Kingsbury County towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

This week's Argus Sports Web was one of the worst I have heard. Very little information about the actual games betwen NDSU and SDSU. Lots of discussion of herpes, etc. I enjoy the humor on the podcast, but usually there is at least a little bit of substance in there.

By the way, I'd worry about Mark Ovenden hating SDSU if anybody, and I mean anybody watched KDLT. Their ratings are (and always have been) a very distant third in the Sioux Falls market. It's not the fault of the people who work there... they try their best. But their parent company has figured out the dirty little secret of television: You can make gobs of money in TV whether or not you bother investing in local news.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't get the Ovenden "hatin' on" SDSU. I watch KDLT almost exclusively and have for years, I think they have by far the best sports department of any station in SF and the news and weather are neck and neck with KSFY. I give Ovenden credit for always stating up front that he favored Augie at the point his son started playing for them, but I don't recall him putting down SDSU. Might be wrong, my memory is my own.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
        This week's Argus Sports Web was one of the worst I have heard. Very little information about the actual games betwen NDSU and SDSU. Lots of discussion of herpes, etc. I enjoy the humor on the podcast, but usually there is at least a little bit of substance in there.

By the way, I'd worry about Mark Ovenden hating SDSU if anybody, and I mean anybody watched KDLT. Their ratings are (and always have been) a very distant third in the Sioux Falls market. It's not the fault of the people who work there... they try their best. But their parent company has figured out the dirty little secret of television: You can make gobs of money in TV whether or not you bother investing in local news.
        i like watching kdlt for sports as they are the first to do the sports each night and do a good job getting out the high school bb scores and not just the ones around sf.

Comment

I always thought Mark did a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
            Ditto.

Comment

So Stu apparently didn't show up to press row until halftime...Atta boy Stu, he got there just in time to see his wife auctioned off ;D

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                So Stu apparently didn't show up to press row until halftime...Atta boy Stu, he got there just in time to see his wife auctioned off ;D
                Stu showed up around tip-off and was at the east-end of the press row until halftime......

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                  Mark covered every media day for KDLT when I was playing and even interviewed me when I was senior. He was good friends with a couple of my uncles and may have done the interview as a nod to them, but I'll pretend he was really interested in what I had to say. Anyway, the 5 years I was in school he always did a nice video feature on the team. I always felt he was pro-SDSU until his son went to Augie. Hard to fault a guy for turning his favoritism to the team his son played for.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    [quote author=1bunnies link=1161110637/105#108 date=1170539870]I always thought Mark did a good job.
                    Mark covered every media day for KDLT when I was playing and even interviewed me when I was senior.  He was good friends with a couple of my uncles and may have done the interview as a nod to them, but I'll pretend he was really interested in what I had to say. Anyway, the 5 years I was in school he always did a nice video feature on the team.  I always felt he was pro-SDSU until his son went to Augie.  Hard to fault a guy for turning his favoritism to the team his son played for.
                    [/quote]

Coming from Washington High school in SF, a few years ago, Mark and KDLT were never very impressive from high school sports coverage. Unless of course it was Roosevelt because his son went there. KELO always had strong ties to Washington so that was the break down in SF. Nobody seemed to care much for lincoln in sports considering the where always pretty bad until just recently. People in TV were not as bad though as STU was. STU the biggest O'gorman supporter you could find could always have a story about how great O'G was, even if they lost to WHS, he could still put down the other schools while hyping up O'G. High school students in SF don't usually follow the argus sports mainly because of the STU-pid articles. The other guys at the argus dont seem to awful to read about college sports except for STU. Terry on the other hand I would think has been the fresh of breath air that the argus sports has needed.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Wow. I've never said anything bad about Stu in a post before. But after listening to his most recent podcast on the Argus Leader tonight I was disappointed. Towards the end of the podcast while talking about the state B boys tournament he said

"Believe it or not, and you wouldn't be able to tell from the media coverage, but there are some people who would rather see Louie Krogman play in a state championship game then watch the SDSU basketball team play a rinky dink tournament known as the womens NIT. I think I'll take Krogman in that one."

Link here: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...arams=Id=65849

It is about 3/4 of the way in under state B's.

What a worthless and ignorant rant. Even a USD fan has more class then Stu.

Comment

Wow. Not sure what SDSU's women's team has to do with the High School Boy's Basketball tournaments, but I guess Stu finds something. I am starting to think Stu feels threatened by Terry and he was indirectly taking a shot at Terry's coverage. It was similar to the comment he made a couple of weeks ago while interviewing AJ about SDSU's football team's lack of SD recruits. I hope Stu enjoys watching high school basketball instead of watching D-1 college basketball in March.
                        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I lost all faith in the argus and Stu after the news article on open enrolment he did last year. I know the people he interviewed and seemed like he wanted to stir more stuf up. He wrote about how some O'gorman players got tuition reduced for little janitor work and after interviewing a parent for over 2 hours he managed to put in 1 sentence that stated that there family no longer buys groceries at the town his son use to attend. He never went and interviewed any kids from the other high schools either just the ones the kids transfered too. I know this has little to do with SDSU but it was really poor journalism if you ask me. Terry seems to be alot more open minded and knows something about journalism.. Something Stu clearly doesn't.. you can tell he went to the U because he clearly didn't learn much other then to hate State.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                            I lost all faith in the argus and Stu after the news article on open enrolment he did last year. I know the people he interviewed and seemed like he wanted to stir more stuf up. He wrote about how some O'gorman players got tuition reduced for little janitor work and after interviewing a parent for over 2 hours he managed to put in 1 sentence that stated that there family no longer buys groceries at the town his son use to attend. He never went and interviewed any kids from the other high schools either just the ones the kids transfered too. I know this has little to do with SDSU but it was really poor journalism if you ask me. Terry seems to be alot more open minded and knows something about journalism.. Something Stu clearly doesn't.. you can tell he went to the U because he clearly didn't learn much other then to hate State.
                            Stu graduated from Michigan State.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Check out the "High School Championship" blog on the argus leader web site. Not alot of interest from anybody. Only a couple of comments. Stu is an A$$.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

quit listening to him and quit reading his articles. it only keeps him going when he can p*ss people off.

Comment

Working...
                                X