makes more sense when read in context with the rest of the sentence. Joe drinks the same red kool-aid that I do, but he is also a realist.
                      USD Fan

Comment

A friend who happens to be a University of Wyoming Alum asked me today if I know how they are liking Joe Glenn at USD. I said that I thought they were thinking of him as the savior for their football program. Replied my friend, "We thought that too!" Time will tell.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I heard a clip on WNAX this AM, Coach Glenn seemed very realistic. Camp is going well and they are excited to play their first real game. He stated that he had no expectations except to compete each week and try to get a W. The same 1 week at a time mentality Stig preaches.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X