No. 15 For Mav 1 (aka-MavD2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No. 15 For Mav 1 (aka-MavD2)

I think one reason NDSU has had some success recruiting South Dakota kids for football is they have been historically the premiere DII football program in the region and country. The fact the school resides in Fargo is also very appealing for kids from smaller communities. I think USF and Augustana have benefited from being located in a bigger city that can offer amenities that Brookings and Vermillion can't. You dont see many premiere South Dakota Basketball players heading north other than Denver Tenbrook.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
      SDSU is now DI.

USD is DII.

I think both are, should be, and will continue to be happy.  They are different institutions and need to remain that way in order to thrive.  A renewed rivalry would be fun but its just not practical at the current time.

All this discussion is therefore irrelevant.  Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen, it just means it doesn't matter.  Will USD's success entice a few athletes who are good enough to compete at the DI level to settle for DII, sure, can't do anything about that.
      As a Yote fan, I fully agree. Both sides have vaild points however,this discussion, argument, debate, smack will go nowhere unless the teams play on the field, and this is not going to happen any time soon. Also, BigJake/Mav1 be careful with your personal attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerhof

Also, BigJake/Mav1 be careful with your personal attacks.

I have never personally attacked someone unless first being personally attacked. We went through this many moons ago and I said the same thing. I refuse to turn the other cheek after taking personal shots. Call out UNO as much as you want. Talk about how we got blasted 59-14. I expect that. But when people like JBNJBQ, Milwaukee and others take personal shots, I am going to respond with in the guidelines of this board.
        If you are going to dish it out be ready to take it back.

Mavs#1

Comment

Originally posted by USDSU
          Here are two great players at NDSU that got out of Stig's front and backyard.  SDSU doesnt lose many but these guys would have made a great improvement to our running game.  Both of these guys grew up watching saturday FB at CAS and still left.
          With all due respect, I think you missed the point of my post. It was not to battle on whether Stig was the best recruiter in the country, but to point out to Coyote Fan that Stig is an excellent coach and has surrounded himself with excellent coaches. Also, to point out that Vlad Guerrero gets an out 7 out of 10 times he steps up to the plate does not prove he is a bad hitter.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

I have never personally attacked someone unless first being personally attacked. We went through this many moons ago and I said the same thing. I refuse to turn the other cheek after taking personal shots. Call out UNO as much as you want. Talk about how we got blasted 59-14. I expect that. But when people like JBNJBQ, Milwaukee and others take personal shots, I am going to respond with in the guidelines of this board.
            If you are going to dish it out be ready to take it back.

Mavs#1
            The only time I have made a personal attack is when a bisonman comes on here and makes a thinly veiled dig at me for being an undersized linebacker even though I doubt bisonman ever actually played for NDSU. Even then, my personal attack was more based on defending myself than attacking bisonman. I believe the only time I've mentioned anything personal about the two UNO yahoos is when you posted articles and pictures on this site claiming that all SD people are fat, etc. But, I guess claiming people from SD are fat and whatever other broad statements you've made on this board doesn't fit under personal attack in your book.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

USDSU, I have a hard time with your proposition. If a local kid goes to another rival school doesn't necessarily reflect on one's recruiting ability. If that was the case Jim Calhoun from Uconn (Jason Fraser) and Tressel from OSU (Omar Jacobs) recruiting abilities should be questioned.

Comment

[quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=board=Smack;num=1128221123;start=30#34 date=10/05/05 at 07:50:35]Coyote Fan:

I think you make some excellent points in your well-thought out post.  However, I think you missed a couple things.  You say you don't think SDSU has done anything to get better since we left D2, yet somehow USD has?  I'll admit that you're team looks to be the best team USD has put on the field in over 10 years.  However, I'm not sure how that shows they did a lot to improve.  If SDSU has supposedly done nothing to improve, then I don't know how you can say USD has.  It's not a two-way street.

The biggest thing USD did to improve was to scrap the buddy system of coaches that they have had down there for 15 years. USD kept hiring coaches from within or someone that was endorsed by the outgoing coach. That is the problem. If the coaching was bad to begin with why stay from within and why take advise from the outgoing coach. Joel Neilson the new AD at the time decided to put the coaching position up for a nationwide search. They decided from multiple applicants to hire Meierkort. When I heard him in an interview for the first time I had a good feeling about him. He just had positive energy and sounded intelligent when talking. That is all I knew but he has turned out pretty good so far. That is a very big change, the change that has made a huge difference. The players that are now there are basically the same ones that Austin coached and recruited. The problem with Austin is that he was not a good sideline coach. Meierkort is a good sideline coach either that or he has some pretty good assistants. Meierkort did hand pick those assistants though. The current coaching staff understands how to get the most out of their players and understands how to use the correct playcalling at the correct time. Austins staff put out a team that looked disorganized most of the time. Too many penalties, stupid play calls, etc. He couldn't even get plays in on time to not avoid having to call timeout to not get a delay of game penalty.

That is why USD is succeeding. It's because of the coaching staff. That coaching staff instills confidence in the players and now those players are really fourishing.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

With all due respect, I think you missed the point of my post.  It was not to battle on whether Stig was the best recruiter in the country, but to point out to Coyote Fan that Stig is an excellent coach and has surrounded himself with excellent coaches.  Also, to point out that Vlad Guerrero gets an out 7 out of 10 times he steps up to the plate does not prove he is a bad hitter.
                  I think Stig is a good coach and does a solid job of keeping the Jacks as a decent team. I wouldn't call him an excellent coach yet because he hasn't really had the Jacks on the doorstep of winning anything yet. If he was excellent he would have had SDSU in the playoffs before going D1. This is not a shot at Stig I am just saying he is a good coach but wouldn't say excellent.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Look at the graduation rates: SDSU's athletes graduate at a 73 percent rate. USD's athletes are at 58. SDSU's graduation rate is among the highest in D1AA. I'll take that. And Stig, because he manages a large number of scholarships and walk-ons, is a big contributor to that record. He also wins more than he loses, and with a big disadvantage in scholarships (for the moment). There is more to being an "excellent" coach than just win-loss percentage.

Comment

One more point for our USD friends, you asked for reasons why we are better then we were 2 years ago. Here is a good one, now that we are D-I some of the rules have changed, these different rules that we play under allow us to offer more and be better, Chris Solari wrote an article about this either this summer or the summer past. One of these changes deals with the Jackrabbit Acceleration Program. As a D-II program we could offer the program to our athletes but they had to pay for it. Now that we are D-I we can provide it to our athletes and the majority of the football team has spent it's summers in Brookings getting stronger and faster. The stregth and conditioning coach (Nathan Moe) is a huge part of D-I sports.

SDSU wins this proposed match up, if you don't believe me call your AD, call your coach, demand that they sign a deal with State. We will always be looking for a D-II team to open the season with and we will give you a check when it is all said and done. Just remember, there are no home and home deal with teams from different divisions.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                      X