No. 15 For Mav 1 (aka-MavD2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No. 15 For Mav 1 (aka-MavD2)

I will chime in on this topic. It is fair to say that most on this board are saying there is a significant difference between D2 and D1AA. My biggest question would be if that were true you would think that any D2 teams making the jump to D1AA would struggle for at least a few years to get use the superior talent level. Most of the D2 teams that made the jump have been very competive with the new division and have been pretty much within the first year or two after the jump. If I recall the great west has many of their teams that are new to D1AA but they have done quite well against the Big Sky conference which is an established D1AA conference. If your argument hold merit of D1AA being significantly better it's just not reasonable for a D2 team to make the jump to 1AA and be competitive right away. It just makes no sence. What that is saying is the the NCC as a conference is at the 1AA level or if not are very, very close.

SDSU has done very little to improve their team since they made the jump. Just a few more scholarships and the same coach that they had when they were an average NCC team. I think most of you would agree that SDSU is really not any better (or at least not much more) than when they left divison 2.

USD on the otherhand is heads and shoulders better than they were 2 years ago when the last time they played SDSU. Even in that game aside from the two long touchdown passes the game was a virtual draw. But as we know those TD's make the game so it is a pathetic excuse but you get my point. The last time USD had a semi good team was the year 2000 when they went 8-3 under John Austin. That team isn't of the caliber of the current USD team but they won fairly easily up at Coughlin Alumni that year.

Isn't it fair to say that some of the upper D2 teams have alot of D1 talent on their rosters. Maybe not the depth of talent but good talent none the less. Logan, Beshorner, Gearman and many of the lineman on the offfensive line are of D1 caliber. UNO has one of the better D2 defenses and didn't slow the Coyote offense down barely at all. USD has never been able to do that to other NCC teams in the past. This year they are so far. The top 4 in the NCC are every bit as good this year as they have been when the NCC was still an intact 10 teams league.

When you had Ranek on your team I would bet that if you polled your fans that year that at least 80% of them would have considered him not only a D1 caliber player but a good one at that. Unfortunately the defense couldn't put it together for you the same years or you could have been a major title contender those years.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that this USD team is at least as good as the SDSU team that left D2? This USD team is doing some things that SDSU never did anytime in their recent NCC past. So if SDSU could make the jump as an average NCC team wouldn't it be fair to say that USD as the top 1 or 2 NCC teams would have as good of a chance as SDSU has had to be competitive in D1AA. SDSU as a mediocre team in the 90's should have beaten Montana on the road when they were at the top of the D1AA mountain. Only a miraculous comeback prevented an SDSU win that day. NDSU did win as an average to above average NCC team just a couple of years ago. We are talking about a lower division team going into an upper echelon D1AA team and being competive. Imagine if those D1AA teams had returned the favor and played on the NCC teams home field. I think NCC teams would pick up a few wins in those instances.

I am fine if you think that SDSU is better than USD but don't just use the D1AA label as a reason because that doesn't necessarily and hasn't previously always been the telling tale. If some of you want to make fun of USD for barely beating Mines in a tough situation on the road at high altitude with a team that hadn't yet had to play a 4 quarter game then what is your excuse when SDSU lost out at Chadron not all that long ago?

Instead of using generalizations as to why SDSU would win it would be nice to hear what SDSU has done this year to make you think they would beat USD who is on caliber with some of the teams you are currently playing and I don't mean LaCross. If USD is good enough to embarass UNO than they are good enough to at least slightly edge out SDSU. Because not too long ago SDSU was losing to the same basic UNO team with basically the same players and same coaches. Don't tell me that this SDSU team is heads and shoulders above the team from 2 years ago because it's just not true.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Yeah you are right USD is so superior. Why dont you enjoy your success as a coyote fan while you can. What goes up will come down.

Well the way to prove your points would be to help your alma mater out financially so that the move to D1AA could be made. You have to put your money where your mouth is. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
        I will chime in on this topic.  It is fair to say that most on this board are saying there is a significant difference between D2 and D1AA.  My biggest question would be if that were true you would think that any D2 teams making the jump to D1AA would struggle for at least a few years to get use the superior talent level.           

If SDSU as you say has done very little since moving to D1AA, then I would agree there is a struggle to make our program better. Perhaps then there is a big difference between D1AA and D2.  It does not matter what SDSU does on the field. It will be minimized no matter how great the win may be or maximized when its a disaster defeat by USD faithful. Its called jealousy, plain and simple.

Regarding the close win with Colo Mines, I have this to say.  We could make the same arguement about weather in the Texas State game. It was 90 degrees and humid at game time. I dont think it was weather though that lost the game. It was the overall talent of Texas State. Talent that would embarrass QB beachcomber and crew at USD.

Coyote Fan, I invite you to become the next coach at SDSU.  You got it all down. Youshould know how to coach better than Stig since he is so awful and mediocare.

Comment

Coyote_Fan,

You sure wrote a lot, but you ingnored the fact that your success is built against teams with a .323% winning percentage.  The Coyotes are better then they were two years ago, but your schedule has also been dumbed down from 2 years ago.  Instead of facing UNC, NDSU, and SDSU, now you are playing Truman St., Minn. Crookston, Minn. St. Moorehead.  You can gloss over your recent struggles with UW-La Crosse and this years OT win over Colorado Mines, (who was killed by I-AA UNC) but it dosen't change the fact that you have beaten one team with a winning record and now, in your mind, you are world beaters.   :

I will say it again,  I am glad that USD is having a good season and representing South Dakota well in D-II, but let's try and keep some prospective.  I am sure somewhere there are University of Sioux Falls fans saying that they would beat the stuffings out of USD if they only had the chance to play them.  After all the Cougars are undefeated and ranked higher in their poll then the Yotes are in theirs, and USD only has a few more scholarships then they do.   Thus my point that USF the NAIA school thinks they can beat USD and USD the D-II school thinks they can beat SDSU.  It is kinda cute when the little schools think they can step up a class and win because they are beating the schools from their class (and in USD's case bad teams from their class).  Both assertions seem equally hollow to me, but I wish both schools well.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Coyote Fan:

I think you make some excellent points in your well-thought out post. However, I think you missed a couple things. You say you don't think SDSU has done anything to get better since we left D2, yet somehow USD has? I'll admit that you're team looks to be the best team USD has put on the field in over 10 years. However, I'm not sure how that shows they did a lot to improve. If SDSU has supposedly done nothing to improve, then I don't know how you can say USD has. It's not a two-way street.

More to the point, is it so beyond your belief that SDSU has indeed become a better team in the past 2 years? 89Rabbit makes several excellent points when frequently arguing against USD. Our team absolutely destroyed a D2 playoff team last year. That same team beat SDSU in a sloppy game during our last year of D2. I think that would show some improvement. On the flip side, USD has had a very, very, very poor schedule the last 2 years. I think all USD supporters will admit to being embarrassed by their schedule. Every USD fan I've talked to has admitted to that (and that includes a ton of die-hard fans and ex-USD jocks). That's not taking away from their achievements, just dillutes them somewhat, especially when they lost against the only strong teams on last year's schedule. This year, USD has yet to be truly tested. UNO was a good football team, but that game was over in the first quarter so I don't know how much of a test that was. It was one of those games where everything fell into place for USD and they steamrolled UNO. Every athlete hopes to be a part of one of those games. However, I think you would agree the true representation of either team cannot be determined by that game. The jury is still out.

As for coaching. Granted, Coach Stig is still here from our D2 days. However, that's about it. The core of a good coaching staff comes from the assistant coaches. SDSU has greatly improved their assistant coaches and you would have a hard time winning any argument to the contrary. Coach Stig is still one of the best recruiters in the country. Ask the old coaches at USD and Augie if you don't believe me. His ability as a recruiter is and was while in the NCC well respected by all of his peers. SDSU rarely lost an in-state athlete to another program in a recruiting battle. That says nothing about his X&O ability, which is stellar (speaking from personal experience).

As for the SDSU/USD game, we'll never really know. Some things that I think I know about the game. SDSU's defense and running game would be the best USD sees all year save perhaps UND's defense which is always top-notch. USD's offense is spectacular, especially the passing game which has long been a weakness for USD. I think it would be a very close game coming down to turnovers. Also, don't discount the mental aspect of the game. SDSU has owned USD for a long time now. That comes into play and anyone who has been a part of the rivalry will agree with me. Another thing, SDSU has been much more battle-tested this season. That would surely come into play. No matter what, it would be fun to watch.

Best of luck to USD. I'd much rather watch them roll into the playoffs than UND or UNO.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Here are just a few comments for C-fan.

If you want to compare the bottom to mid DI-AA (top 50 teams) with the mid to top of D2 (4 years ago this would have included most of the NCC) Then I would agree they are the same.

But from top to bottom to say they are they same is just out there. Just watching the Cal Poly game (they've been DI-AA for 7+ years) and the speed difference is very noticeable. Yes we are able to compete, but even when we play a real sound game with no turnovers we are at a disadvantage on the speed and athletic level.

Also I have no doubt that last years team and likely this years team would have been competing and possibly won the NCC. We had one of the best QB's ever at State last year, with possibly the best backfield combo also. Also the DEF and OFF lines could match up to anyone in D2.

As for the coaching, I respect Stig and his success at DI-AA isn't an accident. He has molded his staff, which has changed greatly the last three years, done very well in recruitment and is a class act.

The only argument I would listen to, is that we are playing up to our new level and have gained from the higher caliber competetion.

All that being said, I think USDII has a really good team and should go far this year, but am curious if they can keep the offensive juggernaut going against some better D's.

Comment

alot of good points be tossed around.

SDSU rarely lost an in-state athlete to another program in a recruiting battle.  That says nothing about his X&O ability, which is stellar (speaking from personal experience).
                Here are two great players at NDSU that got out of Stig's front and backyard.  SDSU doesnt lose many but these guys would have made a great improvement to our running game.  Both of these guys grew up watching saturday FB at CAS and still left.

Justin Buckwalter  
                # 73  
                Offensive Guard - OG  
                Height:  6-4   Weight:  315  
                Junior  
                Previous Affiliations  
                  Lake Preston HS  
                Lake Preston, S.D.  

Starter at the right offensive guard position over the his last 16 games ... Second team Preseason All-Great West Football Conference ... Great size and good feet ... Working to become more efficient ... Will assume a leadership role ... 2004 SEASON (SOPHOMORE): Started in 11 games at right offensive guard for NDSU ... Part of hard-working frontline who paved the way for the Great West Football Conference's top rushing offense, which averaged 192.4 yards per game and 30.7 points per game overall ... 2003 SEASON (FRESHMAN): Played in 10 games for the Herd on the offensive line, which helped the offensive post 30 points per game ... Made the final five starts of the season ... 2002 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the season as a redshirt in the Bison program ... HIGH SCHOOL: Prepped at Lake Preston High School where he was a four-year starter, a three-time first team all-conference selection, and a two-time first team all-state pick ... Named to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader Elite 45 in South Dakota for two straight years ... Conference MVP as a senior ... Played football for his father, Lake Preston head coach Kurt Buckwalter ... Also competed in basketball and golf ... The first four-time state qualifier in Lake Preston history on the links ...

Tim Popowski
                # 69  
                Offensive Tackle - OT  
                Height:  6-2   Weight:  310  
                Senior  
                Previous Affiliations  
                  Brookings HS  
                Brookings, S.D.  

One of two returning starters on offensive line ... Preseason All-Great West Football Conference first team offense selection by media ... Three-year letterman who has excellent size, strength and toughness ... Displays great consistency ... Worked hard to improve quickness ... Has the potential to be a dominating player ... Natural leader with strong work ethic ... 2004 SEASON (JUNIOR): Started at right tackle in 10 games for NDSU ... Missed game against nationally-ranked Cal Poly due to an injury ... All-GWFC first team offense pick by both the coaches and media ... Honorable mention on CollegeSportsReport.com I-AA All-America team ... Named to Academic All-GWFC squad and ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District second team ... Graded out at 91.1 during the season with 60 pancake blocks ... Bison rushed for 192.4 yards per game and averaged 378.5 yards total offense per game ... Season-high grade of 96% at Weber State (11-6-04) and tied a career best with eight pancake blocks ... North Dakota State led the conference in rushing offense in 2004 ... 2003 SEASON (SOPHOMORE): Played in all 11 games for the NDSU, helping the running offense gain 159.5 yards per game ... The Bison averaged 30.1 points and 355.5 yards of total offense per game ... Graded out at 90.5% and recorded 59 pancakes (5.36 ppg) ... Achieved a career-high grade of 97% and had eight pancake blocks against Augustana College ... Honorable mention to the Academic All-North Central Conference team in 2003 ... 2002 SEASON (FRESHMAN): Became starter at right tackle position after All-American Chuck Klabo went down with an injury ... Started the final five games in helping the Bison to 338 yards and 20 points per game averages ... 2001 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the 2001 season as a redshirt in the Bison grid program ... HIGH SCHOOL: Prepped at Brookings High School where he was a three-year starter and a first team All-State performer for the Class AA South Dakota state champions ... All-conference as both an offensive and defensive lineman ...Team captain and Most Valuable Player... Member of the Sioux Falls Argus Leader's Elite 45 team ... Charted 98 tackles including 10 sacks on defense and had over 60 pancake blocks on offense his senior season ... Also competed in track & field, hockey and baseball ... Qualified for state in both the shot put and discus ...

Comment

As far as Buckhalter and Pops playing for NDSU, both were recruited by NDSU and these guys made their choice.  How is that a reflection on Coach Stig?

They both have helped the Bison, but Pops in the last Bison game I listen too while in ND has been having ankle problems and is not 100 per cent.  

Whether SDSU would have been better or worse without these guys, I really don't know and neither does anyone else.

We can site Wille Jones from Yankton, Preston Crumly from Hartington NE, Paul Kiezar, Hull Ia, all from within 50 miles of USD yet they chose to be a Jack?  Does the reflect on Mieirkort as a recruiter.  If Mierekort was so good as a coach and recruiter, why haven't these guys transferred.

Also if Yankton is in USD's back yard- 26 miles west, why are there two Yankton guys on the NDSU Bison roster?

Comment

I can't argue with a kid who grew up in Brookings or in close proximity who when making a decision on where to go to college want's to put a little distance from home.

Comment

Has SDSU ever got a top high school prospect from Fargo?

That is one of the reasons why NDSU contends, cause they get who they want.  They can go into a rivals territory and steal players.  

I don't know of any brookings and surrounding area athlete's that have walked on at NDSU, the ones that  go to NDSU from the area are scholarship material.  

Comment

USDSU:
                        So what is your point? If you are so scornful and looking down at SDSU's program, what are you doing to help it out? ;D I dont think you are among the SDSU faithful and thats okay. Bringing up Buckhalter and Poposki is pointless. Stig knows how to recruit and with more resources his choices will only get better. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by USDSU
                          Has SDSU ever got a top high school prospect from  Fargo?

That is one of the reasons why NDSU contends, cause they get who they want.  They can go into a rivals territory and steal players.  

I don't know of any brookings and surrounding area athlete's that have walked on at NDSU, the ones that  go to NDSU from the area are scholarship material.  
                          Ted Wahl came from Jamestown. He was a very good quarterback 1986-89.  UND made sure his younger brother did not follow him down to SDSU.  The brother was only about half of what his brother was.

Another blue chipper was Chris Cloquette, from Crookston and not from Fargo or Grand Forks, he was from Crookston, and dont for a second think that UND and NDSU did not have him in their sights and probably made offers.

SDSU seems to have better luck with players in Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska. Why waste resources in a state that has about the same number of athletes and high schools, when you can go elsewhere. UND has come into SD because of Roger Thomas's SD connections including a wife from Bridgewater. Also Dan or Don Lennon, the UND coached was with Stiglmeier when they both coached at Northern. They are still very good friends. These things have influence on individual choices made. Also Popsoski's dad coached with a guy named Bruce Suam, who was on the NDSU coaching staff. All these things come into play. Stig or no other coach can control the athletes and their choices.

BTW Preston Crumley is going to be one great lineman before he is done. He came from Hartington Ne, and dont tell me USD did not try to recruit him. I sure they did.

Comment

I never said anything about Stig's recruiting ability. Just noted that 2 greats got out of his backyard.

Comment

Seems to me the players we have are good enough to beat NDSU 2 of the last 3 years. NDSU's recruiting like SDSU's recruiting has expanded significantly since the move. If you looked at Montana's roster they had a significant number of Montana kids. This is from a state with less population than South Dakota. I think the instate kids there have figured out what it takes to make yourself a DIAA calibre player just like South Dakota kids will.

Comment

SDSU is now DI.

USD is DII.

I think both are, should be, and will continue to be happy. They are different institutions and need to remain that way in order to thrive. A renewed rivalry would be fun but its just not practical at the current time.

All this discussion is therefore irrelevant. Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen, it just means it doesn't matter. Will USD's success entice a few athletes who are good enough to compete at the DI level to settle for DII, sure, can't do anything about that.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X