USD Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Tailgating

Well here is a former USD student that wishes she could get the year and a half she spent at USD back.

Sarah Simpson

posted 9/03/08 @ 2:51 PM CST

I came to USD as a freshman excited about the student center and campus in general but it turned out to be the worst year and a half of my life...with the location of USD, it is imperative that the school provide many student activities. I feel that USD failed on all levels of that promise, very rarely were there activities that encouraged students to stay on campus during the weekends...I ended up leaving most weekends and going to SDSU, a school that understands the importance of programming, they had activities going on constantly and I appreciated that....now I am a junior at Iowa State and am so glad I transferred...the only good thing about attending USD was the $20,000 scholarship they awarded me. A big part of the reason I left was the lack of student center and the horrible quality of food. Iowa State's students depend on the Union for meeting places, food, studying, entertainment, etc. I can't imagine campus without it. I've been gone for almost a year now and I sure hope the food quality has improved for all of you...nobody should have to pay that much money for poor selection and food that leaves you feeling sick. I sure hope you guys get a student center soon, USD needs it!
    Hmmm... Sounds like they are having a little difficulting in constructing that Student Center. Maybe if they had some Construction Manager's from SDSU show them how it is done.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      Well here is a former USD student that wishes she could get the year and a half she spent at USD back.

Hmmm... Sounds like they are having a little difficulting in constructing that Student Center. Maybe if they had some Construction Manager's from SDSU show them how it is done.
      I don't think the guys in the program are desperate for work. We're busy with float building and building a Habitat house in 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Its a triple abbey ale. I get it in Rochester, MN. I don't know of anyplace in South Dakota. You use to be able to get it in Iowa City but I haven't checked in a while.

The local brew pub in Yankton had St. Bernardus on draft for a while. It was alright. You can get the Trappist ales in a bottle.

Not sure if you can have beer shipped to North Dakota. If so, check out this website from Iowa City. You can get just about anything your heart would desire.

http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/index.cfm
        I'll be in Iowa City this weekend. I am going to say something to make you real jeolous. My brother used to work at John's and we benefited greatly from that (nothing illegal, just the inside track on the many different beers there.) They have a great Beer Cave as well. that place is legendary in Iowa. Also, sorry to say it is illegal to ship alcohol across state lines. Also I think you are referring to Ben's Brewery in Yankton, right? Been meaning to get over there. How is it?

UTH, hate to burst your bubble, but I posted earlier that those pictures were from an official school sponsered function to the east of the Dome, hence no beer. The beer drinking was going on in the North Lot. Lots of it too.

Now,as for the Student Center and other construction projects. Students b*tch and b*tch and b*tch all the time around here about construction projects. Why aren't they done? My money is going towards this. Blah, blah, blah. I'll be the first to say this, USD has some of the whiniest and most uninformed students I have ever seen, and I'll go one further, I'll give your students props because I rarely hear any of them b*tching about progress. So take any letters you read from students in context.

I'll also add, what student, from any school, have you ever talked to that didn't complain about the food service? Seriously. I bet that didn't stop her from putting on the Freshman 15. And you know, USD does have a student activities counsel and they do put on programs very regularly. Classic case of someone not getting involved with school activities and then complaining there is nothing to do. Heard that story many times before. She went here for the money, $20,000. I thought you came to school to learn and get involved in things, not eat and be entertained.

I'm seriously perplexed by this. "I left because there was no student center." WTH is that? There is a student center, temporary, right next to Beede/Mick, so you won't have to walk as far either.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Its a triple abbey ale. I get it in Rochester, MN. I don't know of anyplace in South Dakota. You use to be able to get it in Iowa City but I haven't checked in a while.

The local brew pub in Yankton had St. Bernardus on draft for a while. It was alright. You can get the Trappist ales in a bottle.

Not sure if you can have beer shipped to North Dakota. If so, check out this website from Iowa City. You can get just about anything your heart would desire.

http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/index.cfm

So, staying on topic here, any IPA is great for when it starts to cool off outside. I'll have to keep that in mind next home game...

It should be easy to get Piraat. I'll have to get Captain Jacks here in Bismarck to order a bunch. They've come through for me pretty well before. Other 'rarer' beers that I've gotten them to order include Staryi Mel'nik (Old Miller - Russian) and Karlovačko (Croatian), both daily staples for me when 'there'. A good Belgian (Dutch / Flemmish?) ale should sell much more easily. It oughta be a done deal and I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
            So, staying on topic here, any IPA is great for when it starts to cool off outside. I'll have to keep that in mind next home game...

It should be easy to get Piraat. I'll have to get Captain Jacks here in Bismarck to order a bunch. They've come through for me pretty well before. Other 'rarer' beers that I've gotten them to order include Staryi Mel'nik (Old Miller - Russian) and Karlovačko (Croatian), both daily staples for me when 'there'. A good Belgian (Dutch / Flemmish?) ale should sell much more easily. It oughta be a done deal and I'll let you know how it goes.
            I love the part where the video says tailgating D-I style.......that's a self burn if I've ever seen one.

Back on topic....not an import but I'm a big fan of Blue Moon...can't beat that stuff with a stick. Also, the worst beer I've ever had was Schlitz Ice......came in a flat black can and was like 3.99 for a twelver.....should have known to stay away but you have to try everything once right?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I love the part where the video says tailgating D-I style.......that's a self burn if I've ever seen one.

Back on topic....not an import but I'm a big fan of Blue Moon...can't beat that stuff with a stick. Also, the worst beer I've ever had was Schlitz Ice......came in a flat black can and was like 3.99 for a twelver.....should have known to stay away but you have to try everything once right?

But Belgian in the same way that I am Norwegian, then? It's all good.

Comment

Yote53,
                Why did you ever let him leave that position? That was a sweet connection. As for shipping beer, the legality of it depends on the state you are shipping from and to. I believe Sd just changed the law so that small wineries can do mail orders, but did not allow small breweries the same right. An absolutely idiotic distinction especially given that many of the beers that are shipped this way are far more expensive than the wines that get shipped (argument against was minors gaining access). What 14 or 15 year old is going to spend $25 or more for a six pack, (includes shipping)? So in Sd it is still technically illegal, not sure in ND. I know the state of WA allows shipping and there is adistributer in Seattle that ships a ton. You have to, or at least you had to the last time, certify that it was legal in your state to accept it by marking a box on the online order form. Wish I could remember the name. Alaskan Brewing Company makes many great beers, I love the smoked porter, and they are all available.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The USD Student Center is behind because of the contractor constructing it (Krause-Anderson from MPLS - also building the new Twins stadium). They are currently in penalty mode and are paying daily fines. All higher ed construction projects are managed by the State Engineer's Office in Pierre.

The student center is valued at $20 million and is just one of several projects underway on campus. USD just finished the $37 million medical building, work started in June on a $16 million business school and work will start on a $8 million renovation of Slagle Hall later this fall. All told, $81 million in current construction projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                    The USD Student Center is behind because of the contractor constructing it (Krause-Anderson from MPLS - also building the new Twins stadium). They are currently in penalty mode and are paying daily fines. All higher ed construction projects are managed by the State Engineer's Office in Pierre.

The student center is valued at $20 million and is just one of several projects underway on campus. USD just finished the $37 million medical building, work started in June on a $16 million business school and work will start on a $8 million renovation of Slagle Hall later this fall. All told, $81 million in current construction projects.
                    The medical building construction was also greatly delayed, needed funding over budget, and created a lot of headaches. Seems to be a recurring theme.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      Yote53,
                      Why did you ever let him leave that position? That was a sweet connection. As for shipping beer, the legality of it depends on the state you are shipping from and to. I believe Sd just changed the law so that small wineries can do mail orders, but did not allow small breweries the same right. An absolutely idiotic distinction especially given that many of the beers that are shipped this way are far more expensive than the wines that get shipped (argument against was minors gaining access). What 14 or 15 year old is going to spend $25 or more for a six pack, (includes shipping)? So in Sd it is still technically illegal, not sure in ND. I know the state of WA allows shipping and there is adistributer in Seattle that ships a ton. You have to, or at least you had to the last time, certify that it was legal in your state to accept it by marking a box on the online order form. Wish I could remember the name. Alaskan Brewing Company makes many great beers, I love the smoked porter, and they are all available.

Or just get a friendly neighborhood shop to order it for you. Too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure the rules are drastically different - a lot like an FFL.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                        Or just get a friendly neighborhood shop to order it for you. Too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure the rules are drastically different - a lot like an FFL.
                        You can get beer shipped to you across state lines, it just has to be packaged as something else. As they say, it never hurts to ask (don't try that strategy with my wife). I usual have it shipped to my brother in Des Moines and then he brings it across state lines.

You can get some decent beers at the World Market. They have products from the Boulder Brewing company (I like Hazed and Infused) and Maudite. I don't think they have any of the Rogue beers, I like Skullsplitter and Dead Guy (I'm an ale fan).

As for the local brew pub, it is Ben's Brewing Company. They have a great selection of draft beer including Ben's current micro brew Diamond Don Ale (its an American pale ale). If you are in Yankton you need to check out Ben's, no smoking, no liquor, just beer and wine.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My brother's departure from John's was due to graduation from U of I. So he was put into a sort of "forced retirement" and had to grow up.

I think it is Boulevard brewing that has come out with their "Smokehouse Series". there are 5 beers in the series and they are awesome. I personally like the IPA but the others are also complex and full of flavor. Check them out.

I should add that while I like and appreciate the high end beers, my "bread and butter" are those that were left in the past and are commonly referred to as crappy beers. My favorites and everyday beers are PBR, Old Style, Hamms, Old Mil Light, Leinie's Original (excellent), even Bud. Anything that tastes like real beer instead of the light crap that everyone else drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                            My brother's departure from John's was due to graduation from U of I. So he was put into a sort of "forced retirement" and had to grow up.

I think it is Boulevard brewing that has come out with their "Smokehouse Series". there are 5 beers in the series and they are awesome. I personally like the IPA but the others are also complex and full of flavor. Check them out.

I should add that while I like and appreciate the high end beers, my "bread and butter" are those that were left in the past and are commonly referred to as crappy beers. My favorites and everyday beers are PBR, Old Style, Hamms, Old Mil Light, Leinie's Original (excellent), even Bud. Anything that tastes like real beer instead of the light crap that everyone else drinks.
                            It's Boulevard, but it's the Smokestack Series. I've only had the IPA. Agree. It's awesome, and so is their regular pale ale. And, as I was warned by the cashier at the liquor store, they're higher in alcohol content, "So ya gotta watch out."
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                              It's Boulevard, but it's the Smokestack Series. I've only had the IPA. Agree. It's awesome, and so is their regular pale ale. And, as I was warned by the cashier at the liquor store, they're higher in alcohol content, "So ya gotta watch out."
                              The Boulevard Smokestack IPA is a bit too bitter for my palate, but I wholeheartedly recommend the rest of the series.

And yes, approach them with respect. Trust me on this one . . .
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It appears that a mutual love of beer has brought the Jackrabbit and Coyote nations together in peace and harmony. This heartwarming moment has been facilitated by our Bison friend UTH.

Seriously, though. We might need a beer thread on this forum. I like Mexican beers (actually, they're Austrian since Austrian brewmeisters were brought in to set up most of the Mexican breweries.) Number one on my list is Modelo Especial. It's basically the state beer of Oklahoma, or at least the unofficial favorite beer of Norman, Oklahoma which is home to many great Mexican restaurants.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X