Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's USD Super Bowl Week!

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
    All Im saying is their involvement doesnt have to use bully tactics. It doesnt seem to be all of them. All that needed to be said to me was "the tailgate lot is closed, please cleanup and head to the game." I have made it to every game on time, I might have missed this tailgate closure(30 minutes prior to kickoff) by 3 minutes. I guess that means I should be threatened to be hauled off to jail.
    "Absolutely, officer. Just let me finish this beer first." - is how 10% of the responsible adult tailgaters would act. 10% of 5000 tailgaters is a considerable (potential) problem.

Honestly, charging the UPD with clearing the tailgate lot is asking for trouble. There needs to be some kind of MAJOR announcement. I know they do it over loudspeakers inside the stadium, but that doesn't do much good with the noise in the backyard.

I've never had trouble with UPD. I've seen some others who have. I've always assumed it was because I was acting in responsible manner. Turns out the UPD is going out of their way to arrest choir boys, give me a break.

Bottom line: don't act like an a-hole and there is an extremely tiny chance the UPD gives you any trouble.

But, but, but:

I just want to clean up a little before I head in
    I didn't know the tailgate lot was closed
    I want to get a jacket at half
    I'm just going to grab one more beer

and a whole bunch more are likely to lead to a conversation with an officer. Act like an a-hole during that conversation and I'm sure you walk away with a poor experience.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
      I dont think we need to allow tailgating during the game. I guess i didnt know nebraska allowed it. Ive been to wuite a few notre dame games and tailgating isnt allowed during the game. I think youre asking for trouble by allowing students to drink all afternoon or evening in the tailgate area. I havent tailgated for a few years but dont remember a lot of problem back then except being told to get my beer in a cup. In fact i tailgated with gojacksgo a lot. He was never out of hand...haha
      I think the difference is the amount of private property nearby. At Nebraska there is a ton. At Notre Dame there isn't really any.

People could tailgate on private property all day long in Brookings, only problem is they would be a mile away from the game. That's usually just called partying.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        "Absolutely, officer. Just let me finish this beer first." - is how 10% of the responsible adult tailgaters would act. 10% of 5000 tailgaters is a considerable (potential) problem.

Honestly, charging the UPD with clearing the tailgate lot is asking for trouble. There needs to be some kind of MAJOR announcement. I know they do it over loudspeakers inside the stadium, but that doesn't do much good with the noise in the backyard.

I've never had trouble with UPD. I've seen some others who have. I've always assumed it was because I was acting in responsible manner. Turns out the UPD is going out of their way to arrest choir boys, give me a break.

Bottom line: don't act like an a-hole and there is an extremely tiny chance the UPD gives you any trouble.

But, but, but:

and a whole bunch more are likely to lead to a conversation with an officer. Act like an a-hole during that conversation and I'm sure you walk away with a poor experience.
        Does it really take 30 minutes to get from the tailgating to the stadium for the game? 5 minutes would be more then enough time. otherwise fans standaround inside or sit in the seats for a half hour. adults unless really causing serious issue with either bothering other fans or damaging state property are probably smart enough to make it to the game with out be hasseled about it. almost every one back there is there to go to the game. UPD if anything should watch the students more but unless a problem arises that is serious in nature like violence or medical condition or damaging property. The problem is that UPD is assuming everyone who tells them, I just want to clean up a little before I head in, I didn't know the tailgate lot was closed, I want to get a jacket at half, I'm just going to grab one more beer is doing it on purpose or acting irresponsible. When UPD is looking for trouble of course they are bound to find it. Many friends of mine who work in law enforcement have pointed out issues they have had with UPD.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

But, but, but:

If that's the response how is that a potential problem? Seriously, if the person is finishing his or her beer and then going to head in, is it necessary to follow up with anything else? In the story relayed earlier in this thread, it is clear the UPD officer thought it necessary to threaten an arrest. Completely unnecessary.

I like the sound of what USD does with their tailgating. Obviously didn't have any problems. If there were, we'd hear about it here.

Caveat: UPD didn't bother our group too much this year and we don't tear down in the West Lot until minutes before kickoff. They are much more concerned with dealing with the Backyard. Once last year, an officer really went after one of our tailgaters for having a glass bottle. The tailgater said she'd pour it into a cup. She was new and wasn't aware of the rule. First beer she opened. The officer continued to give her ****. It was stupid. I was embarrassed for the officer as the officer was acting like an idiot.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Does it really take 30 minutes to get from the tailgating to the stadium for the game? 5 minutes would be more then enough time. otherwise fans standaround inside or sit in the seats for a half hour. adults unless really causing serious issue with either bothering other fans or damaging state property are probably smart enough to make it to the game with out be hasseled about it. almost every one back there is there to go to the game. UPD if anything should watch the students more but unless a problem arises that is serious in nature like violence or medical condition or damaging property. The problem is that UPD is assuming everyone who tells them, I just want to clean up a little before I head in, I didn't know the tailgate lot was closed, I want to get a jacket at half, I'm just going to grab one more beer is doing it on purpose or acting irresponsible. When UPD is looking for trouble of course they are bound to find it. Many friends of mine who work in law enforcement have pointed out issues they have had with UPD.
            Virtually everyone here who has had a problem, the initial conversation with UPD was due to the fan not following the rules. If the rules are dumb, change them. But don't blame the UPD for doing the job they have been charged with.

Honestly, it is silly they use law enforcement to clear the lot. Put some flashing lights on top of the Dykhouse, buy a siren, set it off 20 minutes before kickoff.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Does it really take 30 minutes to get from the tailgating to the stadium for the game? 5 minutes would be more then enough time.
              I think it's more like this:

X = # of alcoholic drinks consumed during tailgating
              Y = strength of alcoholic drink (1 for beer, 2 for liquor, 3 for any hooch)
              Z = the normal length of time it takes you to walk from the Backyard to the stadium without alcohol consumption
              W = length of walk (in minutes) from the backyard to stadium
              H = # of people that may "assist" you on the walk to the stadium

(X*Y*Z)/H=W

I'm sure my math is a little off

Comment

Interesting read:

http://thedailygorder.com/2013/11/17...sd-experience/

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  If that's the response how is that a potential problem? Seriously, if the person is finishing his or her beer and then going to head in, is it necessary to follow up with anything else? In the story relayed earlier in this thread, it is clear the UPD officer thought it necessary to threaten an arrest. Completely unnecessary.

I like the sound of what USD does with their tailgating. Obviously didn't have any problems. If there were, we'd hear about it here.

Caveat: UPD didn't bother our group too much this year and we don't tear down in the West Lot until minutes before kickoff. They are much more concerned with dealing with the Backyard. Once last year, an officer really went after one of our tailgaters for having a glass bottle. The tailgater said she'd pour it into a cup. She was new and wasn't aware of the rule. First beer she opened. The officer continued to give her ****. It was stupid. I was embarrassed for the officer as the officer was acting like an idiot.
                  You should have told your fellow tailgater that they needed a cup before a UPD officer had to come over to talk to them. Or that individual should have familiarized themselves with the rules prior to participating in the event.

Listen, I don't doubt UPD could be more pleasant in their interactions, but many of the rules should be changed to reduce those interactions as much as possible. If they see someone breaking the rules, they are going to come over. That's just reality, that's their job.

I was under the impression things had improved as I hadn't witnessed anything this year and hadn't heard much complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    Very interesting. "Sarah" in the comment section may have missed the entire purpose of the article.

Comment

You should have told your fellow tailgater that they needed a cup before a UPD officer had to come over to talk to them. Or that individual should have familiarized themselves with the rules prior to participating in the event.

Listen, I don't doubt UPD could be more pleasant in their interactions, but many of the rules should be changed to reduce those interactions as much as possible. If they see someone breaking the rules, they are going to come over. That's just reality, that's their job.

I was under the impression things had improved as I hadn't witnessed anything this year and hadn't heard much complaining.
                      Ha! Good point. We should have let her know, but our group is pretty big. I'm with you on the less rules thing. I get the glass bottles rule. No issue. I just don't feel like continuous patrols are needed. Its bizarre. I've not encountered that any other place I've tailgated.

Comment

Very interesting. "Sarah" in the comment section may have missed the entire purpose of the article.
                        Yep, I think "Sarah" should re-read it again. She obviously missed the point.

Comment

Virtually everyone here who has had a problem, the initial conversation with UPD was due to the fan not following the rules. If the rules are dumb, change them. But don't blame the UPD for doing the job they have been charged with.

Honestly, it is silly they use law enforcement to clear the lot. Put some flashing lights on top of the Dykhouse, buy a siren, set it off 20 minutes before kickoff.
                          The office still has the ability to use discretion on how to handle situations and potential conflict, usually they are taught to avoid escalating a situation. Waiting for fans to back up or head to the stadium if they aren’t out of the lot exactly in 30 minutes seems a bit uncalled for. If a person gets a warning and continues to not follow the rules fine, but to go out of the way to make it an issue is unnecessary. If a fan said something first or went out of their way to cause a scene I have no problem with it, but when UPD goes looking for it, that’s different. Often Brookings police are aware of house parties and potential underage drinking, I know for a fact that if say they get a noise complaint and a bunch of college kids drinking doesn’t mean they are going to try to bust a party even though the law says you can’t drink underage, so if they are just a little noisy not causing problems and are more than civil, they often let them resume with the if we have to come back for more complaints it could be a problem. That’s the point officer discretion.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I'm convinced she only read the title before starting to type.

Comment

Its again how the officer handled it, easily could have said just a reminder to use a plastic cup. her fault for not knowing, but it doesnt excuse UPD from being a jerk about it. If she had been warned many times or acted bitchy to UPD fine, but that did not apear to be the case.

Comment

Talking about rivalry, I talked to a couple SDSU football players Saturday night in Verm and we talked about USD-SDSU and they basically said that NDSU is a bigger rival than USD.

Honestly, the best part of playing USD/NDSU rivalry is reuniting with friends and traveling to Fargo/Verm or them traveling to Brookings for the weekend, go out, party and engage in friendly smack.
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X