Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Sucks

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    [quote author=SDSUcks link=1182280463/0#9 date=1182405619][quote author=rabidrabbit link=1182280463/0#8 date=1182361142]The reason for an indoor stadium was the cheerleaders wouldn't chew the carpet down!  ;D ;D  "Hooterville" had to be one of the deadest towns I lived in (2 summers, watching them build the DakotaDome)

I hope that them MD's & JD's are sweeting the financial pot, because the 'Yotes have a long ways to go to get to 63 schollies in football.  Lots of women's sports need to be reintroduced and move forward.  Four years ago, USD made a good choice to remain D-II, now 'lil bro has some serious growth to do, and a painful, undersupported, time to make that change.

Good for USD that they're bootstrapped to UND, because they wouldn't do well alone in D-I transition.  Hope UND "helps" USD, rather than leave them in a UNC transition, and with less success.

I look for USD to have about the same success with FCS football that SDSU has had, but against generally lesser opponents.  Mo St., SEMO, OVC teams would be smart to schedule USD for OOC games.  Most Gateways, Montana schools would munch up the Yotes, worst than did the Jacks.
    Yah and I suppose that is why Montana State came calling after USD's head coach.  Did they have any interest in Stig?  SDSU had one good year that was likely because of a hot quarterback that is now gone.  There is a much better chance that SDSU's good season was more of a fluke than USD's past 3 seasons.  Last time USD and SDSU played the Coyotes weren't even close to the team they are currently.  SDSU barely won those games.  SDSU actually lost at home to a John Austin coached team.  How does that happen.  
    [/quote]

Do you think just maybe SDSU has also improved incrementally over the same timeframe? Once again congratulations on retaining your coach and assemblying a better team, but please don't forget that great record came without NDSU,SDSU and UNC on the schedule as in years past and a very easy, laughable non-conference schedule. How many points did that heralded offense score against Central Arkansas? [/quote]

I don't think you want to get into a smack discussion about embarrasing football moments from 2006, I think you would lose that argument.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
      [quote author=2002jack link=1182280463/0#11 date=1182438495][quote author=SDSUcks link=1182280463/0#9 date=1182405619][quote author=rabidrabbit link=1182280463/0#8 date=1182361142]The reason for an indoor stadium was the cheerleaders wouldn't chew the carpet down!  ;D ;D  "Hooterville" had to be one of the deadest towns I lived in (2 summers, watching them build the DakotaDome)

I hope that them MD's & JD's are sweeting the financial pot, because the 'Yotes have a long ways to go to get to 63 schollies in football.  Lots of women's sports need to be reintroduced and move forward.  Four years ago, USD made a good choice to remain D-II, now 'lil bro has some serious growth to do, and a painful, undersupported, time to make that change.

Good for USD that they're bootstrapped to UND, because they wouldn't do well alone in D-I transition.  Hope UND "helps" USD, rather than leave them in a UNC transition, and with less success.

I look for USD to have about the same success with FCS football that SDSU has had, but against generally lesser opponents.  Mo St., SEMO, OVC teams would be smart to schedule USD for OOC games.  Most Gateways, Montana schools would munch up the Yotes, worst than did the Jacks.
      Yah and I suppose that is why Montana State came calling after USD's head coach.  Did they have any interest in Stig?  SDSU had one good year that was likely because of a hot quarterback that is now gone.  There is a much better chance that SDSU's good season was more of a fluke than USD's past 3 seasons.  Last time USD and SDSU played the Coyotes weren't even close to the team they are currently.  SDSU barely won those games.  SDSU actually lost at home to a John Austin coached team.  How does that happen.  
      [/quote]

Ucks, why would Stig want the Montana State job?  It would be a lateral move at best.  Their program is having some serious issues with academics and drugs.  The only option for them was to look at DII and NAIA coaches who want to move up a level.[/quote]

I never said he had any interest in MSU.  I inferred of MSU not having interest in him.  My point was that they had interest in Meierkort and not in Stig.  Meierkort is simply the more desirable coaching candidate.
      [/quote]

You are missing the point, let's see if I can help.  Pretend that Montana State is a person looking to buy a new car.  They been through some rough times (academic and legal issues), and money is tight (the job is not the most attractive in FCS).  Sure they would like to go get the big SUV (Head Coach from a FCS that has scholarships) but they know the reality is that they are going to have to look at the economy cars (NAIA, D-II, FCS Non-Scholarship, Assistant Coaches).

Face it your Coach Meierkort is an economy car and that is why MSU was looking at him.  Of course he was not one of the finalists so I guess he wasn't one of the "sporty" economy cars.   ;D  

Coach Stig =

Coach Meierkort =

Montana State's new coach Rob Ash =

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        [quote author=SDSUcks link=1182280463/0#14 date=1182481838][quote author=2002jack link=1182280463/0#11 date=1182438495][quote author=SDSUcks link=1182280463/0#9 date=1182405619][quote author=rabidrabbit link=1182280463/0#8 date=1182361142]The reason for an indoor stadium was the cheerleaders wouldn't chew the carpet down!  ;D ;D  "Hooterville" had to be one of the deadest towns I lived in (2 summers, watching them build the DakotaDome)

[/quote]

Ucks, why would Stig want the Montana State job?  It would be a lateral move at best.  Their program is having some serious issues with academics and drugs.  The only option for them was to look at DII and NAIA coaches who want to move up a level.[/quote]

I never said he had any interest in MSU.  I inferred of MSU not having interest in him.  My point was that they had interest in Meierkort and not in Stig.  Meierkort is simply the more desirable coaching candidate.
        [/quote]

You are missing the point, let's see if I can help.  Pretend that Montana State is a person looking to buy a new car.  They been through some rough times (academic and legal issues), and money is tight (the job is not the most attractive in FCS).  Sure they would like to go get the big SUV (Head Coach from a FCS that has scholarships) but they know the reality is that they are going to have to look at the economy cars (NAIA, D-II, FCS Non-Scholarship, Assistant Coaches).

Face it your Coach Meierkort is an economy car and that is why MSU was looking at him.  Of course he was not one of the finalists so I guess he wasn't one of the "sporty" economy cars.   ;D  

Coach Stig =

Coach Meierkort =

Montana State's new coach Rob Ash =

Go State!  [/quote]

That was perhaps the most ridiculous rationalization I have ever read or heard. I guess if that is how one of the better FCS program thinks maybe it's not such a good idea to be a member of that division. Maybe the Bowl series is the way to go right off the bat.

I guess Stig was just too good for MSU to consider. I suppose that is also why he is coaching a program that has one of the most mediocre football histories imaginable. It won't matter because Meierkort will be beating SDSU in no time. Then he will take down Montana State as well since they have such "so called low standards" for their coaching candidates.

Comment

Would someone kill this thread. I have long forgotton about the outhouse to the south.

Let's see. . . . What do these schools have in common?

Notre Dame, USC, Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Virginia, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Kentucky, Boston College, Washington State, Gonzaga, Kansas, Colorado, Creighton

All of the schools have LOST to the Jackrabbits in at least one sport since the Jacks moved to D-1
          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks

That was perhaps the most ridiculous rationalization I have ever read or heard.  I guess if that is how one of the better FCS program thinks maybe it's not such a good idea to be a member of that division.  Maybe the Bowl series is the way to go right off the bat.  

I guess Stig was just too good for MSU to consider.  I suppose that is also why he is coaching a program that has one of the most mediocre football histories imaginable.  It won't matter because Meierkort will be beating SDSU in no time.  Then he will take down Montana State as well since they have such "so called low standards"  for their coaching candidates.  
            Sorry partner but it is right on.  Your coach didn't make it to the finals.  He was up against a Head Coach from a FCS Non-Scholarship school (got the job), Head Coach from a NCAA D-II school (took his name out/didn't want the job), Head Coach from a NAIA school (took his name out/didn't want the job), and an Assistant Coach (didn't get the job).

In all seriousness.  Montana State is a solid FCS program, but it is messed up right now.  So messed up that Coach Lennon figures that UND going through transition and not being playoff eligible (and once they are playoff eligible they will be playing in a conference without an auto bid) is still a better gig.  Montana State will pull out of this but it is going to be hard work and will take some time.

In all seriousness your Coach Meierkort is a good coach and has done good things with your program (of course he is a good coach, he did get his masters at SDSU) but his program is not on the same level as SDSU's.

In all seriousness Coach Stig's is coaching a higher level of football.  His team finished last season ranked #21 in the Nation at that higher level of football.  This coming season we are ranked in all the pre-season Top 25 polls that have been released (as high as #10 by Lindsey's) and this is our first season with a full amount of scholarships (63) at our new level.  Place on top of that that next year we will be playoff eligible and we are moving to a conference with an auto bid and you can see why Montana State had no chance at Coach Stig.  

You guys have been big fish in a little pond and all of that is about to change.  Enjoy your last season in D-II and best of luck to you.  Sorry if the truth hurts but you will be better served understanding where you are and where you are going.

Go State!  

P.S.  USD can't go FBS unless you get rid of the Dakota Dome.  You have to Avg. 15,000 fans per home game to be FBS, since the Dome only seats 10,000  .  .  .  You are in high school, you do the math.   ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              [quote author=SDSUcks link=1182280463/15#17 date=1182488415]  
              That was perhaps the most ridiculous rationalization I have ever read or heard.  I guess if that is how one of the better FCS program thinks maybe it's not such a good idea to be a member of that division.  Maybe the Bowl series is the way to go right off the bat.  

I guess Stig was just too good for MSU to consider.  I suppose that is also why he is coaching a program that has one of the most mediocre football histories imaginable.  It won't matter because Meierkort will be beating SDSU in no time.  Then he will take down Montana State as well since they have such "so called low standards"  for their coaching candidates.  
              Sorry partner but it is right on.  Your coach didn't make it to the finals.  He was up against a Head Coach from a FCS Non-Scholarship school (got the job), Head Coach from a NCAA D-II school (took his name out/didn't want the job), Head Coach from a NAIA school (took his name out/didn't want the job), and an Assistant Coach (didn't get the job).

In all seriousness.  Montana State is a solid FCS program, but it is messed up right now.  So messed up that Coach Lennon figures that UND going through transition and not being playoff eligible (and once they are playoff eligible they will be playing in a conference without an auto bid) is still a better gig.  Montana State will pull out of this but it is going to be hard work and will take some time.

In all seriousness your Coach Meierkort is a good coach and has done good things with your program (of course he is a good coach, he did get his masters at SDSU) but his program is not on the same level as SDSU's.

In all seriousness Coach Stig's is coaching a higher level of football.  His team finished last season ranked #21 in the Nation at that higher level of football.  This coming season we are ranked in all the pre-season Top 25 polls that have been released (as high as #10 by Lindsey's) and this is our first season with a full amount of scholarships (63) at our new level.  Place on top of that that next year we will be playoff eligible and we are moving to a conference with an auto bid and you can see why Montana State had no chance at Coach Stig.  

You guys have been big fish in a little pond and all of that is about to change.  Enjoy your last season in D-II and best of luck to you.  Sorry if the truth hurts but you will be better served understanding where you are and where you are going.

Go State!  

P.S.  USD can't go FBS unless you get rid of the Dakota Dome.  You have to Avg. 15,000 fans per home game to be FBS, since the Dome only seats 10,000  .  .  .  You are in high school, you do the math.   ;D[/quote]

Sorry but just because a team is in D1 FCS does not automatically make them better than a D2 team. I will not think USD is better than every D2 program because they merely offer more scholarships. Sure it's an advantage but the scholarship difference can be overcome in other ways. A very big one for instance is coaching. Stig was an average coach at the D2 level. He didn't suddenly become a great coach because SDSU moved up. The move is only a slightly higher level in my opinion but not one where it's a ridiculous talent/coaching difference. I look at D1 FCS as the old NCC across the entire division. I would bet the old NCC as a D2 conference would fit right about in the middle (maybe slightly lower) of the D1AA level. It's my belief that the top 10 teams in D2 would all be top 40 teams in FCS. SDSU as a mediocre program would not have been able to have as good of success as they have had if the level between the two divisions had/has been a very big leap. Lets use some common sense. SDSU with far fewer than the full allotment of schollies was able to compete after a year or two with basically the same fundamental football program than they had at D2. That speaks very loudly to the closeness of the levels between D2 (NCC) and D1 FCS. SDSU being a member of the most powerfull and deep D2 conference was given a huge head start compared to a team that would have tried to make the leap from a conference such as the RMAC or NSIC. SDSU's level of competition in the NCC is very close to the level at D1 so they were prepared very well for the move up. Sure they improved, no doubt about it but they were 70-80% on their way as a football transitional school just by coming from the NCC.

I want to make a statement regarding the difference between basketball and football and why I think it's tougher to make the leap in basketball than in football. In the old NCC the top football teams were basically automatic contenders for a national title because the conference was so tough that it prepared the winning teams very well. Look at USD, they have stunk it up for several years in the NCC. Despite having many 4-5 and 3-6 type years in the old NCC they still were very successfull in the non conference D2 portion of their schedule. It was a different animal alltogether as I am sure most of you remember. That difference in the level of the NCC and other weaker D2 conference was substancial. The NCC was really a D1 conference in spirit and competitiveness. That is one of the legitimate reasons why NDSU is a top 5 FCS program right now and SDSU is a top 20 program. They were trained very well.

Comment

continued...

Now that USD and UND are making the jump it is a very logical to believe that both programs will soon be top 25 programs as well, probably after a couple of years in FCS. That is assuming most of the current fundamentals within the program remain the same or get better. If SDSU and USD remain on about the same course and do renew the rivaly it will be surprising if the series gets slanted more than 7-3 one way of the other assuming the games are home and home on a rotating basis. USD just doesn't lose at home. That includes some very tough games. I think most people think USD only wins at home because they play weak competition but that is not true. I don't think UNO and UND have had games over the last 3 years where they have been so overwelmed as when they played in Vermillion. Aside from at Grand Valley the Sioux have never been as stunned as they were when they came down in 2005. Most UND fans were very convinced that they would win and got a huge surprise. I think alot of SDSU fans would likely think the same way. I think some don't think USD's program is for real.

Comment

By the way 89rabbit the Dakota Dome is only a permanent seating addition away from having a facility that would likely hold about 15,000. I am not saying that is going to happen but could in time.

Comment

We'll all have a better idea of how USD will do in FCS after the Coyotes' McNeese game on Sept. 29. Last year they lost to Central Arkansas (a very good first year transitional team). McNeese will be the first upper-level, full-scholarship FCS team they'll face. Should be interesting.

UND's win over UNI last year lends some credibility to what Ucks is saying. There is the old "any given Sunday (or Saturday)" line in football after all. But there is definitely a difference in team speed at the FCS level. D2 teams have some very fast players. FCS teams have some really, really fast players and 60 other very fast guys.

Personally, I think USD will transition well and will become a quality FCS program fairly quickly. Meierkort has shown that he understands the importance of putting speed on the field. That's one of the reasons USD has been successful the last few years.

But I'm guessing nobody on the Coyote coaching staff shares Ucks' impression of FCS as merely a lateral move from the top of D2.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                      SUPERBUNNY, I blame you for this!!! Now UCKS is going to fail his Driver's Ed test!
                      I take the full responsibility for starting this thread and with the permission of the Global Moderators, I make a move to kill it!!!!

Now it's time to get back to work!

Just a couple of months until football season!

GO JACKS!!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                        We'll all have a better idea of how USD will do in FCS after the Coyotes' McNeese game on Sept. 29. Last year they lost to Central Arkansas (a very good first year transitional team). McNeese will be the first upper-level, full-scholarship FCS team they'll face. Should be interesting.

UND's win over UNI last year lends some credibility to what Ucks is saying. There is the old "any given Sunday (or Saturday)" line in football after all. But there is definitely a difference in team speed at the FCS level. D2 teams have some very fast players. FCS teams have some really, really fast players and 60 other very fast guys.

Personally, I think USD will transition well and will become a quality FCS program fairly quickly. Meierkort has shown that he understands the importance of putting speed on the field. That's one of the reasons USD has been successful the last few years.

But I'm guessing nobody on the Coyote coaching staff shares Ucks' impression of FCS as merely a lateral move from the top of D2.
                        Solid logic by JJ here. The recent resurgence of the FB program at the U in no way guaruntees success at the FCS level. Too many variables. Playing the games will tell the story. On Saturdays this fall I'll be pulling for SDSU and whoever is playing USD. I can't help it.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Look Ucks, you can rationalize your decision to support USD all you want, but the fact is this is an SDSU message board. All the talking in the world won't change that. So at the end of your discussion, the facts still remain the same. USD still sucks. End of discussion. Nothing you say will change that, as much as you may wish this is not true, it is true on this board.

USD may think that the transition to D-1 has been made easier now that SDSU has blazed the trail for you. But remember, SDSU is the flag ship university in South Dakota. We are the leader and the future looks bright through these glasses. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Go State!!!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Let's see, last year instead of SDSU and NDSU, the Coyotes played Crookston and Quincy and beat them by a combined score of 125-6. The Jacks and Coyotes only common opponent, Central Arkansas, beat the Coyotes and lost to the Jacks. The 2007 Coyotes will find McNeese State (who the Jacks also beat last season) quite a bit tougher than the non-conference cream puffs they've been playing in recent years. But I expect USD will do fine in D-1 football, even though they probably will lose Coach Meierkort to a better school within two years. (It won't be hard for him to find a better school.) The Yoties also could wind up in the Big Sky Conference. Yuck. They might end up wishing they'd gone to the Northern Sun.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

USD is a better football school then SDSU so Meierkort has at least as good of a job than Stig has. USD has more accomplishments than that great history that SDSU has. BTW when was SDSU's last playoff game and what was the score of that game again. Did SDSU even gain a yard in that game that was probably about 4 decades ago. Nice history there and people are calling USD a crappy football program. Think again Rabbit fans, you football program has really never done anything all that great.

Comment

Oh silly Coyote fan you just don't get it do you.  

It is a FACT that SDSU plays football at a higher level then does USD.  The highest level in South Dakota for that matter.  It is not debatable.  We are a D-I FCS School you are a D-II school.  It doesn't matter what you do in D-II nothing can change the unalterable fact that we play football at a higher level then you do.

We don't care how you did against UND, we don't care how bad you beat UNO, it doesn't matter to us how you do in the D-II playoffs.  We no longer compete in that Division.  We have moved on.

To your way of thinking the University of Sioux Falls has the best team in the state and is the true "football school".  After all they have done far more with their team then USD has done.  Heck they have done far more recently then the Cornhuskers of Nebraska.  Would you like to make a case that the University of Sioux Falls is a better football school then Nebraska because they won the NAIA National Championship last year?

Get back to us once you have made the jump to D-I and played some games in our division, then your prospective may have more value.  However, I am not sure that will be the case.  

I have said it before and I will say it again.  Enjoy your last year in D-II, best of luck at winning a National Championship.  We are looking forward to another outstanding season of FCS ball in Brookings and the good Lord willing another Top 25 finish.

Wish us luck if you are man enough, or don't it really doesn't matter to us.

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                                X