X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimmyJack
    replied
    Re: USD - Joe Glenn

I think it's smart to get somebody like Glenn to mentor Beschorner who, by all accounts, has great potential to become a head coach. They get a really appealing and enthusiastic guy to boot, and without breaking the bank. Sayler did well here.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Glenn interview with Warren Swain at half of mens bb game tonight. Said he told them no twice. Convinced him to be a "mentor" to the future coach. Very excited to meet the team and evaluate talent. D will be the focus, with changes expected there. Not expecting a long term gig.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Just read the Argus USD live chat from earlier today and Mick also had the salary figure. After reading through that,I am very glad that TV is the beat writer for the Jacks.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Jermey Hoeck of the PRess & Dakota is reporting he will make $126K which is pretty close to Stig..... I'm surprised thought he would be $150K+
    Kudos to Jeremy. I know he has been working on it and just hasn't been able to connect with David Sayler. When he did connect with Sayler, Jeremy got the answer. Good job.

USD should have been trumpeting that very reasonable salary the day Glenn was hired. Provides real proof for the narrative here that he's coming back to his alma mater out of loyalty and to give something back. He made $550k at Wyo, so clearly he is at USD because he wants to contribute. Good for him.

USD is getting a bargain. Just as SDSU is with Stig and all of our coaches.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

Jermey Hoeck of the PRess & Dakota is reporting he will make $126K which is pretty close to Stig..... I'm surprised thought he would be $150K+

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    I too thought those words were incorrect...
    No, I am pretty sure its suppose to be raise the gong........yes I am just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

I too thought those words were incorrect...

Leave a comment:

• Jacks#1Fan
    replied

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Ring the for bell South Dakota We Don't know the rest of the words... (Repeat) (last verse) Ring the bell for South Dakota 'cus We Don't know the rest of the words...Let's go drink some beer!

Ring the Bells
    Ring the bells for South Dakota The Yellow and the Blue
    Cheer the team from South Dakota
    With loyal hearts so true
    Win the game for South Dakota
    The school that serves us well;
    We will fight for South Dakota
    So let’s ring, ring, ring, those bells.

Yellow and Blue
    We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
    The Cheyenne and the Jim,
    From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
    Brimful of vigor and vim,
    We sing the song of the prairie,
    The home of the Yellow and Blue.
    The gleaming gold of the corn field,
    The flax of azure hue.
    Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
    Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
    Forever raise the song in praise both loud and long
    With loyal hearts so true (so true).

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1822
    Fixed it for you...and will let the Alumni Association know about it as well.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Not to sound like a broken record... but nothing on salary. Go park your butt outside of Sayler's office and ask when you see him. (And to think, I used to be annoyed when my editors would tell me stuff like that.)

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    I wonder if Mike Breske is still available.....
    His son Adam is already on the USD staff as co defensive cooridnator. I tend to think Mike might just stay put in Montana. He is 50 something and no doubt needs to be putting funds away for retirement. If the admin at USD gives a bump in salaries, I would expect him to find Mike wearing red very soon. My question is will USD tolerate his mouth tobacco?

Leave a comment:

• CatchEmAll
    replied

Bottom line is this is a good hire for USD. 1. They get an alum. 2. They get a guy who can show of his National Championship rings. 3. He'll put together a quality staff because he's a respected coach and guys that work with him know they'll be in a good situation and have good move on potential.

I would speculate that assuming Wes is kept on board, and according to other's thoughts, in a year or two he's named Associate Head Coach and after three seasons Glenn retires to pave the way for Wes to take over. That way Wes doesn't have to deal with whatever's being left behind directly, but at the same time he can develop his credibility to take over.

I wonder if Mike Breske is still available.....

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    I played against his teams in the '90's. His UNC teams were always one of the best coached teams in the conference. They also had a ton of talent thanks to transfers from the Colorado schools (back when the buffs and CSU were actually good teams), but they were also extremely well coached. Good hire for USD.
    I have a few friends from Greeley and they say there was reasons he had good teams at UNC. The fact was UNC got all the rejects from CU and CSU, he took on everyone. Transfers, flunk outs, off the field issues any type of issue like that and he was on them. Said that when they went D-I it caught up with the school, when you go D-I you can't do all of that. Plus UNC funded towards the high at D-II but was much lower when they went D-I.

I don't think coaching is the issue with Glenn I think its whether or not he can get the recruits on the field. You look at him and you see a coach who has won at places but never stayed very long. He is 62 and came out of retirement. The question will be can he recruit. Have his hot spots dried up? My friends from Wyoming said he flat out could not recruit at Wyoming. He hit up JuCo's and tried a few areas but couldn't recruit especially on offense. He is going into a place where many players liked their former coach, which I'm guessing will lead to a few transfers, on top of a senior heavy team. Probably some new coaches, I saw somewhere that a University of Mary coach is expected to join him. Add in that any FCS recruit is going to say, hey he ain't staying long against him and you wonder how well he will be able to recruit. Montana has WAY more resources when it comes to recruiting then USD every will have.

Leave a comment:

• MilwaukeeJacksAlum
    replied

I played against his teams in the '90's. His UNC teams were always one of the best coached teams in the conference. They also had a ton of talent thanks to transfers from the Colorado schools (back when the buffs and CSU were actually good teams), but they were also extremely well coached. Good hire for USD.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.
    I would generally equate Tim Brewster with failure such as being HC at Minnesota, but I am not so quick to put this on Joe Glenn. The peter prinicple may have gotten him at Wyoming, but that may not define the rest of his coaching career. He might do very well at the FCS level which he did do at Montana. Too early to tell.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X