Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs USD

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
    FYI, since 1990 the Jacks hold a 11-3 record vs. the U in football.  With losses in 1993, 97, and 2000.  Overall, USD leads the series.
    In men's BB SDSU holds a 114-87 overall record against USD.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Since we have been talking back to the good ol' days of the NCC I thought I'd post this again.

SDSU men awarded NCC all-sports title 11 times including 4 of their last 5 years in the NCC. NDSU second with 8 titles. USD ZERO.

Men’s All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa,
      1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St.,
      1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota
      St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North
      Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South
      Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota
      State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

As for the women, SDSU 4 titles and again USD ZERO.

Women’s All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota
      State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State,
      1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State,
      1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00
      North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Its not bad to come in behind SDSU, USD is use to that. Trailing everyone else kind of sucks though. Its clear that SDSU had the premier athletic program in what was a premier conference in DII. Just as clear, USD is a below average athletic program in what was a premier DII conference. Just the facts, Jack.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

As the saying goes, "it sucks to be U."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          Since we have been talking back to the good ol' days of the NCC I thought I'd post this again.

SDSU men awarded NCC all-sports title 11 times including 4 of their last 5 years in the NCC.  NDSU second with 8 titles.  USD ZERO.

Men’s All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa,
          1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St.,
          1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota
          St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North
          Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South
          Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota
          State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

As for the women, SDSU 4 titles and again USD ZERO.

Women’s All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota
          State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State,
          1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State,
          1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00
          North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Its not bad to come in behind SDSU, USD is use to that.  Trailing everyone else kind of sucks though.  Its clear that SDSU had the premier athletic program in what was a premier conference in DII.  Just as clear, USD is a below average athletic program in what was a premier DII conference.  Just the facts, Jack.
          In SDSU's last year in the conference they finished 5th place in the North Central Conference Cup, while USD placed 2nd, just behind NDSU. USD's women, who some on this board have referred to as second class citizens, placed 3rd among the women, while SDSU's women placed 6th in the conference. USD athletics are on the rise.

Comment

It's usd that treats its womens athletics as second class

can u say TITLE IX voilations??

Comment

Buff...

I can't see the argument for USD sports being on the rise. A single second place finish and it has you raving? The important part of the All Sports Title arugment was the concept of ZERO (which, I believe is why it was bolded). USD has NEVER taken the title back to Vermillion. Never.

Now that the competitive environment is watered down like an airport whisky, I would expect USD to start doing better. But, as far as USD is concerned, the initials NCC stand for something else... NEVER CAME CLOSE.

8) 8)

Comment

sports--buff, you are so young.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

USD's administration tried to keep students from wearing the Beat State...Not Your Wife t-shirts, but they were threatened with lawsuits.  There were people who were threatening lawsuits all over the place for violating people's freedom of speech.  So instead the administration passed out free t-shirts to all the students and tried to get people to wear those.  I don't know what more you wanted USD's administration to do to cover up the embarrassment that your administration caused.
                  It was just part of a rivalry anyway.  If you rather have a rivalry where both schools kiss each other's butt then you will enjoy your new rivalry with NDSU a lot more.
                  I am not going to agree with you. Rivals don't have to hate each other. They have to compete with each other and share respect. USD failed to do either.

As for freedom of speech lawsuits...well, one of those case studies I did in Mass Comm law is finally paying off.

In Pyle v. South Hadley Sch. Comm. (1994), a federal court in Massachusetts held that a school did have the right to prevent students from wearing T-shirts containing sexual material and vulgar speech. The restrictions did not violate the students' First Amendment rights even if there was no immediate threat of disruption as a result of the shirts. Schools can also prohibit students from wearing clothing that school officials consider offensive, intimidating, or threatening. A school can prohibit clothing that some would consider offensive, intimidating, or threatening if the school reasonably believed that a "substantial and material disruption" would result.

It is not illegal to tell students that if they wear offensive clothing, they aren't going to be permitted into the game. It paralells to someone cursing in the stands -their "free speech" isn't protected if they contiually cause a disturbance. If USD official crumbled at the though of lawsuits on the matter, then I seriously doubt their identity as a Law School.

And...I was at that double header in Vermillion, I didn't see anyone handing out t-shirts.

And, I do think NDSU will be a better rivalry. I had a few conversations with NDSU fans at the Dakota Marker game, and it sounds like we have alot in common - apparently UND has the little brother complex in North Dakota, and resorts to childish tactics that aren't in the interest of sportsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02

I am not going to agree with you. Rivals don't have to hate each other. They have to compete with each other and share respect. USD failed to do either.

As for freedom of speech lawsuits...well, one of those case studies I did in Mass Comm law is finally paying off.  

In Pyle v. South Hadley Sch. Comm. (1994), a federal court in Massachusetts held that a school did have the right to prevent students from wearing T-shirts containing sexual material and vulgar speech. The restrictions did not violate the students' First Amendment rights even if there was no immediate threat of disruption as a result of the shirts. Schools can also prohibit students from wearing clothing that school officials consider offensive, intimidating, or threatening. A school can prohibit clothing that some would consider offensive, intimidating, or threatening if the school reasonably believed that a "substantial and material disruption" would result.

It is not illegal to tell students that if they wear offensive clothing, they aren't going to be permitted into the game. It paralells to someone cursing in the stands -their "free speech" isn't protected if they contiually cause a disturbance. If USD official crumbled at the though of lawsuits on the matter, then I seriously doubt their identity as a Law School.

And...I was at that double header in Vermillion, I didn't see anyone handing out t-shirts.

And, I do think NDSU will be a better rivalry. I had a few conversations with NDSU fans at the Dakota Marker game, and it sounds like we have alot in common - apparently UND has the little brother complex in North Dakota, and resorts to childish tactics that aren't in the interest of sportsmanship.
                    Were you wearing a Beat State shirt? Probably not, thats why you didn't get a free t-shirt, they were being passed out to the students. Besides, whats so offensive about saying you should channel your aggression through athletic contests and not through spousal abuse. Part of the proceeds of the shirts went to charity.
                    When USD gets sued and loses for firing a volleyball coach after losing 47 straight NCC games, I would think a lawsuit would make them a little nervous.
                    Do you call Osama Bin Mueller flyers respectful? Do you call reading newspapers during the opponents starting lineups, respectful. There is a lot that both schools did that weren't respectful. The only difference is USD didn't cry about it and they understood that it's all part of a good rivalry.

Comment

Buff...

I can't see the argument for USD sports being on the rise. A single second place finish and it has you raving? The important part of the All Sports Title arugment was the concept of ZERO (which, I believe is why it was bolded). USD has NEVER taken the title back to Vermillion. Never.

Now that the competitive environment is watered down like an airport whisky, I would expect USD to start doing better. But, as far as USD is concerned, the initials NCC stand for something else... NEVER CAME CLOSE.

8) 8)
                      Your last year in DII we had better athletics than you. I'm just trying to stay recent here. If you want to go way back in history then you can stop saying our football team sucks, because we won the all time series.

And by the way, saying USD athletics is on the rise isn't exactly raving.

Comment

Your last year in DII we had better athletics than you.  I'm just trying to stay recent here. If you want to go way back in history then you can stop saying our football team sucks, because we won the all time series.

And by the way, saying USD athletics is on the rise isn't exactly raving.
                        College sports isn't about one year. College sports is about a tradition of excellence. And when we're talking about PROGRAMS, USD needs a high chair to eat at the table with SDSU - and any comment to the contrary is said with more spirit than rationale.

And you can say USD athletics is on the rise. They have to gain ground now that their main competition has owned up to the challenge of Division I. Being gererous, USD is still the 3rd best program left in the dilapidated NCC.

I never said your football team sucks. And I don't think your basketball team sucks. And I don't think your tracksters suck. You guys are doing well...for a Division II team.

I never thought USD was on the same level as SDSU. And now we have the NCAA classificiation to prove it.

Comment

I never thought USD was on the same level as SDSU. And now we have the NCAA classificiation to prove it.

I know that you don't really think just being called DI means you are better than all DII schools. Your men's basketball team proved that this year. Your men's basketball team could have also proven it the last 10 years, had they played some of the DI teams they did this year. Had you played the same schedule in your hey day you would have had a pretty good record, even though you were DII, the same could be said for your women.

Comment

I know that you don't really think just being called DI means you are better than all DII schools.  Your men's basketball team proved that this year.  Your men's basketball team could have also proven it the last 10 years, had they played some of the DI teams they did this year.  Had you played the same schedule in your hey day you would have had a pretty good record, even though you were DII, the same could be said for your women.
                            Yes being D1 is better than being D2, thats why we have the divisions and numbers. Crow all you want about this year, its next year and the following years that will get the print in the Argus.

Comment

I was just posting the facts biff, nothing more. Didn't even expect a reply really.

Good luck to the Yotes in Denver, I assume?

Comment

Congrats on surviving your game with Winona St.  We beat them by 11 this season. SDSU 70 - Winona St. 59  ;D

South Dakota gains final by edging Winona State

Minneapolis Star Tribune

Turner Trofholz (19 points) and Luke Tibbetts (17) led South Dakota to a 73-68 victory over Winona State.  .  .

Go State, South Dakota's ONLY D-I University!  8)

Comment

Working...
                                X