UNI Downs USD, But Coyotes Gain Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNI Downs USD, But Coyotes Gain Respect

Today I'm a huge believer in the comparative score thing.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Be careful with the comparative score thing, because right now by that measure SDSU is within ten points of Ohio State.
      And Iowa State is 20 points better than Ohio State.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The comparative score thing will never work because in college athletics emotion plays a big part of the final score. USD came in pumped to show they belong, UNI wants to win the game but they also need to work some things out without showing too much going into conference season. Also, winning the game does nothing for them (losing would though). The emotion of a conference game will do wonders for UNI's performance. The best thing we'll have going for us is that we pi$$ pounded Youngstown which will make UNI fans like us just a little bit more.

USD did a great job in that game. There was no question that they had the offense to compete but I was surprised by their defense. The rest of the season is going to be interesting. Over on AGS I predicted they would go 3-3 in DI games this year. That seems even more possible now.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

After last night I wish we were playing USD. Its interesting remarks by Meirkort in the Argus article such as the running backs are used to making longer runs, but were quickly stopped by UNI. hMMMMMM I think SDSU fans can all put that in perspective. Can we say Danny Batten and Jimmy Rogers? They did okay against the YSU running game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
            I have been away from my computer until now. I'll admit, when I saw that SDSU score roll across the ticker last night on ESPN I choked on the beer I was drinking (I think it just went down the wrong pipe.) Congratulations on thumping Youngstown. I didn't think you would, you proved me wrong. Now, I really want to see how SDSU does over at UNI, given USD's game there today. I know comparitive scores just don't work, but it's all we have right now.
            The coaches and players will be focused on a very good Western Illinois team this week, as will I. When you play in the Valley you don't look beyond the next game or you get your ass kicked. I am certain our guys are quite confident that they can play with anybody on the schedule. When Sept 20th rolls around the Jacks will bring their A game to the UNIdome. I wish I could be there but I'll have to listen on WNAX.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Has USD ever beaten a FCS opponent???? Maybe Coyote Fan(s) can tell us how similar DII is to FCS when they actually win a game against an FCS team.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No but they also have never lost as all FCS games have been on the road.

No doubt SDSU's first FCS game didn't go so well, but if memory serves me the second one was pretty good.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Has USD ever beaten a FCS opponent???? Maybe Coyote Fan(s) can tell us how similar DII is to FCS when they actually win a game against an FCS team.
                  The Yotes don't beat good D2 teams on the road either so nothing has changed in that aspect, except when it really counted in the playoffs. It will be nice once USD get a true D1 FCS game at home. I think they will have probably played about 8 D1 games on the road before they get their first shot at home. Excluding UND which is kind of in the same boat as the Yotes.

and yes Jacks fans road games do count, but so do home games. I think 2009 is going to be a fun year where we will really get to see what the Yotes are all about. That's when we will finally starting seeing an even amount of road vs home.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                    The Yotes don't beat good D2 teams on the road either so nothing has changed in that aspect, except when it really counted in the playoffs. It will be nice once USD get a true D1 FCS game at home. I think they will have probably played about 8 D1 games on the road before they get their first shot at home. Excluding UND which is kind of in the same boat as the Yotes.

and yes Jacks fans road games do count, but so do home games. I think 2009 is going to be a fun year where we will really get to see what the Yotes are all about. That's when we will finally starting seeing an even amount of road vs home.
                    I think USD will beat Southeastern Louisiana this week on the road. Shepard is a good QB, and their defense must be playing pretty well. Sorry that's not smack, but you have to give credit where credit is due.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      I'll give USD credit for playing well in this one. I expected a blowout, but they hung in there tough and really played well on offense. They did gain some respect tonight by playing a very good FCS team close. You can't take that away from them no matter how annoying CF is with his "d2 = fcs" baloney.

Of course no sign of Yote 53 who had us getting b...slapped by Youngstown who we beat 40-7. 500 yards of offense to 200. That's against the #14 team in the country. 1-0 in the MVFC, a real conference (by CF's definition).

Will we get respect from CF or Yote 53? Nope.
                      I do have to say that Youngstown will not be ranked at the end of the year. I talked to a guy from Youngstown and he said that they've lost 48 players over the last 2 years to graduation. It was 22 one year and 26 the other. That's a lot of players to lose. They only had 2 seniors start on defense. SDSU only had 2 seniors start on defense, too. That doesn't mean that their young players can't play but 3 of their DL started their 1st game against OSU. I guess if you look at it 4 of SDSU's 2-deep on defense(22 players) are seniors. That's a young D.
                      Youngstown played 3 QB's. At 1 point they had a player listed as a WR playing QB. I think they run the ball every time he lined up at QB. Things like that won't work against most team in our conference.
                      Just because of tradition doesn't mean Youngstown will be ranked at the end of this year.
                      My opinion!
                      USD played better than I thought they would. I'll wait and see how they do through the whole season before I judge them. I won't be by W's and L's because of the "weak" games but how they do against FCS teams.

Comment

Agree with your thoughts, 91Jack, on both Youngstown and USD. Rep points for you.

Comment

24-13 was the final and honestly I am proud of the effort USD gave today. A few too many penalties and untimely turnovers. It seems like the possession time and yardage was near equal. This was far from a one sided game and one that backs my theory that the top level of D2 isn't far behind D1 FCS let alone the top tier of FCS. I can't say for sure that USD would even be a top 20 D2 team this year. They may but may not. USD played UNI just as tough as the Jacks have done. Now lets get UNI to come to the thunder dome.
                          Well I see that USD had 5 false starts. That is what happens when you play in front of 12,904 people. USD probably has never played in front of that many people in a dome since NDSU was still in the NCC. You would think with the Dakota Dump selling out for every USD game that they would be use to playing in front of a lot of people. Of course, if USD is padding their attendance figures then I can see why they had so many false starts on the road.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                            Well I see that USD had 5 false starts. That is what happens when you play in front of 12,904 people. USD probably has never played in front of that many people in a dome since NDSU was still in the NCC. You would think with the Dakota Dump selling out for every USD game that they would be use to playing in front of a lot of people. Of course, if USD is padding their attendance figures then I can see why they had so many false starts on the road.
                            I'm not trying to defend USD but normally the home crowd it quiet when their team is on offense.
                            I think USD pads their attendance but I guess if that makes them feel better so be it. I would think most people would look at tickets SOLD when they really look at attendance. Those numbers came out and really didn't match with USD's attendance figures.

Comment

24-13 was the final and honestly I am proud of the effort USD gave today. A few too many penalties and untimely turnovers. It seems like the possession time and yardage was near equal. This was far from a one sided game and one that backs my theory that the top level of D2 isn't far behind D1 FCS let alone the top tier of FCS. I can't say for sure that USD would even be a top 20 D2 team this year. They may but may not. USD played UNI just as tough as the Jacks have done. Now lets get UNI to come to the thunder dome.
                              Coyote_Fan,

I am happy for you that your pleased with a loss. Get use to it! I can assure you having watched Dll football for many years that average FCS teams are better than good Dll teams. I can also promise you that UNI did not show the entire offense or defense against USD. Why would they and show the balance of the Valley conference what they are all about. Non conference games are important to win but you don't show your hole cards. UNI will be a different team when conference rolls around. To many penalties and turnovers DA! I have yet to witness a timely turnover.

Go big, go blue, go JACKS

Comment

All smack aside, USD hasn't done anything yet. The only way the 24-13 loss was positive is if they turn that into an actual win against a true FCS opponent. We had a lot of close losses our first season and a big blowout by UC Davis. However, we turned those into wins and built from our close losses. We are now an established FCS team to beat. USD is a long ways from there. A close loss at UNI is the first step. They have to back that up with an actual victory against a D1 opponent. When we were blown out by Davis, we were able to make a positive out of winning at Southern - a huge win at that time. I'm reserving judgment on how good they actually are until I see how they do at Montana St (who is down this year).
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X