Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Playoff picture.....

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
    The whining has reached a crescendo. My friend Mick Garry at the Argus, usually a very bright, thoughtful and reasonable fellow, offers this today:

"Working against USD was a non-conference schedule that included Minnesota-Crookston, Minnesota-Moorhead and Truman State. Combined, these teams were 4-28 this year. But the Coyotes will tell you they took these games because, after the NCC went down to seven teams, they had to fill their schedule, not because they had to fill their win column."

Let me see if I understand this: They should have gotten into the playoffs despite their weak non-conference schedule because they had to play lousy teams, not because they wanted to. In other words, it's SDSU, NDSU, and UNC's fault that USD was forced, against its will, to play crappy teams and thus had only two quality wins on the season. Talk about a specious argument. You might as well blame sun spots for scrambling the brains of the the USD officials who made the scheduling decisions.

Here's a link to Mick's column:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...511090317/1002
    I don't even waste my time reading columns from Mick anymore. I see his name or picture and move on to the next article. There is no dispute, the playoff selection committee selected teams on the basis of their overall performance and UMD, UNO, and UND had more quality wins than USD. Fact is fact. Tough pill to swallow but as they say, "live and learn".
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The whining has reached a crescendo. My friend Mick Garry at the Argus, usually a very bright, thoughtful and reasonable fellow, offers this today:

"Working against USD was a non-conference schedule that included Minnesota-Crookston, Minnesota-Moorhead and Truman State. Combined, these teams were 4-28 this year. But the Coyotes will tell you they took these games because, after the NCC went down to seven teams, they had to fill their schedule, not because they had to fill their win column."

Let me see if I understand this: They should have gotten into the playoffs despite their weak non-conference schedule because they had to play lousy teams, not because they wanted to. In other words, it's SDSU, NDSU, and UNC's fault that USD was forced, against its will, to play crappy teams and thus had only two quality wins on the season. Talk about a specious argument. You might as well blame sun spots for scrambling the brains of the the USD officials who made the scheduling decisions.

Here's a link to Mick's column:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...511090317/1002
      I knew somehow this was a SDSU plot to hold the Yotes down.  The whole move to D-I was just our spiteful attempt to make sure that USD would not make the D-II football playoffs     Hey wait, three other teams from the NCC also missed out on the opportunity to play NDSU, UNC, and SDSU and they found a way to get into the playoff .  .  . hmmmm.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Let's say USD doesn't choke against UMD and finish 10-1. They end up with the #3 seed and get to host a playoff game. How does USD even host the game this weekend when the dome is already booked Friday and Saturday for the high school playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

I knew somehow this was a SDSU plot to hold the Yotes down.  The whole move to D-I was just our spiteful attempt to make sure that USD would not make the D-II football playoffs     Hey wait, three other teams from the NCC also missed out on the opportunity to play NDSU, UNC, and SDSU and they found a way to get into the playoff .  .  . hmmmm.

Go State!  ;D
          USD's ex post facto explanation (it's SDSU's fault for leaving and forcing us to schedule Truman State) feels to me like a set of political talking points crafted in some crisis management war room. They had Sunday through Tuesday to concoct an explanation for their fans and donors and unleashed it via Mick's column today. They have to know that the only people to blame are the people who put together that slate of cupcakes.

I wish Mick had applied some critical thinking to that explanation. The fact is that UND somehow managed to put together a strong non-conference schedule. How on earth did they do that?

It makes me wonder when the next explanation will be forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
            Let's say USD doesn't choke against UMD and finish 10-1.  They end up with the #3 seed and get to host a playoff game.  How does USD even host the game this weekend when the dome is already booked Friday and Saturday for the high school playoffs?

I believe the dome is only used saturday evening, unlike all day and night on Friday, but it would have been hilarious seeing the hustle. I would assume the high school teams would have been in the dome (locker rooms and warming up) by five that afternoon.

Either way nich catch jack100, it would have been quite funny watching them shuffle things around. Not that we at State have been much better, but it shows USD's confidence in them holding a playoff game this weekend. It hasn't happened much before so they probably haven't had to plan for it.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I just received the electronic version of the Volante, USD's student newspaper. I clipped this from a story about the Coyote's being snubbed:

Head coach Ed Meierkort is stymied as to why his team will not partake in the postseason action again this season.

"Basically what they are saying is we had to go 10-1 to be in the playoffs which makes absolutely no sense," Meierkort said. "Somebody says you lost to Duluth. Well, we also beat the Sioux. I don't understand that and it's not right. There are a lot of people who are lying to us right now, but I am going to take the high road and say this: this is a team that deserves to be in the playoffs. I am not saying the other teams did not deserve that."

Question: What high road is Meierkort on? I want to avoid that road.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                I just received the electronic version of the Volante, USD's student newspaper.  I clipped this from a story about the Coyote's being snubbed:

Head coach Ed Meierkort is stymied as to why his team will not partake in the postseason action again this season.

"Basically what they are saying is we had to go 10-1 to be in the playoffs which makes absolutely no sense," Meierkort said. "Somebody says you lost to Duluth. Well, we also beat the Sioux. I don't understand that and it's not right. There are a lot of people who are lying to us right now, but I am going to take the high road and say this: this is a team that deserves to be in the playoffs. I am not saying the other teams did not deserve that."

Question:  What high road is Meierkort on?  I want to avoid that road.
                Ed has already fallen victim to the "USD whine"? I though he was above that. The selection committee won't be duped by a team that lost 2 out of the 5 games they played against "real" teams. Its just that simple.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                  "Basically what they are saying is we had to go 10-1 to be in the playoffs which makes absolutely no sense," Meierkort said.
                  Well... yes. If you play the world's easiest non-conference schedule, you have to go 10-1 to make the playoffs. That's pretty much the situation. And it makes perfect sense to me. What part of "Minnesota-Crookston" don't you understand, Ed?

Comment

Was this a make or break year for usdfb? Is logan and that QB done? If they are at least we won't have to hear all the whining again next year.

Comment

Logan is back. They lose the Qb though for sure.

Comment

USD changes their logo again? School officials feel the new logo is even scarier than their previous one. It is also felt that it more closely portrays the history of their athletic program.

USD, South Dakota's Team!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...b30015393f.txt

This is quite an article from the Sioux City Journal perspective. Lot's of truths in this.

Comment

I know this is the smack board and all, and everyone is having fun at USD's expense, but seriously, there's way too much activity on this thread. On USD's message board there are only 23 posts concerning their post season, and a good number by members of this board. Holy crap, I thought we quit caring about USD a few years ago, but I guess we just can't let them go. And damnit, now I'm guilty of contributing to this. See what you've made me do.
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                              I know this is the smack board and all, and everyone is having fun at USD's expense, but seriously, there's way too much activity on this thread.  On USD's message board there are only 23 posts concerning their post season, and a good number by members of this board. Holy crap, I thought we quit caring about USD a few years ago, but I guess we just can't let them go.  And damnit, now I'm guilty of contributing to this.  See what you've made me do.
                              Agreed. Let's talk about something else: Favorite Thanksgiving pies. Pumpkin, or something else. I vote pumpkin. Discuss.

Comment

Agreed. Let's talk about something else: Favorite Thanksgiving pies. Pumpkin, or something else. I vote pumpkin. Discuss.
                                My favorite thanksgiving pie would be pumpkin only because I never eat pumkpin pie except for thanksgiving. Given my choice, its peach pie everytime. Lemon marang is a close second with pecan not far behind (hmm and banana creme too).

Comment

Working...
                                X