X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackmd
    replied
    Re: USD - Joe Glenn

I heard a clip on WNAX this AM, Coach Glenn seemed very realistic. Camp is going well and they are excited to play their first real game. He stated that he had no expectations except to compete each week and try to get a W. The same 1 week at a time mentality Stig preaches.

Leave a comment:

• West-River_Jack
    replied

A friend who happens to be a University of Wyoming Alum asked me today if I know how they are liking Joe Glenn at USD. I said that I thought they were thinking of him as the savior for their football program. Replied my friend, "We thought that too!" Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• hareball
    replied

Am guessing this was an error by the Lincoln Journal Star and was supposed to be FCS. FCS makes more sense when read in context with the rest of the sentence. Joe drinks the same red kool-aid that I do, but he is also a realist.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”
    Good to see that they are still making red kool-aid in Vermillion.

Leave a comment:

• rabidrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”
    They may be tough competition for the perannuals to the Bottom Ten teams, New Mexico, New Mexico St, FIU, FAU. Sunbelt and MAC bottom feeders haven't faired well vs upper FCS teams.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jack power
    replied

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.
    Yeah,i got a chuckle out of it. Stu could do a piece on the war in Afghanistan and stick some jabs at SDSU in it.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

I'm not saying it won't work, but I've heard the coach in waiting, groom a head coach act before and more times then not it doesn't work out that way. I don't know Wes, but does he want to be an assistant for another 5-7 years? If a head job comes up that at the same time is a salary increase would he leave for it?

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.
    For what it was worth, I wasn't attacking JackMd or anything he said. I was just filling in the blanks as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.
    You and your fancy Ipad.

Also, thanks for clarifying.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    The way I read JackMD's statement, Glenn was the one who said he was not expeceting a long term gig. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that is what he told Warren Swain.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    I do think the hire of Joe Glenn is a very good for the new AD. It is certainly a safe one, and none that makes a ton of sense. I know Joe personally and this guy bleeds Coyote red. His experience and knowledge will be good tools in grooming Wes for the next coach when that happens. What I dispute is Jackmds comment it is a short term gig. I know that Joe plans on being there 5-7 years depending on how he feels. He has come home, and he is excited as heck.Grooming Wesley makes a ton of sense. He is a very nice young man, I think will prove out to be an effective coordinator, and I believe has all the attributes to head this program someday. A lot of that decision making will be made after Joes tenure and if he thinks Wes is ready or not. Both Joe and Wes are die hard Coyotes.I really appreciate what Meierkort did for USD, but a decision was made to change, and I accept that decision. That doesn't mean I like it, but if Sayler believes it is what is best for USD, then so be it. Hiring Glenn took the edge off some nervous Meierkort supporters.
    The way I read JackMD's statement, Glenn was the one who said he was not expeceting a long term gig. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that is what he told Warren Swain.

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    This is exactly what I thought was going to happen when he got hired and then a buddy of mine, who follows USD football, said that he must be there to groom Wes Beschorner. Did he say he wasn't expecting a long time gig? I think it's pretty well understood that he won't be there long, but I can't see that helping recruiting if he's saying that.
    I do think the hire of Joe Glenn is a very good for the new AD. It is certainly a safe one, and none that makes a ton of sense. I know Joe personally and this guy bleeds Coyote red. His experience and knowledge will be good tools in grooming Wes for the next coach when that happens. What I dispute is Jackmds comment it is a short term gig. I know that Joe plans on being there 5-7 years depending on how he feels. He has come home, and he is excited as heck.Grooming Wesley makes a ton of sense. He is a very nice young man, I think will prove out to be an effective coordinator, and I believe has all the attributes to head this program someday. A lot of that decision making will be made after Joes tenure and if he thinks Wes is ready or not. Both Joe and Wes are die hard Coyotes.I really appreciate what Meierkort did for USD, but a decision was made to change, and I accept that decision. That doesn't mean I like it, but if Sayler believes it is what is best for USD, then so be it. Hiring Glenn took the edge off some nervous Meierkort supporters.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Glenn interview with Warren Swain at half of mens bb game tonight. Said he told them no twice. Convinced him to be a "mentor" to the future coach. Very excited to meet the team and evaluate talent. D will be the focus, with changes expected there. Not expecting a long term gig.
    This is exactly what I thought was going to happen when he got hired and then a buddy of mine, who follows USD football, said that he must be there to groom Wes Beschorner. Did he say he wasn't expecting a long time gig? I think it's pretty well understood that he won't be there long, but I can't see that helping recruiting if he's saying that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X