Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs USD

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    Congrats on surviving your game with Winona St.  We beat them by 11 this season.   SDSU 70 - Winona St. 59  ;D

South Dakota gains final by edging Winona State

Minneapolis Star Tribune

Turner Trofholz (19 points) and Luke Tibbetts (17) led South Dakota to a 73-68 victory over Winona State.  .  .

Go State, South Dakota's ONLY D-I University!  8)
    Keep living off that Winona win. Hopefully it will make you forget your drubbings to Southwest St., the two Wayne State's, and Morningside.

I'm pretty worried about Metro. I saw what they did to you guys last year, I sure hope the same thing doesn't happen to us. I can't ever see a Dave Boots team getting beat by 40points, but Metro is awful tough on their court. Now that Anderson is hurt we are down to 6 players that actually play. Hopefully we can avoid foul trouble. The RMAC has kind of dominated the region lately, hopefully USD can change that. I wish this game would have been in Omaha.

Comment

The Winona game means little to us now.  It's our three D-I wins last season that make me smile.  Reason being, I know they were just the beginning.  As Timbuk 3 sang "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"  8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

USD and SDSU went head to head in track and field last Saturday in Wayne NE.
        Results can be found at
        http://www.usdcoyotes.com/releases/a...21819743-1.htm
        and
        http://www.usdcoyotes.com/releases/a...21819743-2.htm

New Coach DeHaven has a lot of work to do to bring SDSU track and field back to it's former prominence. Ever since Fred fired Scott Underwood the program has struggled

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
          USD and SDSU went head to head in track and field last Saturday in Wayne NE.
          Results can be found at
          http://www.usdcoyotes.com/releases/a...21819743-1.htm
          and
          http://www.usdcoyotes.com/releases/a...21819743-2.htm

New Coach DeHaven has a lot of work to do to bring SDSU track and field back to it's former prominence. Ever since Fred fired Scott Underwood the program has struggled
          Thanks for the updates USDSPORTSFAN. Now, back to lurking in the shadows until you can bring some more negativity. Get a life. Popping in on this forum and ripping our recruits, programs and conference aspirations. How noble you are.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The anticipated 2005 Coyote Football Schedule is out.South Dakota Football Team Announces Football Schedule That Includes Three Playoff Teams and Two League Champions

2005 Coyote Football Schedule
            Thursday, August 25 – at Minnesota-Crookston, Nonconference, Season Opener, Ed Witseth, Field, Crookston, Minn., 7 p.m.
            UM-Crookston had a 2-8 record, finishing 2-5 for sixth in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference a year ago. UM-Crookston was 0-3 vs. NCC teams a year ago and, aside from USD, play NCC member St. Cloud State on Sept. 3 and Augustana on Sept. 17 in 2005. This will be the first meeting between USD and UM-Crookston.

Sept. 3 – Truman State, Nonconference, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            Truman State had a 2-9 record in 2004. After opening the season with an 0-7 record, the Bulldogs finished with two straight wins, outscoring opponents 63-33. Truman State nearly defeated playoff participant Northwest Missouri State, dropping a 45-42 decision in week eight. South Dakota improved its series record vs. Truman State to 9-1 with a 49-22 over Truman State on August 28 in the Coyotes' season opener last season.

Sept. 10 – Minnesota State, Moorhead, Nonconference, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            USD defeated MSU-Moorhead, 51-3, at the DakotaDome a year ago in week three. It was the first-ever meeting between the schools. MSU Moorhead finished 0-11, 0-7 for eighth in the NSIC.

Sept. 17 – at Colorado School of Mines, Brooks Field, Golden, Colo., 1 p.m. (MST)
            South Dakota will meet Colorado School of Mines for the first time. A year ago, Colorado-Mines finished with an 12-1 record and won the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Conference with an 8-0 mark. Colorado Mines advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II playoffs a year ago, dropping a 70-35 decision to Pittsburg State.

Sept. 24 – Nebraska-Omaha, NCC home opener, Hall of Fame Day, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            Nebraska-Omaha won the NCC in 2004, finishing with a 5-1 record in the league and 8-3 overall. UNO defeated USD, 20-13, in week five at Omaha, Neb., a year ago. USD owns a 23-21-1 overall series advantage over the Mavericks.

Oct. 1 – at Augustana, NCC road opener, Howard Wood Field, Sioux Falls, S.D., 1 p.m.
            South Dakota defeated Augustana, 23-0, on Dakota Day at the DakotaDome in 2004. USD owns a 41-19 overall series advantage and have won three straight games over the Vikings. Augustana was 3-8 overall and 0-6 for seventh in the NCC a year ago.

Oct. 8 – Minnesota State, Mankato, NCC game, Dakota Day, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            South Dakota rallied for a 30-23 win over Minnesota-State, Mankato, at Mankato, Minn., in week seven in 2004. A year ago, Minnesota State had a 6-5 record, including 3-3 for fifth place in the NCC. USD leads the overall series, 17-11, and have won two straight over the Mavericks.

Oct. 15 – at St. Cloud State, NCC, Husky Stadium, St. Cloud, Minn, 1 p.m.
            A year ago, USD defeated St. Cloud State, 37-21, at the DakotaDome in week eight. In 2004, the Coyotes ended a three-game losing streak vs. the Huskies, which now leads the overall series with USD, 14-9. St. Cloud State finished 2004 with an 8-3 record, including 4-2 and a tie for second in the NCC (South Dakota, North Dakota). St. Cloud State advanced to the post-season playoffs where they lost a 20-17 double overtime game with North Dakota.

Oct. 22 – Upper Iowa, Nonconference, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            A year ago, USD took a 45-12 nonconference decision over Upper Iowa at Griggs Field in Fayette, Iowa. It was the first-ever meeting between the schools. Upper Iowa finished 2-8 a year ago in its first season in Division II.

Oct. 29 – at Minnesota-Duluth NCC, Griggs Field, Duluth, Minn., 1 p.m.
            South Dakota captured a 48-21 decision over Minnesota-Duluth at the DakotaDome. It was UMD’s first season in the NCC. The overall series between the schools is tied 2-2. UMD finished 4-7 and 1-5 for sixth in the NCC in 2004.

Nov. 5 – North Dakota, NCC, DakotaDome, 2 p.m.
            A year ago, North Dakota took a 41-21 decision over South Dakota in week 11. North Dakota finished 9-2 overall and 4-2 for a second-place tie (South Dakota and St. Cloud State) in the NCC. North Dakota were selected to the NCAA Division II playoffs, where UND lost in the semifinals to Pittsburg State, 31-19. UND owns a 55-27-5 overall series advantage vs. USD.

Comment

Let me try my hand at some math. Their non-conference opponents finished a combined 18-37, 12 of those wins by one school. Which one will be dubbed the Cupcake Bowl?
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

If USD doesn't go at least 8-3 with that schedule, it would be a failure. The current coach must be chomping at the bit to get out of the prior idiotic scheduling agreements because that schedule is horrible. I could realistically see them going 9-2 and missing the playoffs again with that schedule.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

DIAA feels pretty good when you look at that schedule!

Comment

I can only figure that USD must have had a hard time filling the schedule when SDSU and NDSU departed, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't do any better than that. SDSU and every school has had the occasional UW-Stout and SD Tech as their opening day "pre-season" game, but to have 4 of them in one year is inexusable. Like last year, if USD fails to make the playoffs with a good record they only have themselves to blame.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Upper Iowa and USD are expected to be traveling partners in the new NSIC. This is the beginning of a long love affair between USD and UUI. Its really not that far-fetched if you think about it.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[glb]usdII[/glb] has always scheduled a bunch of weaker schools on the front end of their schedules. They like the press they get when they go "undefeated" before the conference starts. They start out looking like they really have a team "this year." Then in the conference (in years past) they drop to the middle of the pack.

I will say that last year without SDSU, NDSU and UNC they did have fewer losses than usual. I don't think it had anything to do with the quality of their team. It had more to do with the quality of their competition. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                          I can only figure that USD must have had a hard time filling the schedule when SDSU and NDSU departed, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't do any better than that.  SDSU and every school has had the occasional UW-Stout and SD Tech as their opening day "pre-season" game, but to have 4 of them in one year is inexusable.  
                          Now we are going to take 12-1 teams and call them cupcakes. :
                          I do wish we were playing tougher teams in the pre conference schedule than Crookston and Truman St. But I wouldn't be so hard on those teams if I was you. They are to DII what you guys are to DI. If University of Nebraska was ever to schedule SDSU and NDSU everybody would be talking about their embarrassing preconference schedule. In fact they are catching $hit for scheduling both of you guys in baseball. You are one of those teams that are embarrassing to schedule for the big dogs. I guess I rather play a few crappy teams, than be one of the crappy teams.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Now we are going to take 12-1 teams and call them cupcakes. :
                            I do wish we were playing tougher teams in the pre conference schedule than Crookston and Truman St.  But I wouldn't be so hard on those teams if I was you.  They are to DII what you guys are to DI.  If University of Nebraska was ever to schedule SDSU and NDSU everybody would be talking about their embarrassing preconference schedule.  In fact they are catching $hit for scheduling both of you guys in baseball.  You are one of those teams that are embarrassing to schedule for the big dogs.  I guess I rather play a few crappy teams, than be one of the crappy teams.
                            Upper Iowa: 2-8
                            Moorehead: 0-11
                            Truman St: 2-9
                            Crookston: 2-8

By my count that's four teams that can claim 6 wins total. I bet if you dug into those wins, 2/3 of them would be against DIII or NAIA competition. That's what I meant by cupcakes.

And, we're not in the same division as Nebraska in football. We're D1-AA and were 6-5 last year. Hardly one of the crappy teams. Also, in all of our years of DII, we never had a schedule as laughable as that. While USD was scheduling Northern and sisters of the blind, we were playing Cal Davis and Northwest Missouris State and Grand Valley State. There's other options out there, USD just didn't want to play them.

Comment

We were 6-5 last year with one of the toughest schedules in all of DI AA. Spare us your schedule comparisons.

Comment

Even if USD waltzes through that joke of a schedule I see the Coyotes continue you to struggle keeping everyone but the hard core fans interested in what's happening in Vermillion. Meanwhile the Jacks will be playing 6 home DIAA games against worthy opponents. In our second year of competition I'm sensing the gap of talent and interest widening between SDSU and USD.

Comment

Working...
                                X