Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: You can have all the wins ya want but ya aint winning in Vermillion

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I get that you are making a joke (I think).

When SDSU lost to Manhatten in Sioux Falls, I brought friends who had never been to an SDSU game. Their response was, "what a great game, SDSU has better athletes than I expected." Our team then was nowhere near what our team now is.

Those same guys have been to multiple basketball games in Brookings, and would attend another game in Sioux Falls. They also bought all session passes to the last 2 Summit League Tournaments. With another group of guys I don't know, and who also have no affiliation to SDSU. They all own at least one piece of Jackrabbit clothing.

That's how losing games in Sioux Falls will help USD gain the casual sports fan.

I get murdered every time I bring it up, but we aren't winning the Sioux Falls fanbase. We just aren't losing it, yet. All it will take is a couple year stretch of equal quality, and aggressive marketing by USD to take it.
    The men winning back to back summit confrence tourneys will help. Maybe I am silly but I judge this stuff by how many people I see wearing sdsu clothes compared to usd like out shopping or resturatnts etc.... Needless to say in sf I can not recall one time or place wear I have notcied usd more then sdsu.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe you can't play a game which would be called your "home" floor and then play the Summit Tourney on it. So.. how would USD play in Sioux Falls?

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

speaking of All sessions ticket holders. watching the tournament from here in Michigan on the internet Midcon feed and then on tv on FSDetroit on sunday what a contrast in spectators. if you got the ticket, use the ticket, go out on sunday, fill the stands, cheer for all the teams playing and give them the same excitement that the teams get when the big crowds are there. raises attendance numbers, makes Sioux Falls look better to other schools fans watching on television or the internet, and makes the other schools feel better about the tournament being in soo foo because of the people being there at their games. ESPN likes big crowds (even though they have no idea who the teams are or their logos) seeing big crowds like that at all sessions may get them to do more games. end of rant

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
          I believe you can't play a game which would be called your "home" floor and then play the Summit Tourney on it. So.. how would USD play in Sioux Falls?

I think USD can play 2 games a year on the arena floor but that is it. SDSU likes their home games in Frost so their home fans and season ticket holders don't have to travel to SF. When SDSU played Manhatten in the Arena, it was over X-Mas break. They figured that with the students gone that would be a good time to move a game down there.

As far as recruiting/buying/etc... fans, I have no problem with that. I like how Oakland's women's team goes to a church when they are in SF and people from that church cheering them on. It's nice that they are pen pals with some younger school kids. I think that they know the tournament will be here for a few years and they are trying to get some more fans in the stands.
          Didn't the Augie/Western Illinois fans add some excitement to the game? SDSU fans were chanting at them to add to the environment. If the tournament was always held in Chicago, how many SDSU fans would complain?

I can't wait until about 10 months from now when this post will be moot. USD loses Krogman, Westbook, and Andretti for men and HEGGE, Roache and Boss for women. I think SDSU will go 5-0 against USD next year. The men could be the #1 and #8 seeds in the tourney for the 5th loss. Either that or #1-SDSU could play #5 USD in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

I am pretty sure it would be considered a neutral site...

Also Duke would typically play some games at the greensboro coloseium if that is where the confrence tourney. I think there are rules to how many games you can play somewhere befores its considered a home court.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I would think that days like Monday and (especially) Tuesday did a lot in terms of winning more Sioux Falls fans. The Jacks just grabbed the attention of casual SD sports fans.
              Many of them will find themselves pulling for SDSU next week out of pride for their home state. The non-stop Jacks coverage coming for the next week will help solidify that. Next year you'll see some of these new fans wearing blue at Frost, the Dakota Dome, and the Arena. That's inevitable with the NCAA tourney exposure SDSU got and will continue to get.

SDSU just played 6 big do-or-die games in Sioux Falls, all of which will easily have at least 2X more fans in attendance than any USD/Colgate stinker will have next December. Still, yes I would be all for the Jacks playing one non-conference game down there. It never hurts to continue to build momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I am pretty sure it would be considered a neutral site...

Also Duke would typically play some games at the greensboro coloseium if that is where the confrence tourney. I think there are rules to how many games you can play somewhere befores its considered a home court.
                NCAA bylaws require a "home arena" to be within 30 miles of the "institution's main campus" so according to the NCAA the Sioux Falls Arena is technically not a "home arena" for either SDSU or USD.

However, the Summit League does have a rule regarding the number of games a team may play on the court to be used in the conference tournament. I do not recall offhand what that number is--it might be zero. I just don't remember.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  NCAA bylaws require a "home arena" to be within 30 miles of the "institution's main campus" so according to the NCAA the Sioux Falls Arena is technically not a "home arena" for either SDSU or USD.

However, the Summit League does have a rule regarding the number of games a team may play on the court to be used in the conference tournament. I do not recall offhand what that number is--it might be zero. I just don't remember.
                  I figured it was a confrence rule that allowed or not allowed teams to have games on a tourney site. I know that is why Duke will play a mid major on neutral site early in the year before the confrence tourney, allowing a game similar to a first round match up similar to what it might find in a NCAA tourney and gives the guys a game to get a feel for the ACC tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    speaking of All sessions ticket holders. watching the tournament from here in Michigan on the internet Midcon feed and then on tv on FSDetroit on sunday what a contrast in spectators. if you got the ticket, use the ticket, go out on sunday, fill the stands, cheer for all the teams playing and give them the same excitement that the teams get when the big crowds are there. raises attendance numbers, makes Sioux Falls look better to other schools fans watching on television or the internet, and makes the other schools feel better about the tournament being in soo foo because of the people being there at their games. ESPN likes big crowds (even though they have no idea who the teams are or their logos) seeing big crowds like that at all sessions may get them to do more games. end of rant
                    As my kids get older and more self sufficient, and the missus isn't so busy and is tired of me. I plan on going to many more sessions. I would have loved to see the Oakland game. Until then family time is more important to me, and basketball isn't all that important to my family. Once the kids could care less where I am (I assume this is around the 10 to12 and above ages), I'll be able to go to more games.
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I was at the airport yesterday and saw someone wearing a shirt..."Jack Be Nimble Jack Be Quick" on the front "Jack Can Suck A Coyote D***" on the back. It took everything in my being to not say something. First of all, really? I have seen this shirt before, at basketball games. You're really wearing that in the Phoenix and Sioux Falls airports? Second of all...Jack Be Nimble Jack Be Quick, You Coyotes Can Watch The Jacks Dance While Sitting On Your D***. And it was a female wearing the shirt. I'll leave that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                        I was at the airport yesterday and saw someone wearing a shirt..."Jack Be Nimble Jack Be Quick" on the front "Jack Can Suck A Coyote D***" on the back. It took everything in my being to not say something. First of all, really? I have seen this shirt before, at basketball games. You're really wearing that in the Phoenix and Sioux Falls airports? Second of all...Jack Be Nimble Jack Be Quick, You Coyotes Can Watch The Jacks Dance While Sitting On Your D***. And it was a female wearing the shirt. I'll leave that alone.
                        They're so cute when they . . . well . . . er . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That is an old shirt, I've seen it many times. Still makes me smh.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I saw an adult wearing that shirt in Scheels a while back. My wife would never let me go out in public wearing a shirt like that.

Comment

That is strange. Although it is nice to see USD grads branching out. Moving from the Drive-Thru to the Alamo Rental Head Detailer has to be huge for the alumni association's fund raising
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This whole thread is what makes me different than most(?) USD fans.
                                I heard that Louie Krogman tweeted after SDSU lost to Baylor something like, "now it's time to celebrate". Probably the best win in his BASKETBALL CAREER would be his win in the dome over SDSU. I don't think that SDSU's win over USD, this season, would even be in my top 5 conference win this year. Would a home loss suck? Yes, but it wouldn't effect much in terms of who SDSU had problems beating, conference seeding, etc... I thought a little more of Louie since he grew up in South Dakota and couldn't play in the NCAA Tournament anyway but I guess he just was/is jealous. Maybe he wasn't recruited by SDSU or something like that but it just seems childish to me.
                                I was actually rooting for USD's Women. I think Hegge is one heck of a player. It would have nice for her to get a few more games in.
                                I know there are SDSU fans who are anti USD, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X