UNI Downs USD, But Coyotes Gain Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Downs USD, But Coyotes Gain Respect

24-13 was the final and honestly I am proud of the effort USD gave today. A few too many penalties and untimely turnovers. It seems like the possession time and yardage was near equal. This was far from a one sided game and one that backs my theory that the top level of D2 isn't far behind D1 FCS let alone the top tier of FCS. I can't say for sure that USD would even be a top 20 D2 team this year. They may but may not. USD played UNI just as tough as the Jacks have done. Now lets get UNI to come to the thunder dome.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: UNI Downs USD, But Coyotes Gain Respect

USD outgained UNI 415-324. I think it's fair to say that USD held their own well eventhough they did lose the game. If USD could just hold onto the ball better and not have stupid penalties they could be a pretty good team. Time of possession USD 37:23 to 22:37 for UNI.

I know a loss is a loss but i think this proves that the FCS game is just not that much better than top level D2. It's better but as I have said all along, not that much better. The NCC is the ultimate proving ground.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

You know . . . last week, a couple of posters here said that "the Jacks weren't 27 points worse than Iowa State" and I said "well, tonight they were."

Today, USD was 11 points worse than Northern Iowa.

Not a bad showing at all, and I give the Yotes full props for the effort, but all it proves that on one day, the Yotes can be competitive and lose a reasonably close game on the road to an FCS team.

I'd be disappointed if I were in your shoes.

We'll see how you do next year against a full FCS schedule.

Now, I gotta get back to the Jacks thumping FCS perennial power Youngstown State . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        The NCC is the ultimate proving ground.
        Wow! Have you ever got a lot to learn.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

And this game doesn't even count, because it wasn't in the Butler Center.

Comment

I'll give USD credit for playing well in this one. I expected a blowout, but they hung in there tough and really played well on offense. They did gain some respect tonight by playing a very good FCS team close. You can't take that away from them no matter how annoying CF is with his "d2 = fcs" baloney.

Of course no sign of Yote 53 who had us getting b...slapped by Youngstown who we beat 40-7. 500 yards of offense to 200. That's against the #14 team in the country. 1-0 in the MVFC, a real conference (by CF's definition).

Will we get respect from CF or Yote 53? Nope.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I actually am not surprised USD played them tough. I say that because of the field.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but USD seems to play well on artificial turf (or whatever you want to call it) Get them outside on the real stuff and they are terrible.

I was for some reason really scared and dreading UNI wouldn't show up and get beat or something and we'd all be eating crow.

Thank God UNI won or we'd never hear the end of it.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                I actually am not surprised USD played them tough. I say that because of the field.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but USD seems to play well on artificial turf (or whatever you want to call it) Get them outside on the real stuff and they are terrible.

I was for some reason really scared and dreading UNI wouldn't show up and get beat or something and we'd all be eating crow.

SDSU 40, Youngstown State 7. Yotes have some catching up to do.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  SDSU 40, Youngstown State 7. Yotes have some catching up to do.
                  No question there, but still, I was dreading UNI not showing up or something ungodly happening as USD pulling one out of their arse and winning or something crazy like that.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

I don't think the field surface is really that big of an issue. The Yotes don't play well in Grand Forks and if I recall I think UNO now has turf and they were blown out down there. If anything the fast surface should have given UNI a bigger advantage so the speed difference would be ever further exploited. USD has also been beaten up in Duluth and they have turf as well.

BTW good win against Youngstown State. Impressive.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      I don't think the field surface is really that big of an issue. The Yotes don't play well in Grand Forks and if I recall I think UNO now has turf and they were blown out down there. If anything the fast surface should have given UNI a bigger advantage so the speed difference would be ever further exploited. USD has also been beaten up in Duluth and they have turf as well.

BTW good win against Youngstown State. Impressive.
                      Meierkort rebuilt that program to emphasize speed, which was smart and positioned them well to move up. CF and others have made the argument that they were better positioned to move up than we were, and if you take the results of our first official FCS game versus theirs, they have the edge there. Sure, we're a few years ahead of them, but I'm impressed that they could hang with UNI. We'll get a good look at UNI in a couple of weeks, so that should be interesting. They proved something on the field Saturday, and whether you're a bitter SDSU partisan or not, you have to give them credit for playing well in a tough atmosphere, particularly on defense, which has been a sore spot for them.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Okay, it appears USD played better than most expected, based on the score. But, there's another factor not being discussed: How good is UNI? Or, how about: Did UNI have some particular problems in this game? We just played a good Youngstown team but a team that probably should not have been rated higher than SDSU.

When we play the Panthers, we may be in a position to make to better comparisons.

The next polls to come out should show significant movement among the top teams.

Comment

I listened to the game on the internet before the Jacks game and UNI didn't have any particular problems although they did have some big penalties that keep some USD drives alive. UNI came up big when they had to, but USD seemed to be pretty prepared for the game and at times seemed to be in control. If not for the turnovers they had they would have won, had they scored on those drives. The coyotes took the crowd out of the game. If Coach Stig has the Jacks as prepared as they were for YSU, IMHO there will be another check in the win column.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I'll give USD credit for playing well in this one. I expected a blowout, but they hung in there tough and really played well on offense. They did gain some respect tonight by playing a very good FCS team close. You can't take that away from them no matter how annoying CF is with his "d2 = fcs" baloney.

Of course no sign of Yote 53 who had us getting b...slapped by Youngstown who we beat 40-7. 500 yards of offense to 200. That's against the #14 team in the country. 1-0 in the MVFC, a real conference (by CF's definition).

Will we get respect from CF or Yote 53? Nope.

I have been away from my computer until now. I'll admit, when I saw that SDSU score roll across the ticker last night on ESPN I choked on the beer I was drinking (I think it just went down the wrong pipe.) Congratulations on thumping Youngstown. I didn't think you would, you proved me wrong. Now, I really want to see how SDSU does over at UNI, given USD's game there today. I know comparitive scores just don't work, but it's all we have right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                              I have been away from my computer until now. I'll admit, when I saw that SDSU score roll across the ticker last night on ESPN I choked on the beer I was drinking (I think it just went down the wrong pipe.) Congratulations on thumping Youngstown. I didn't think you would, you proved me wrong. Now, I really want to see how SDSU does over at UNI, given USD's game there today. I know comparitive scores just don't work, but it's all we have right now.
                              Be careful with the comparative score thing, because right now by that measure SDSU is within ten points of Ohio State.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X