Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison score without ball

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    Did it say.....YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE FROM HERE? (what a great theme) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzWe're you the first to have a billboard?We're you the first university? Uh, nopeSo really in your minds, you really have been chasing us since 1862.
    Funny part was from 1862 to 1884 there was no University and no classes, an institution on paper only.

Comment

Just checking facts.

USD authorized in 1862...but, first class held 1882 in the court house. (Ahh, a tradition of decisively and promptly moving forward?...actually, the fault of the legislature for passing the authorizing law but refusing to provide funds...20 years later, citizens in Vermillion raised money and got USD started.)

SDSU's foundation is in the Morrell Act in 1862 which created the system of land-grant universities -- but SDSU was specifically founded in 1881 by action of the Dakota Territorial Legislature...when was the first class held? It appears from my research the first classes were held in 1883 ... the first building was completed in 1883 (although there are some sources that state the building was completed in 1884).

Keep in mind South Dakota didn't achieve statehood until 1889.

compare: NDSU established 1890 after North and South Dakota became states -- and its first classes were held in 1891. UND, on the other hand, was authorized by the Dakota Territorial Legislature in 1883 and its first classes were held in 1884.
      Last edited by JackJD; 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Did it say.....YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE FROM HERE? (what a great theme) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
        How's that 605 thing working out for you ? I know I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Just checking facts.

USD authorized in 1862...but, first class held 1882 in the court house. (Ahh, a tradition of decisively and promptly moving forward?...actually, the fault of the legislature for passing the authorizing law but refusing to provide funds...20 years later, citizens in Vermillion raised money and got USD started.)

SDSU's foundation is in the Morrell Act in 1862 which created the system of land-grant universities -- but SDSU was specifically founded in 1881 by action of the Dakota Territorial Legislature...when was the first class held? It appears from my research the first classes were held in 1883 ... the first building was completed in 1883 (although there are some sources that state the building was completed in 1884).

compare: NDSU established 1890 after North and South Dakota became states -- and its first classes were held in 1891. UND, on the other hand, was authorized by the Dakota Territorial Legislature in 1883 and its first classes were held in 1884.
          Thanks for setting the record straight. The origin of USD in 1862 has always been suspect in my mind. The population of Dakota Territory was primarily around Yankton-Vermillion in 1862, but with the OA Rolvaag settlers taking over Minnehaha County, the legislature quickly shifted in terms of power. Sioux Falls became the source of power which I believe yielded to Bismarck later on and good olde Sioux Falls wanted the prison so darn bad, that they let Mr. Scolbye have the land grant university, aka SDSU. If others can recall early days of Dakota Territory, jump in. I have edited it because I had to leave suddenly and was in the process of posting. Yes statehood did indeed come in 1889.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM. Reason: Had to leave before I edited my post.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            How's that 605 thing working out for you ? I know I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I heard it.
            Personally speaking I think it's weak. But then again you dial it up everyday.About as weak as......WE WERE FIRSTThe other thing I don't get at all is your love affair for NDSU. Makes no sense at all. Can't believe how you kiss their butts and chap em.

Comment

yf: that "love affair for NDSU" of which you write is the one reason why some Jacks fans may not be disappointed if USD upset the Bison in Sioux Falls. We've just been butting heads with them too much -- and continuously -- so I think you misundertand the relationship. Personally, I'll laugh harder at NDSU expense if USD wins. If NDSU wins, ho-hum.

Comment

Has anyone invited any US Senators to the game? Some are raising significant questions about "donations" made by non-profit health-care organizations.
                Last edited by JackJD; 04-28-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Hey yotes SDSU's tag line is "Be Great. Start Here" - has been for a few years. Please, try and keep up, I know it is hard for you guys.

http://state.sdstateconnect.org/wp-c...ent-OctWEB.jpg
                  Last edited by LakeJack; 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Has anyone invited any US Senators to the game? Some are raising significant questions about "donations" made by non-profit health-care organizations.
                    You could only be speaking of Sanford and Son, and I dont mean Demont Wilson and Red Foxx. The son in this case would Kelby Krabbenhoft.

Comment

Just checking facts.

Just for record it was Morrill Act (not to be confused with John Morrell & Co. ) and it passed in this incredible burst of legislative activity over six weeks in the summer of 1862 that included the Homestead Act, authorization of the transcontinental railroad, and banning of polygamy (they had their social issues then, too). In that same stretch Lincoln freed slaves in D.C. and territories, a precursor of the Emancipation Proclamation. On top of all of that, the Seven Days' battle raged right in the middle of this legislative activity in Congress, a battle that was so brutal and so inconclusive both sides were forced to realize that the Civil War was not going to end any time soon. Contrast to today's Congress.

Comment

Personally speaking I think it's weak. But then again you dial it up everyday.About as weak as......WE WERE FIRSTThe other thing I don't get at all is your love affair for NDSU. Makes no sense at all. Can't believe how you kiss their butts and chap em.
                        I would praise SDSU if they were playing UND and so would 99.9% if Bison fans. Besides, everyone should outside the champ!

Comment

^ praise, not outside.The forum won't let me hit save on my phone when editing a post.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                            ^ praise, not outside.The forum won't let me hit save on my phone when editing a post.
                            Sure that wasn't a sumbliminal mistake and your true feelings about indoor football were revealed?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Hey yotes SDSU's tag line is "Be Great. Start Here" - has been for a few years. Please, try and keep up, I know it is hard for you guys.

http://state.sdstateconnect.org/wp-c...ent-OctWEB.jpg
                              Meanwhile in Vermillion, President Abbot calls a meeting of his brightest group of faculty.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thanks for driving down from Sioux Falls on short notice. Last night, I had a brilliant idea - truly a moment of creative clarity. We need a shiny new slogan. Fortunately, I've got the perfect one. You may want to sit down, its that good. Here it is - You can go anywhere from here."

Smiles slowly spread around the table. First a slow clap starts, eventually leading to a standing ovation. Hugs, high-fives, and jubilation ensue. Somebody pops a champagne bottle. President Abbott beams with pride as he picks up the phone to order a series of billboards that will feature the slogan.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The other thing I don't get at all is your love affair for NDSU. Makes no sense at all.
                                Its almost like we care about more than one opponent... Weird, huh?
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X