Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance Has Been A Success???

Originally posted by filbert
    I can't buy the argument that Moeller was somehow ineligible this year.  One of the few rational arguments for the inexcusably long transitional period is exactly to not penalize players for the rule differences between the divisions.  In any event, I believe that technically, SDSU is still an NCAA D-II school in year 1 of the D-I transition this year, and is not officially a D-I school.  Certainly not all D-I rules yet apply.
    Basically what rabbit4life said was that medical redshirts given under D2 do not apply under D1. I am not the compliance officer, so not up on the rules, but if rabbit4life comment is correct, I would not be too surprised.  Granted we have d2 refs and our attendence is maintained as D2, but maybe it has to do with the time span allowed under D2 as opposed to D1.

I tried to find some info on the NCAA site and did not have any luck.

Comment

The reason Moeller left is to get another chance at winning a D2 National Championship. I'm sure coming into college basketball, that was his dream, to someday be a National Champion. Thereore, when we moved to D1, that chance got taken away from him. Hence, he moved to a great team with a good shot at winning the whole thing. And with Andy's help, they probably will. Good luck Andy!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the board jackbacker, thanks for posting!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackbacker
          The reason Moeller left is to get another chance at winning a D2 National Championship.  I'm sure coming into college basketball, that was his dream, to someday be a National Champion.  Thereore, when we moved to D1, that chance got taken away from him.  Hence, he moved to a great team with a good shot at winning the whole thing.  And with Andy's help, they probably will.  Good luck Andy!!!!
          Bit of a reach here. They have excellent talent but haven't played togther very long and haven't really been tested. I think they'll make a good showing but won't get out of the regional.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Bit of a reach here.  They have excellent talent but haven't played togther very long and haven't really been tested.  I think they'll make a good showing but won't get out of the regional.
            If Metro. is anywhere near as good as last year then I don't see any of the NCC teams getting by them. I hope I'm wrong, I would love to see an NCC team go the Elite 8, but in order for that to happen Metro will have needed to have gotten worse. Do any of you State fans remember if they had very many seniors last year?

Comment

I am new to the posting but have been regularly reading the responses.  I have been a supporter of all SD athletics and all SD colleges for some time.  I felt compelled to respond to these posts saying that Moeller would have been ineligible to play DI.  This is out rigt nonsense.  First of all, if he was eligible to play DII, he is eligible to play DI.  Basically the only differences between the two is the graduation status of Juco kids and the running five year clock, none of which apply to Moeller.  Furthermore, there is posts stating he would have transferred even if SDSU stayed DII.  This is nonsense as well because he would have run out of eligibility.  The NCC requires a transfer within the conference to sit out for one year.  Since, Moeller used his redshirt year at State, he would run out of semesters of eligibility sitting out at Mankato.  Although some may question Margenthaler, he is not that idiotic to waste a scholarship on a kid that would never be eligible.  Although some may not believe this or want to hear this, this is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by sfgrad
                Basically the only differences between the two is the graduation status of Juco kids and the running five year clock, none of which apply to Moeller.  Furthermore, there is posts stating he would have transferred even if SDSU stayed DII.  This is nonsense as well because he would have run out of eligibility.  The NCC requires a transfer within the conference to sit out for one year.  Since, Moeller used his redshirt year at State, he would run out of semesters of eligibility sitting out at Mankato.
                It's actually a running 6 year clock, not 5. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to take both a redshirt and a medical redshirt in your college career. But I agree, I do think that Moeller would have been eligible at State, had he stayed. If not, we would have heard it from somewhere other than this chat board.

Comment

Did Moeller take a fresman redshirt and medical redshirt? If so then the rules regarding eligibility are different between the two division. NDSU has an offensive lineman who was denied a sixth year by the NCAA, but could have played under DII rules.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                    It's actually a running 6 year clock, not 5. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to take both a redshirt and a medical redshirt in your college career. But I agree, I do think that Moeller would have been eligible at State, had he stayed. If not, we would have heard it from somewhere other than this chat board.

Actually, I believe it's based on semesters.  I was redshirted and hardshipped.  Had I chose to play my final semester of eligibility of football I would have had to be off the football team during spring semester.  I also would have on my own financially for that spring semester.  I believe each player is awarded 8 semesters of eligibility plus 1 redshirt semester and 1 possible hardship semester.  That's not from the official NCAA rules, but experience as how it was explained to me when I was going through it.  Anyone know for sure?
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I guess this thread has turned into a NCAA rules thread. Personally I believe Moeller was eligible to play this year at SD State. My point was he was going to transfer regardless of the D1 move. I think there were issues and he wanted a new home.
                      IMO- If SDSU was D2 Andy would still be at Minnesota St. this season. It just was a convienant reason to transfer.

Comment

Doesn't matter what might have happened it only matters what did.  Andy plays for Coach M. in Mankato and has a shot at some continued D2 success.  As for us, we need some guard help before the first tip of the 2005-06 season.  Time to look forward, not back.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I understand I am new to the board but I wish you would listen to me. I know what I am talking about. As a student athlete in a d1 or d2 school, you are granted TEN semesters of eligibility. The difference being in d1, those ten semesters must be played consecutively, hence a running clock (exceptions for pregnancy and mormon missions). A medical redshirt year may be granted a student athlete from the NCAA. This extra year replaces two of the ten semesters granted each athlete. All medical redshirts are granted based on a criteria. In bball, it is being injured and not able to play in 20% of the teams games. Do not mean to ruffle feathers with the knowledge, just want everyone to know the rules.

Comment

SF Grad,
                            I BELIEVE YOU

Comment

Why not look it up and read for yourselves??  ???

I'll even help you guys out with the proper section-
                              14.2 SEASONS OF COMPETITION: FIVE-YEAR RULE
                              Look it up here- (page 149)2004-2005 NCAA DI Manual

It's a pretty big file, but a very handy reference.

Comment

Originally posted by sfgrad
                                I understand I am new to the board but I wish you would listen to me.  I know what I am talking about.  As a student athlete in a d1 or d2 school, you are granted TEN semesters of eligibility.  The difference being in d1, those ten semesters must be played consecutively, hence a running clock (exceptions for pregnancy and mormon missions).  A medical redshirt year may be granted a student athlete from the NCAA.  This extra year replaces two of the ten semesters granted each athlete.  All medical redshirts are granted based on a criteria.  In bball, it is being injured and not able to play in 20% of the teams games.  Do not mean to ruffle feathers with the knowledge, just want everyone to know the rules.

You are granted 10 semester of eligibility, that would mean you could play for 5 years. I think you mean you have 10 semesters to use your eligibility.
                                Plus you can't play in more than 20% of the games to get a medical redshirt--not the other way around like you explained it.

Comment

Working...
                                X