Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's USD Super Bowl Week!

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I never been into tailgating, not saying it does not belong to football game day, but it does. I try not to be the "irritated AA guy" at the frat party. I hope the SDSU Athletic Dept. did learn from our friends to the South. There are many ways to improve game day. I always thought that Jim Abbott was a classy guy, and a few years back was surprised when he was selected to be President. A business guy, thrown into the academic world, and I think he has done well, even with tailgating based on the reports in this thread.

As far as the UPD, they seem to be aggressive about everyone and everything, such as entering the stadium with your ticket and if your pockets appear stuffed with bombs, they want to see what you have. Except for an invitation from the Schroeders a few years back, I have stayed out of the Backyard, but I not liking what others are telling me on this board.
    I'm not blaming the UPD as much as I am reporting how much more positive the experience is everywhere else. I think there is room for vast improvement to the gameday experience in Brookings and I believe that starts with less supervision of responsible adults that happen to be your biggest supporters financially. It is an issue for many, it is impacting support and it will get worse if something palpable isn't done or at least offered.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I'm not blaming the UPD as much as I am reporting how much more positive the experience is everywhere else. I think there is room for vast improvement to the gameday experience in Brookings and I believe that starts with less supervision of responsible adults that happen to be your biggest supporters financially. It is an issue for many, it is impacting support and it will get worse if something palpable isn't done or at least offered.
      No argument here, in fact, its disturbing that people are not happy with the UPD. This could be a fund raising issue. Like I said, the UPD likes checking out those bulging pockets and bottles of the students coming into the game. Maybe its good police work, and we have fewer incidents, but people should not feel uncomfortable with the UPD.

And I get the USD experience, I am glad that you and others had a good time.

I watched the game using Coyote Vision, which seem to work better than Neolion that SDSU uses. Joe Van Gore was a bit too much( I know he is SturgisJeff's cousin), but I could not tune him out because of the delay from what was going on at WNAX. I also was following TV and Mick on the Argus blog. Definitely a time delay between the stream and those two sources. Whenever SDSU screwed up, I muted the computer, so I did not have to listen to Polka Joe and his excitement over a coyote play.

Comment

We tailgated in a spot just north and east of the dykhouse Center last year. One game, I wasnt aware of the time and to be honest, no UPD had been by the whole day. At least, if they had, they never said anything. Anyway, I go to my cooler and open a beer and here comes a UPD lady chewing me out and threatening to arrest me because tailgating was closed. I said "Im sorry, no one came by and told us." She proceeded to tell me that coach Stig was on the Jumbotron saying that tailgating was closed.

I wasnt aware I needed to watch the Jumbotron during tailgating and I know we were one of only probably 10 groups that could have even seen the Jumbotron from our spots. The next game, I did notice Coach Stig say the tailgate lot was closed, still not an appropriate way to close up considering most cant see it.

Another time, I went out to get a coat at halftime and pretty much got stalked all the way to my car. They apparently didnt beleive I was cold enough to warrant going to get my coat.

On the other hand, my wife is a USD grad so we usually hit one USD game per year when SDSU is away. 10x better atmosphere -Abbott stopped by and talked to our group(im a no namer), the band and players always walk through, pd doesnt bother anyone and it seems to work just fine. Im my opinion, USD fans are missing out on a great atmosphere, if only SDSU would copy that. It feels like a big game atmosphere, even with the smaller tailgating crowd theyvhave.

Comment

Talking about President Abbot, he is quite the character. His red pants were awesome and was friendly while making some jokes with some of my friends about their Jacks attire.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Interesting discussion, particularly in a smack section. But, I too have been thinking that the game-day experience needs some sprucing up at SDSU. Sounds like there are some things we can learn from the way they're doing it at USD.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
              We tailgated in a spot just north and east of the dykhouse Center last year. One game, I wasnt aware of the time and to be honest, no UPD had been by the whole day. At least, if they had, they never said anything. Anyway, I go to my cooler and open a beer and here comes a UPD lady chewing me out and threatening to arrest me because tailgating was closed. I said "Im sorry, no one came by and told us." She proceeded to tell me that coach Stig was on the Jumbotron saying that tailgating was closed.
              This doesn't exactly bolster any case for less UPD involvement, especially if you are relying on them tell you when tailgating is closed. If anything, your story shows exactly why UPD is needed back there. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your story.

I've tailgated in the west lot the past 3 years. UPD rarely, if ever comes by. They've only stopped and chatted once when the crowd was extremely small. I have seen them give complete shakedowns though.

For those that are overly concerned about UPD, I suggest e-mailing AD Sell your concerns. I'm hopeful that withholding donations would be a last resort for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                This doesn't exactly bolster any case for less UPD involvement, especially if you are relying on them tell you when tailgating is closed. If anything, your story shows exactly why UPD is needed back there. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your story.

I've tailgated in the west lot the past 3 years. UPD rarely, if ever comes by. They've only stopped and chatted once when the crowd was extremely small. I have seen them give complete shakedowns though.

For those that are overly concerned about UPD, I suggest e-mailing AD Sell your concerns. I'm hopeful that withholding donations would be a last resort for all of us.
                All Im saying is their involvement doesnt have to use bully tactics. It doesnt seem to be all of them. All that needed to be said to me was "the tailgate lot is closed, please cleanup and head to the game." I have made it to every game on time, I might have missed this tailgate closure(30 minutes prior to kickoff) by 3 minutes. I guess that means I should be threatened to be hauled off to jail.

Comment

when we tailgated in the library lot a few times a few years ago it always seemed to go well no issues there, most people had a good time. a few years ago the student lot next to the hyper where students tailgated was horrible looking, cups and beer boxes trashed everywhere no garbage, many student walking around in a drunken daze, wasnt really impressed with that, but since having a kid we dont get to the stadium and park unitl 15 min to kick off usually so dont really see all the stuff going on. I know when i was in the pride, we would do a march through most games. we would wind through the tailgaiting lot past the alumni tent up to the stadium underneath playing the school song. at that point we would go into the stands. not sure why they dont do that now before they get to the stadium. they could march through while playing, before they go to line up for the pregame field show.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                    All Im saying is their involvement doesnt have to use bully tactics. It doesnt seem to be all of them. All that needed to be said to me was "the tailgate lot is closed, please cleanup and head to the game." I have made it to every game on time, I might have missed this tailgate closure(30 minutes prior to kickoff) by 3 minutes. I guess that means I should be threatened to be hauled off to jail.
                    I agree, I have witnessed them be very heavy handed at times. However, using the excuse of "no one told me......" will generally make any law enforcement individual get a little uptight.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      I agree, I have witnessed them be very heavy handed at times. However, using the excuse of "no one told me......" will generally make any law enforcement individual get a little uptight.
                      I guess i didnt realize or i hadnt noticed the time, thanks for the reminder and we are heading to the game. It depends on the exact wording, but unless someone is really being a jerk to start with UPD doesnt need the attitude. They easily could have said, it in a friendly reminder sort of way.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Even though a few of the UPD have surly methods dealing with the patrons, the big reason they push the people out of the backyard is to grow attendance at the game. That is the main reason. The second reason would be to have the security centralized at the game. The tailgate area could be a robbery scene whether the the tailgaters are there or not during the game. I would guess anyone could sneak in or out. I do not see a Lincoln, Ne(game long tailgating) scene arriving at CAS until the stadium fills up for the games. Meanwhile, we can hope for a bit of civility from all of UPD in the execution of their job. It is a bit irritating to be herded about by a grouchy campus security person. Although, I can say that there are plenty of helpful UPD employees as well as we secured a ride to the gate for a fellow who had a bad "wheel" one day.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I dont think we need to allow tailgating during the game. I guess i didnt know nebraska allowed it. Ive been to wuite a few notre dame games and tailgating isnt allowed during the game. I think youre asking for trouble by allowing students to drink all afternoon or evening in the tailgate area. I havent tailgated for a few years but dont remember a lot of problem back then except being told to get my beer in a cup. In fact i tailgated with gojacksgo a lot. He was never out of hand...haha

Comment

Tailgating during the game is a bad idea - we've seen the problems that causes at SDSU a few years back during the Hobo Day game and rowdiness that ensued in the backyard. However, allowing folks to come out at halftime, or at the very least, stay for an hour or two after the game is very reasonable. I get very annoyed when I rush out CAS and then sit in traffic for 30 minutes while trying to leave the backyard. I would much rather enjoy and hour or two with my fellow jackrabbit fans, fire up the grill again, and visit about a great victory.

Make people (politely) leave the tailgate area at kickoff, but allow them back out at halftime and then don't worry about them coming back in if too much of a hassle for security. That will get most of the day long heavy partyers out of the area initially and open up the option for folks to enjoy halftime, the second half, or some additional time in the backyard if they choose. Plus, it will still bring in the ticket revenue for the game. I'm all for a game ticket needing to be required in order to tailgate (show it when you enter the lots), but that may be a bit too restrictive.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              I dont think we need to allow tailgating during the game. I guess i didnt know nebraska allowed it. Ive been to wuite a few notre dame games and tailgating isnt allowed during the game. I think youre asking for trouble by allowing students to drink all afternoon or evening in the tailgate area. I havent tailgated for a few years but dont remember a lot of problem back then except being told to get my beer in a cup. In fact i tailgated with gojacksgo a lot. He was never out of hand...haha
                              Tailgating should not be allowed during the game. The idea behind tailgating is to improve the GAME experience. Halftime tailgating, I'm lukewarm on that as well. However, there is no reason they need to be in your face and on your butt when you are trying to take down and pack up for the trip home. Set a closing time 2 hours after the game and make sure people abide by that. If some filter out into the lot during the 4th quarter its no big deal. Stop harassing the responsible alumni tailgaters that are there for the fellowship experience not just to get drunk and rowdy. Keep the students and alumni clearly separated accept for "mingling" if your concern is with juvenile student behavior. It doesn't have to be and shouldn't be the way it is now.

If any of you are thinking its such a privilege, quit complaining or it might go away...I dare them to try that with the push for funding a new stadium eminent.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What is the rule regarding tailgating after the game? How much time do they allow you to pick up and leave?

Comment

Working...
                                X