Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Stu,

Pretty funny stuff until the comment about "selling out our kids".  That statement is bull**** and you know it.

You don't think progressively enough to deserve to live in a state with such fine, progressive institutions of higher learning.  Explain to me how increased funding for facilities, programs, scholarships, research, etc.. is selling out our kids?

You can believe what you want about me, but one of the reasons I returned to SD is my support for higher education in this state.  It starts with our largest university where my allegiance is strongest and ends at our liberal arts school where I am an assistant professor who volunteers my time on a daily basis to teach medicine to students who should aspire to be the best and compete with the best.  I feel the same about our athletes.

Have fun, its the best you can do, but don't make assinine comments like that and not expect to be called out for what you are, a jackass. Stick to reporting the facts. SDSU is completing the transition to DI, USD is following. That benefits all people in South Dakota.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A couple of preliminaries....I only see Whitney's writings when I care to check a link provided on this message board.  I rarely check the Smack section which means I rarely see a link to a Whitney writing.  I've thought many of the critics of Whitney are reacting just the way he wants.  There are times when my journalism background (SDSU 76) will cause me to defend a journalist or newspaper columnist with whom I disagree.

Okay, now comments on Whitney's lyrics:

The most recent Whitney column is sad.  It is an example of writing one can expect in a middle-school newspaper.  It is on par with the "story/opinion piece/attempt at humor" about the hottest media person on the Sioux Falls TV stations that ran in the Argus months ago (that was the last time I read the Argus...I do not have that kind of time to waste).  

Whitney certainly has not cornered the market on bad writing.  He's not the worst writer, either.  He may be the weakest link at the Argus although one has to continually ask who is running that place?  

Over the years I have read very poor writing similar to Whitney's.  His problem is not so much one of execution: he has a deeper problem. I think it is something like a lack of humility in his writing.  He apparently thinks he is so clever that his readers (there cannot be very many) are clamoring to get their morning newspaper to see his latest missives.  His writing begs the reader to say "You are SO clever, Stu."  

It is a rare writer who dares to do that.  Most successful writers given the privilege of writing a column stating opinions, base their opinions on a backbone of strong, factual reporting  (Whitney need not look far:  Terry Woster takes actual facts, a true story and accurate memories of people, places and things, and then writes about them with a slight bit of opinion added).

As I read much of Whitney's lyrics (I skipped through the middle), I thought about the kind of reader who would think he was funny.  I imagined two or three teen-aged kids who are Whitney's best friends in middle school, snickering in the manner of Beavis and Butthead.  

There are times when the Argus has a column that is worth the price of the subscription and more.  Unfortunately, the high points, at least in my mind, are eliminated by the occasional piece such as the one in today's Argus, the link provided by 89Rabbit.

Sad.

Comment

Stu...Stu...Stu...Hearing him might be worse than reading him. :

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=SPORTS

Click on the "2006 year in review" podcast.
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

It seems odd to me that they run a story slamming The State of South Dakota and DI in the sports section on the same day as a front page story praising the president of the University who led the charge to DI. I guess that's why I'm not in journalism.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
            Stu...Stu...Stu...Hearing him might be worse than reading him. :

One thing about Stu is definitely true! He sure does have a face for radio!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
              [quote author=propar80 link=1161110637/90#92 date=1167334861]Stu...Stu...Stu...Hearing him might be worse than reading him. :

One thing about Stu is definitely true!  He sure does have a face for radio!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPERBUNNY[/quote]

When you zoom in on him.........

++++++

.......it gets easier to understand why he is, the way he is!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

I actually think Stu looks a lot like Joe Don Baker.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                  I actually think Stu looks a lot like Joe Don Baker.
                  MITCHELL!!!!!

/MST3K fan mode
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...131/COLUMNISTS

SDSU women blaze basketball trail
                    NIT bid would lend credence to a fact: S.D. girls can play

By By Stu Whitney
                    Argus Leader
                    PUBLISHED: December 31, 2006

It would be foolish to look at the coming year in South Dakota sports and not consider the continued upheaval of our collegiate landscape.

With the University of South Dakota joining South Dakota State in its journey up the NCAA ladder, our state will jump from zero to two Division I programs in a span of less than five years.

There will be a lot of pain and nostalgia as this process churns on - including the swan song of a once-mighty North Central Conference.

But there also will be bursts of good news related to our new Division I world.

Much of it will involve SDSU's women's basketball team, which has shown the most ability to survive - and thrive - at the highest competitive level.

The Jackrabbits aren't yet eligible for the NCAA tournament, but don't be surprised to see them in the Women's National Invitational Tournament - possibly even drawing a home game.

This year's Jacks already have drawn national attention by knocking off major programs such as Southern California, Virginia, Kansas, Middle Tennessee State, Colorado and Alabama.

The NIT bid would offer a form of validation - or at least inspiration - for other SDSU and USD squads as they venture forth to challenge larger, better-funded opponents. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...40/1002/SPORTS

Well, Stuart did write one nice thing...then he gets into his sports round-up for 2006 article.  He just can not write a article without bashing SDSU and its fans...more so the individuals that log on this site.  I think he will find that NDSU will not drop us like a hot potatoe when UND becomes full fledged just for the fact that they treated NDSU in the same manner that USD treated us.

Again Stu, you are becoming more of an idiot in every article you write.  The truth is you do not have a clue and you are reaching for justifications.  Stu, the MidCon has to have a 100% yea or nea to join the conference and in the next few years they are not going to get that.  As far as Nielson backdoor meetings with Douple, start laying out the facts and why your at it why dont you research in to USDs' plan for for their transition.  Nobody as of yet has seen that and by God you were one of the first that had to have ours, the public has the right to know...right.  Quit stirring up the pot with your articles and start writing as a professional with meaning, facts and truths. Then and only then will you start receiving a little respect.  You do not hold a candle to Terry, SDSU's new beat writer, and I think its got you feathers in a little secret uproar.

Again, quit being an idiot and start writing as you were taught if you want to be truley recognized as a journalist.

Sorry for going on here guys but Stu obviously reads this site.  I was told to read the article and this man just does not have all the watts clicking in his bulb.

P.S.
                      Stu, come say hi at Frost, I will say it all to you face-to-face, that is the kind of guy I am.  No hatred, just cant deal with your constant brain farts. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Comment

The funny part about these 2006 news stories that appeared in Sunday's paper is the one that starts out about the big bold move made by USD in going D1, and all of sudden, its SDSU Fans bash time. Kick us in the teeth, but forget to refocus on Abbott and Nielsen and how they seem to lack a business plan. Not a word about how USD is going to make it through the transistion and its all about SDSU fans doubting that USD will be invited into the Mid Con. Talk about missing the point and writing off topic. Perhaps STU needs a refresher course in theme writing at at USDSU. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          The funny part about these 2006 news stories that appeared in Sunday's paper is the one that starts out about the big bold move made by USD in going D1, and all of sudden, its SDSU Fans bash time. Kick us in the teeth, but forget to refocus on Abbott and Nielsen and how they seem to lack a business plan. Not a word about how USD is going to make it through the transistion and its all about SDSU fans doubting that USD will be invited into the Mid Con. Talk about missing the point and writing off topic. Perhaps STU needs a refresher course in theme writing at at USDSU. ;D ;D ;D ;D
                          That was my thought also, USD can't be too happy that the story that is supposed to be about their big move is 75% about SDSU.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Stu shines again in the latest podcast. I am sure glad Terry was there to educate him like the rest of the Sioux Falls media.
                            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Just for the fun of it, can we heckle Stu at the game as much if not more then we do NDSU, At least there is mutual respect from NDSU. Stu might as well show up wearing his I love U dot shirt cuz that is wear he would rather be im sure. But im sure this game will give him oppertunities to bash SDSU win or lose.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It's great too see you guys call Stu out. However, let's not forget that Mark Ovenden from KDLT has been a total hater for years. He disliked us before we went DI. It's unfortunate that the Fishbacks gave him money to do some in-game promos for them. I find him totally repulsive.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X