Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coyotes humbled again

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    I want the same look/feeling of the TCU game from NCAA play-offs last year. TCU's coach's post-game comment was a thoroughly enjoyed line, and I'd like to see that stunned look again.
    They should play highlights from that post-game presser before every women's game.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Judging from a couple of televised games, the Coyote women seem to have good skills. But they also seem a tad slow. Maybe two tads slow. If the Jacks shoot reasonably well and keep up their normal quick pace, the game shouldn't be close.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Seems to me like people are worried about this game. I could give a crap.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Worried wouldn't be the right way to describe my feelings about it. Curious is probably the best thing I can come up with. Curious to see how our players, most of whom have little familiarity with USD, respond to this opponent. Curious to see how our fans, especially the students, respond to a non-conference game that will have no implications on the remainder of our season. Curious to see how the media, especially guys like Stu, Mick, and Craig Mattock handle the story about the "renewal of THE rivalry".

I will admit that I am excited for Ketty being from Yankton and having a chance to compete against her former teammate Kara Iverson.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            There's a big difference between worried and hungry!

Let's eat!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

In preparation for the Summit League Tournament, I decided not to attend the USD game.

Actually, before the season started (or USD was an announced visitor, I decided I was only going to attend the doubleheaders (new baby in the house), and in financial preparation for the tournament, and out of love for the wife and child, I decided to skip the UMKC doubleheader and will also not attend the USD game, the NDSU doubleheader will most likely be my last games until the tournament.

The tournament will be an expensive weekend....with the eating out and gas money and ticket and what-not. (I missed last years tournament, as the wife was 8 1/2 mos. prego.) but did buy the summit package to catch the games.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

If you're gonna bring up USD losses also do bring up the fact that they just came off a fairly big win up in Grand Forks against UND. They have been inconsistant this year and have laid a couple of eggs but we all know that UND is still a decent program and they beat them so I would say they have a good chance to make it a good game but also could get blown out as well, so we'll see. If you want to smack that's fine to bring up only the losses but if you want to talk seriously about the game bring up the wins and losses.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Since this topic was brought up initially to discuss the men lets also not forget that the Mens team is in the drivers seat to win the Great West Conference in their second year of D1 and just ripped a 2-0 conference team on their home court by over 20. It may not be the best conference in the nation but remember how much the "D1" label was used to SDSU's benefit when the Yotes were still in D2. It was always mentioned how much USD would struggle when making the move to "D1". In mens basketball D1 is just that a label. Alot of the clubs are better in D1 but certainly there are many that are also really not that great either. USD was able to play with and nearly beat Cornell who is now slated to be a #10 seed in the latest bracketology projection on ESPN. They actually play tough against them both last year and this year, home and road.

So when saying humbled again as in the topic thread, that is true but it's also true that they have had just as many games where they have looked fairly good.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Yeah? And how many teams in the Great West are tournament eligible?

Comment

• Re: Coyotes humbled again

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      Since this topic was brought up initially to discuss the men lets also not forget that the Mens team is in the drivers seat to win the Great West Conference in their second year of D1 and just ripped a 2-0 conference team on their home court by over 20. It may not be the best conference in the nation but remember how much the "D1" label was used to SDSU's benefit when the Yotes were still in D2. It was always mentioned how much USD would struggle when making the move to "D1". In mens basketball D1 is just that a label. Alot of the clubs are better in D1 but certainly there are many that are also really not that great either. USD was able to play with and nearly beat Cornell who is now slated to be a #10 seed in the latest bracketology projection on ESPN. They actually play tough against them both last year and this year, home and road.

So when saying humbled again as in the topic thread, that is true but it's also true that they have had just as many games where they have looked fairly good.
                      "What a strange person."

I totally understand why you have a warped view of the reality of Division I. GWC is in fact the worst conference in the country. It's even weaker than "Independents" and that is very, very hard to do.

That team you're so proud of "ripping by 20 points on their home court" is ranked by Sagarin #340 of 347 in D-1. Hardly a bragging point. (And speaking as a fan of a school that managed to somehow lose to NJIT a few years ago, trust me, beating that level of team isn't--shouldn't be--that big a deal.) But since I brought it up, how did you guys manage to lose to Utah Valley? Heck, even UND beat those guys.

But I digress . . . here comes the science . . .
                      Sagarin, 1-30-2010:
                      1 ATLANTIC COAST
                      2 BIG 12
                      3 BIG EAST
                      4 BIG TEN
                      5 SOUTHEASTERN
                      6 PACIFIC-10
                      7 ATLANTIC 10
                      8 MOUNTAIN WEST
                      9 MISSOURI VALLEY
                      10 CONFERENCE USA
                      11 WESTERN ATHLETIC
                      12 COLONIAL
                      13 HORIZON
                      14 WEST COAST
                      15 METRO ATLANTIC
                      16 MID-AMERICAN
                      17 BIG SKY
                      18 SOUTHERN
                      19 BIG WEST
                      20 SUN BELT
                      21 OHIO VALLEY
                      22 ATLANTIC SUN
                      23 SUMMIT LEAGUE
                      24 IVY LEAGUE
                      25 AMERICA EAST
                      26 SOUTHLAND
                      27 PATRIOT
                      28 BIG SOUTH
                      29 NORTHEAST
                      30 MID-EASTERN
                      31 INDEPENDENTS
                      32 SOUTHWESTERN
                      33 GREAT WEST

The Great West, in the vernacular, sucks. It's a league of misfits, transitional teams, and schools no other conference wants. It's clinging to D-I by its fingernails. In the biosphere of D-I, the Great West is somewhere between protozoan and pond scum.

Now, to slip up and almost say something nice about USD in a smack thread (a bad habit I really need to work on) . . . if USD were in the Summit, you'd be somewhere in the middle of the pack:
                      103 Oakland = 76.44
                      109 IUPUI = 75.89
                      137 Oral Roberts = 73.71
                      212 South Dakota State = 68.94
                      250 IPFW = 66.17
                      240 South Dakota = 66.85
                      266 North Dakota State = 64.57
                      276 UMKC = 63.71
                      297 Western Illinois = 61.61
                      313 Centenary = 60.04
                      319 Southern Utah = 59.11

This means that USD doesn't completely suck. A team that doesn't completely suck, in a league that sucks bigtime, should expect to have a lot of success.

Your Cornell argument has slightly more validity, but you caught a Cornell team that had just played probably their game of the year two days earlier in Lawrence. I don't think it's particularly smacky to say that playing in front of friends and family in the DakotaDome isn't exactly the same environment as Allen Fieldhouse. It would have been really remarkable if Cornell didn't have a fairly big letdown. I mean come on . . . #1 Kansas . . . USD, not yet even full D-I?

Even with that, if you consistently got to play teams the next game after Bill Self's Jayhawks beat up on them, you probably would have better than average success.

But, finishing up this particular point, SDSU played Purdue tough for 40 minutes and lost by 9 on a neutral court--with no home court advantage--and Purdue is a 4 seed in Creme's Bracketology right now. 4 is bigger than 10, so we played close and got beat by a better team than you did. Nah na na na na na na na. Pfffft.

Finally, if you really think that D-I is "just a label," then you are deficient in logical thinking, because that statement completely undermines the entire rest of your argument (for instance, if D-I is just a label, then what's your point about Cornell?).

And your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

Now, go away, or I shall taunt you second time!

(Careful, because I'm about to start catapulting cows! Run Away!)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        If you're gonna bring up USD losses also do bring up the fact that they just came off a fairly big win up in Grand Forks against UND. They have been inconsistant this year and have laid a couple of eggs but we all know that UND is still a decent program and they beat them so I would say they have a good chance to make it a good game but also could get blown out as well, so we'll see. If you want to smack that's fine to bring up only the losses but if you want to talk seriously about the game bring up the wins and losses.
                        Since this topic was brought up to discuss men's basketball...

He is right, we should bring up the fact that they beat UND recently. Congratulations on your "fairly big win" in Grand Forks.

UND's wins so far this season:

79-55 against Waldorf (that's an NAIA school)
                        69-58 against St. Olaf (that's a DIII school)
                        67-62 against Utah Valley (they are at least DI, but only 8 schools have a lower RPI)

That's right folks, the team yote fans are so happy to beat in a "fairly big win" is UND. I must admit, I'm impressed.

Oh, were you talking about the UND women? They have 6 DI wins this year, one of which was against USD in Vermillion. If UND has a decent program, you could also say that SDSU had a decent men's program through the transition.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Since this topic was brought up to discuss men's basketball...

He is right, we should bring up the fact that they beat UND recently. Congratulations on your "fairly big win" in Grand Forks.

UND's wins so far this season:

79-55 against Waldorf (that's an NAIA school)
                          69-58 against St. Olaf (that's a DIII school)
                          67-62 against Utah Valley (they are at least DI, but only 8 schools have a lower RPI)

That's right folks, the team yote fans are so happy to beat in a "fairly big win" is UND. I must admit, I'm impressed.

Oh, were you talking about the UND women? They have 6 DI wins this year, one of which was against USD in Vermillion. If UND has a decent program, you could also say that SDSU had a decent men's program through the transition.
                          Oh, man, that one's gonna leave a mark . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Coyotes will not finish above .500 in the Summit league for the first 5 years of their participation. Why do I say that? Because its the smack section and because I don't see any clear indicator that USD will fair any better that we did. More importantly, I see several reasons they won't fair as well. No facility dedicated to basketball, a team currently bolstered by JUCO's and transfers in, a so-called rivalry with a team that won't change their nickname and therefore won't be joining a conference.

Current team is lead by Cain who is done, Smith who is done, Gentry who is done, and the 2 JUCO's. Thomas and Krogman are good scorers against teams with average guard play, especially at the dome but neither are point guards.

Now, I'm not saying that this is unusual for a team in transition to DI. Transition is darn tough and you have to take your lumps and keep your head up, stay with the philosophy that got you where you are.

To arrive on our site and suggest we need to watch out for USD as they are about to burst on the scene and knock us off as a top tier team in the league is ridiculous. You have no facts to support that and there is plenty of precedent to suggest otherwise. In addition our future is very bright, very bright.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USD Women

Wed, Nov 11Winona State (exh.) (Yankton, S.D.)L, 48-52 Sun, Nov 15Wisconsin-Green Bay (Sioux Falls Arena, Sioux Falls, S.D.)L, 40-53 Tue, Nov 24Iowa Wesleyan (Vermillion, S.D.)W, 71-56 Sun, Nov 29at Wichita State (Wichita, Kan.)L, 60-65 Thu, Dec 3at Nebraska (Lincoln, Neb.)L, 38-77 Sun, Dec 6at Santa Clara (Santa Clara, Calif.)W, 69-66 Thu, Dec 10Black Hills State (Vermillion, S.D.)W, 67-49 Sun, Dec 13at Northern Iowa (Cedar Falls, Iowa)L, 60-80 Sun, Dec 20Mount Marty (Vermillion, S.D.)W, 67-52 Tue, Dec 29at Cal State Northridge (Northridge, Calif.)W, 47-46 Sat, Jan 2at Colorado State (Fort Collins, Colo.)L, 47-52 Tue, Jan 5at Iowa State (Ames, Iowa)L, 43-68 Sun, Jan 10Seattle (Vermillion, S.D.)W, 67-53 Sat, Jan 16North Dakota * (Vermillion, S.D.) (Midco)L, 51-54 Mon, Jan 18at SIU Edwardsville (Edwardsville, Ill.)L, 51-62 Thu, Jan 21at Utah Valley * (Orem, Utah)W, 65-56 Sat, Jan 23at North Dakota * (Grand Forks, N.D.) (Midco)W, 72-57 Thu, Jan 28at Houston Baptist * (Houston, Texas)L, 70-74 (OT)

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Current team is lead by Cain who is done, Smith who is done, Gentry who is done, and the 2 JUCO's. Thomas and Krogman are good scorers against teams with average guard play, especially at the dome but neither are point guards.

This interests me. I noticed that Cain, Smith, and Gentry are all Seniors this year.

Coyotefan ~ Does USD have anyone coming in to bring USD back? This isn't smack it's a serious question. I can't really see that kid from Roosevelt doing much. Put him against Dykstra and Heemstra and it can't even be close.

The men's lineup will be Wolters, Dykstra, Heemstra, Horstman, White, Fiegen, Carlson over the next 3 years following this year. (I'm sure I forgot someone) If Nagy can pick up a true big man in Horstman's class or as a Juco. Seriously lookout. These kids could be good. Another backup point guard and a big man would solidify this group.

I really don't follow USD at all. I'm not from SD so I don't know anything about them. I'm sure they'll be fine and eventually come back.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X