X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No. 15 For Mav 1 (aka-MavD2)

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

Sportsbluff

If you are so sure there is no difference between DII and DIAA than show up for the Cal Davis/Jacks game on
    Saturday and come back on here and truthfully share your opinion. My guess is you have never seen a IAA game. It's easy for either one of us to say what would happen if SDSU and USD took the field as it's not going to happen. My guess would be a simliar outcome as the last 10 years. Clearly USD has the best team they have had in years, but SDSU who did offer to play USD in Brookings and in Sioux Falls has more talent and would prevail!
    I never said there was no difference, I said the difference is not that big. But you are right when you say it's easy for both of us to say what would happen when they will never meet. Because of that I refrained from posting on the topic for this long, however I was unable to keep silent after 89 posted that on line poll.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

I thought you would have learned your lesson about online polls after the ESPN one from this summer.  Not you are citing these online polls as evidence that SDSU is better. :

For the last decade or so USD has been below average and SDSU has been average.  Now USD is good and SDSU is still average.  The difference between I-AA and DII is not that big.  The top DII teams can certainly beat a good portion of the I-AA teams.  

Buff,

I wasn't using the one day poll (not enough time for USD to set up an automated voting program to rig the outcome)  to prove that SDSU is better then USD.  I was merely pointing out that the respondents knew that there is a difference between I-AA and D-II.  

Is USD good or is their schedule, along with the whole NCC watered down?  I think USD is having a good season and I give you props for the beat down you put on UNO, but lets be honest your schedule is weak.  Only one team on it has a winning record and that is the Mavs.  Here is what the rest look like.

USD's Opponents 2005 records

Minn. Crookston:  0-6

Truman State:  1-5

Minn. St. Moorhead:  0-5

Colorado School of Mines:  3-3

Augie:  3-3

In total (including UNO) your opponents record is 11-23 for a winning percentage of .323%     That is not good.

If I want to demonstrate the difference between D-II and I-AA all I need to do is look back at recent history.

Last year SDSU spanked a D-II playoff qualifier Winona State.  Correct me if I am wrong but USD was not deemed good enough by the NCAA to receive a playoff invitation last season.  Winona State, if you recall, had a fine team last season.  Their only D-II loss came in the playoff to the defending National Champions Grand Valley State.  The final score of that playoff game was GVSU 16 - WSU 13.  Do you remember the Winona St. vs SDSU score?  Just in case you forgot  .  .  .  I-AA SDSU 45 - D-II Winona St. 20.

UW-La Crosse also comes to mind as they are a team that has played some NCC team recently as well as SDSU.  Should we see how those games turned out?

UW-La Crosse 28 - USD 24

UW-La Crosse 34 - Minnesota-Duluth 13
      USD 45 - UW-La Crosse 44

SDSU 42 - UW-La Crosse 13

Again, I am glad that USD is having a good season and representing South Dakota well in D-II, but let's try and keep some prospective.  I am sure somewhere there are University of Sioux Falls fans saying that they would beat the stuffings out of USD if they only had the chance to play them.  After all the Cougars are undefeated and ranked higher in their poll then the Yotes are in theirs.  Both assertions seem equally hollow to me, but I wish both schools well.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Buff,

I wasn't using the one day poll (not enough time for USD to set up an automated voting program to rig the outcome)  to prove that SDSU is better then USD.  I was merely pointing out that the respondents knew that there is a difference between I-AA and D-II.  

Is USD good or is their schedule, along with the whole NCC watered down?  I think USD is having a good season and I give you props for the beat down you put on UNO, but lets be honest your schedule is weak.  Only one team on it has a winning record and that is the Mavs.  Here is what the rest look like.

USD's Opponents 2005 records

Minn. Crookston:  0-6

Truman State:  1-5

Minn. St. Moorhead:  0-5

Colorado School of Mines:  3-3

Augie:  3-3

In total (including UNO) your opponents record is 11-23 for a winning percentage of .323%     That is not good.

If I want to demonstrate the difference between D-II and I-AA all I need to do is look back at recent history.

Last year SDSU spanked a D-II playoff qualifier Winona State.  Correct me if I am wrong but USD was not deemed good enough by the NCAA to receive a playoff invitation last season.  Winona State, if you recall, had a fine team last season.  Their only D-II loss came in the playoff to the defending National Champions Grand Valley State.  The final score of that playoff game was GVSU 16 - WSU 13.  Do you remember the Winona St. vs SDSU score?  Just in case you forgot  .  .  .  I-AA SDSU 45 - D-II Winona St. 20.

UW-La Crosse also comes to mind as they are a team that has played some NCC team recently as well as SDSU.  Should we see how those games turned out?

UW-La Crosse 28 - USD 24

UW-La Crosse 34 - Minnesota-Duluth 13
        USD 45 - UW-La Crosse 44

SDSU 42 - UW-La Crosse 13

Again, I am glad that USD is having a good season and representing South Dakota well in D-II, but let's try and keep some prospective.  I am sure somewhere there are University of Sioux Falls fans saying that they would beat the stuffings out of USD if they only had the chance to play them.  After all the Cougars are undefeated and ranked higher in their poll then the Yotes are in theirs.  Both assertions seem equally hollow to me, but I wish both schools well.

Go State!  ;D

The fact that you are using that on line poll to prove anything is ridiculous. And why are you posting scores for USD from 2003? I don't know where you were going with that one. Maybe you wanted to show how a good DIII team can beat an average DII team, like USD was in 2003. If thats what your point was then I agree with you. Just like the top DII teams can beat a good portion of the I-AA teams.

To answer your question on whether USD is good or is it a matter of their schedule being weak, the answer would be both. No doubt their schedule has been weak to this point, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. A lot of people have said USC has had a weak schedule these last couple of years, but that doesn't mean they are good.
        It does make it tough to know just how good they are. I think a lot of USD fans might think they are better than what they are because of how bad we beat UNO. I don't really think we are 45 points better than UNO. I do think we are clearly better than last year, but I also won't be surprised if we end up with the same record. At St. Cloud and at home against UND are both potential losses.
        I'm pretty sure Winona St. would not have made the playoffs last year had they played in the NCC. They are rolling up a bunch of big victories this year as well, but unfortunately for them they did schedule an NCC team this year. UND beat them 51-6.

Comment

Actually Alumguy, it's funny that you mention that.  The first DI-AA game I attended was in 2003.  I was visiting some of my friends out in Montana and they are always blowing about how fun the Montana games are, so I went with them to a game.  They were right too, the game was a good time.  The Montana faithful weren't not to happy with the outcome though, as a DII team from Fargo beat them on their own field.  NDSU was coming off a season where they finished last in the NCC, but that didn't stop them from winning at Montana.  
          I haven't seen a lot of I-AA games, but I've seen enough to know.
          So before you try to tell me how many I-AA games I've been to, just re-read the last line of your post.
          Is this true? Did NDSU really beat Montana in 2003? I don't even remember NDSU being that good in 2003. This can't be right.

Comment

The fact that you are using that on line poll to prove anything is ridiculous.  And why are you posting scores for USD from 2003?  I don't know where you were going with that one.  Maybe you wanted to show how a good DIII team can beat an average DII team, like USD was in 2003.  If thats what your point was then I agree with you.  Just like the top DII teams can beat a good portion of the I-AA teams.

To answer your question on whether USD is good or is it a matter of their schedule being weak, the answer would be both.  No doubt their schedule has been weak to this point, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.  A lot of people have said USC has had a weak schedule these last couple of years, but that doesn't mean they are good.  
            It does make it tough to know just how good they are. I think a lot of USD fans might think they are better than what they are because of how bad we beat UNO.  I don't really think we are 45 points better than UNO.  I do think we are clearly better than last year, but I also won't be surprised if we end up with the same record. At St. Cloud and at home against UND are both potential losses.
            I'm pretty sure Winona St. would not have made the playoffs last year had they played in the NCC.  They are rolling up a bunch of big victories this year as well, but unfortunately for them they did schedule an NCC team this year.  UND beat them 51-6.
            Here let me make it a little more simple for you, I will cut out all those pesky facts and quote my main point (I'll even highlight the really important parts) . . .

Again, I am glad that USD is having a good season and representing South Dakota well in D-II, but let's try and keep some prospective. I am sure somewhere there are University of Sioux Falls fans saying that they would beat the stuffings out of USD if they only had the chance to play them. After all the Cougars are undefeated and ranked higher in their poll then the Yotes are in theirs. Both assertions seem equally hollow to me, but I wish both schools well.

Go State! ;D

Comment

There were some years in there where those USF fans would probably have been right. Not this year though. I don't think USF would beat USD this year, just like I don't think USD would beat the top ranked teams in I-AA. However, SDSU isn't one of those teams.

And since noone will answer your question SDsportsFan I will, yes it is true. I was there.

Comment

Sports_buff,

The difference b/n DIAA & DII, speed & depth. SDSU is building both, but not where we need to be to win against the top I-AA teams. However, SDSU probably have more depth than DII teams. Speed is a huge factor at the linebacking positions, which also equates to making it tougher for the offense to get to the edge. I had a friend who played at Northern Iowa and he said the main difference are the 2 factors listed above. I-AA schools have backups that would start at most DII schools. What would happen if USD lost 1 or 2 of their linebackers? This is where the difference lies. More scholarships = more quality depth = maintaining high level of performance.

Comment

Sportsbuff...get a clue!

It has been stated over-and-over the many differences between DII & DIAA. Fact of the matter...USD would not maintain Montana, would not maintain Cal Poly, would not maintain Texas State, would not maintain Cal Davis, PERIOD!!!!!

By the way that is our schedule so far...not a cream puff on it. Get off this high over USD. Yes they have a great team this year and a lot of us Jacks fans even root for them in the NCC now.

Game in and game out though USD would crumble with this schedule. First off, not enough depth...one thing the Jacks don't even have enough of right now with more scholarships than USD, second thing and most important is the athleticism at the DIAA level. We are not there yet either but we do have a diffrent level of overall athlete now than we ever had at the DII level.

Last thing...the U probably could beat a lot of the lower end non-scholly DIAA teams but because you have seen one DIAA game don't make such BOLD statements.

ITS JUST NOT BECOMING...EVEN FOR A YOTE!

Comment

Buff,

This is why I am trying to help you, you have lost prospective and don't know where to find it. You guys are 6-0 but you have only played one ranked team (a D-II ranked team), for that matter you have played only one team with a winning record.

See if this helps. You beat Colordo School of Mines in overtime. This is the same Colordo School of Mines that was killed by Nothern Colorado. Final Score / UNC 52 - Colorado Mines 31.

UNC got pasted by Cal-Poly - Final Score Cal-Poly31 - UNC14

#9 Cal-Poly did beat the Jacks but only by 8, the week before the #4 Montana Grizzlies beat us by 7. So although our record doesn't match yours I think it is safe to say that SDSU would kill the Coyotes like we have for a decade.

Thus my point that USF the NAIA school thinks they can beat USD and USD the D-II school thinks they can beat SDSU. It is kinda cute when the little schools think they can step up a class and win because they are beating the schools from their class.

Go State! ;D

P.S. As far as SDsportsFan goes, many on the board believe him not to be what he claims to be so he is ignored a lot.

Comment

My only comment is that the USD fans should enjoy it while they can. I dont think this euphoria will last forever. ;D

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit

P.S. As far as SDsportsFan goes, many on the board believe him not to be what he claims to be so he is ignored a lot.[/quote]

I forgot, I'm not a true fan because I questioned the move to DI. I also don't bash USD every chance I get, so therefore I'm not a true SDSU fan. Because everyone did ignore me and sportsbuff's word wasn't good enough for me I did my own research and saw that sportsbuff was actually telling the truth.

Comment

*From the Moderator

I find it quite a coincidence that sports_buff, and SDsportsFan both registered as users on the same day (Nov. 30, 2004) and just 4 minutes apart from one another. Jackmd “called out” SDsportsFan and challenged all to read his posts and make up their minds as to his true allegiance. Having done so, I find merit in Jackmd’s suspicions. SDsportsFan & sports_buff this matter will be taken up with the board’s administrator and until such time as a determination is made you’re posting privileges are suspended. Please feel free to contact me by PM if you have further questions, or comments.

Comment

Aren't you being a little harsh?

Comment

*From the Moderator  

I find it quite a coincidence that sports_buff, and SDsportsFan both registered as users on the same day (Nov. 30, 2004) and just 4 minutes apart from one another.  Jackmd “called out” SDsportsFan and challenged all to read his posts and make up their minds as to his true allegiance.  Having done so, I find merit in Jackmd’s suspicions.  SDsportsFan & sports_buff this matter will be taken up with the board’s administrator and until such time as a determination is made you’re posting privileges are suspended.  Please feel free to contact me by PM if you have further questions, or comments.  

And let me guess... they registered from the same IP address, too. I suggest you ask the administrator to check that. And I once again suggest that IP address ID be turned on on this board so all of us can see what IP address people are posting from.

Comment

No not really. (This is a response to Maverick No 1's question about being harsh.

Comment

Working...
                                X