USD Playoff picture.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Playoff picture.....

look into how many pounds of mouse droppings are allowed per ton of flour once if you really want something to worry about. It's impossible to ensure all flour is completely free of turds and dirt due to cost restraints. Rap your head around that.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      look into how many pounds of mouse droppings are allowed per ton of flour once if you really want something to worry about.  It's impossible to ensure all flour is completely free of turds and dirt due to cost restraints.  Rap your head around that.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Just ran across this article from the Volante....

USD playoff chances snubbed
        By: Vance Janak
        Issue date: 11/9/05 Section: Sports
        Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

For the second straight season, the Coyotes were overlooked by the North Central Region Committee for a spot in the Division II football postseason.

USD (9-2, 4-2) was one of three other North Central Conference schools to win a share of the conference title. However, the Coyotes were the lone NCC-title team to be left without a playoff invitation, as Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth will all continue their seasons.

Head coach Ed Meierkort is stymied as to why his team will not partake in the postseason action again this season.

"Basically what they are saying is we had to go 10-1 to be in the playoffs which makes absolutely no sense," Meierkort said. "Somebody says you lost to Duluth. Well, we also beat the Sioux. I don't understand that and it's not right. There are a lot of people who are lying to us right now, but I am going to take the high road and say this: this is a team that deserves to be in the playoffs. I am not saying the other teams did not deserve that."

Although the Coyotes routed Nebraska-Omaha 59-14 on Sept. 24 in the DakotaDome, UNO (8-2, 4-2) was given the No. 2 seed in the Northwest Region. UNO's other loss of the season came against UMD by a 38-35 decision. The Mavericks defeated UND 20-19 Oct. 29 in Grand Forks, N.D, giving the Fighting Sioux their first loss of the season.

After suffering defeats the past two weeks, North Dakota was awarded the No. 4 seed in the region. Saturday, USD overpowered the first-ranked defense in Division II, handing the Fighting Sioux a 42-30 defeat.

Minnesota-Duluth is the lone team in the playoffs to beat USD and it was given the No. 5 seed. Even at that time, many thought the loss in Duluth might cost the Coyotes a shot at postseason play, as USD was defeated 56-43 Oct. 29.

UMD's three losses came at D-IAA Northern Iowa (49-14), at home against UND (33-10) and at Augustana (26-23).

USD had five wins against teams with winning records and No. 6 Northwood had two such victories.

In addition, the Coyotes are the only conference team to post a perfect record at home, winning each of their six games in the DakotaDome. USD also has a 2-1 record over the three teams in the playoffs.

When asked how he felt about beating the No. 2 and No. 4 teams in the region, a bittersweet smile came across Meierkort's face.

"It feels good for me. I don't know how the selection committee keeps going to the strength of schedule, which is bull**** to be quite honest, Meierkort said. "We beat five teams in the top-25 in the country. There is a team in the playoffs in our region that has beaten nobody with over a .500 record. So don't give me strength of schedule."

So what kept the Coyotes out of the postseason festivities?

The two road losses hurt USD's chances of getting into the playoffs. The Oct. 15 loss at St. Cloud State and the Oct. 29 loss at Minnesota-Duluth probably persuaded the regional committee to look away from USD. A weak non-conference schedule also did not help the Coyotes' postseason chances, as the combined records for USD's non-conference opponents was 13-41.

"They play in a bad league, and a 2-8 team for Northwood is not as good as Mankato. It is not my fault Mankato went 2-9," Meierkort said. "We booked national playoff semi-finalists that went 12-1. Did I know they were going to go 6-5? No. With administrators who have never played the game, have never coached the game and hide behind statistics, it's bad. This game should be played out on the field."

Reach football writer Vance Janak at vjanak@usd.edu.

Comment

I think it comes down to the fact, no matter what level, you have to play the best to be the best, I think usd could have gone far in the playoffs if they played them all at home. Their two road losses are indicaters of that. It's all about respect, nobody is going to respect wins against crappy teams. Schedule teams that have been historically succesful teams and beat them. usd would then be in the playoffs. I believe one of the two UMD losses were against UNI. usd's were to two ncc d2 schools on the road. Cal Poly was 9-2 last year, I believe, but did not make the playoffs. This year they have the same record and make the playoffs. Its all about respect and a consistent tradition, no matter the level of competition.

Comment

If you enjoy this thread and want more, then the thing to do is go to www.D2football.com, message board, NCC discussions and there are more USD bemoaning and boasting about how they would have handled Grand Valley State if they had made the playoffs. Seems like SDSU played GVSU a few years back and are 2-0, so GVSU must not be too tough. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
            X