• Show
Clear All

Re: SUU T-birds @ The D-Dome

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Good point
    I answered

Comment

Can one navigate a Harley on a CAS turf or does SDSU want a Harley on that slop?
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        Because maybe (?) they have a major sponsor that is a Harley dealer? In 1978, we were led on to the field by the South dakota Highway Patrol. Now if you think about it, what does that say about your school? You are in a Dome, noise is going to be a factor.........so the Harley's are setting the tone. In all candor ( I know we are in smack ) do you really have an issue with this, or is it just a convenient thing to throiw darts at? Because I have to tell you that there is nothing more obnoxious ( or Junior High ) than hearing cowbells inside a basketball arena. Think about that one. That is J-High stuff.
        I say you use whatever you can to get the crowd pumped up. Harleys or whatever. The Minnesota Vikings use one. One thing to keep in mind about home field atmosphere, it's THEIR home field. Whatever works for them is what works for them.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

SDSU plans to unveil this new unit to lead the Jacks on to the field at this weekends game against UNI
          ATV.jpg
          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
            Well I could go all lakes on your A** then...............................10,000 BISON FANS TO YOUR PODUNK LITTLE TOWN TO TAKE OVER AND STEAL YOUR BITCHES................BISON HOME GAME......but I wont cause I think nice weather, hunting and still Beet harvest will drag down the travelers I could be wrong might hit 1-1.5k
            lakes would put it at 20000000, conservatively of course.
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              But I will be there and want to witness first hand just how well behaved all of you will be throughout the game. So if the Cowbells thing is done, then I give you that.
              SDSU won the Summit League sportsmanship award last year. I'll give you a few hints about how you win that. You do NOT yell the f-word in unison as a group as in "F*** the bunnies" like USD's students did at the women's basketball game two years ago. You don't win it by having your AD sit in the next section laughing while it's going on. And you don't win it by having a coach talk about the awesome "inebriated" fans in your home arena (see today's Argus for Meierkort lauding USD's drunken fans).

I know our fans aren't blameless. I wish all the fans could just cheer FOR their own team rather than shouting obscenities at the other team or the other fans or whatever. I would like to keep bringing my 7-year-old to the games.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's the quote JimmyJack is referring to from the Mick Garry articles in today's Argus:

"When you see how fun this can be, I can't understand why it can't be like this every week," USD coach Ed Meierkort said. "There are 10,000 inebriated people having a great time, jumping up and down. I know if I wasn't doing this for a living I'd be at these games...."

The coach asked a good question: why don't they have 10,000 fans (inebriated or not) in there every time there's a home game? They have a fabulous home-field winning record. What more will it take? I think the coach's questions say something (and it isn't positive).
                Last edited by JackJD; 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Here's the quote JimmyJack is referring to from the Mick Garry articles in today's Argus:

"When you see how fun this can be, I can't understand why it can't be like this every week," USD coach Ed Meierkort said. "There are 10,000 inebriated people having a great time, jumping up and down. I know if I wasn't doing this for a living I'd be at these games...."

The coach asked a good question: why don't they have 10,000 fans (inebriated or not) in there every time there's a home game? They have a fabulous home-field winning record. What more will it take? I think the coach's questions says something (and it isn't positive).
                  I don't disagree that the Yote fanbase needs to step up and make all games a priority. I ask this because I don't know. How were SDSU Great West home games attended your last few years in the conference? I imagine the NDSU games were well attended. They travel well. I imagine Hobo Day games were attended very well. How were the others? SDSU has a great fanbase but come November if it isn't NDSU I imagine 3000-5000 is the norm. Good luck the rest of the season.
                  Southern Pecan

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                    I don't disagree that the Yote fanbase needs to step up and make all games a priority. I ask this because I don't know. How were SDSU Great West home games attended your last few years in the conference? I imagine the NDSU games were well attended. They travel well. I imagine Hobo Day games were attended very well. How were the others? SDSU has a great fanbase but come November if it isn't NDSU I imagine 3000-5000 is the norm. Good luck the rest of the season.
                    I don't have the specific numbers but average attendance has exceeded 10,000 the last 5 years. Averaged over 13,000/game last year as member of the MVFC. That number needs to increase the best chance to do that is to improve the stadium and schedule last season contests against programs like NDSU and USD where fan interest can overcome inclement weather or apathy during mediocre seasons. November games are notoriously poorly attended. This year Hobo Day is Nov. 5th. Next year we play the yotes in November. Certainly will help numbers.

I don't waste anytime worrying about what other programs want to do to try an increase fan interest. SDSU needs a better stadium with more seats and better amenities. Doesn't matter what other programs need.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thanks for the reply JackMD. I'm not concerned what other teams need to do either. I asked the question to see if there was a decent bump when state joined the MVFC. Lord knows we have enough work to increase our own to worry about others.
                      Southern Pecan

Comment

The coach asked a good question: why don't they have 10,000 fans (inebriated or not) in there every time there's a home game? They have a fabulous home-field winning record. What more will it take? I think the coach's questions says something (and it isn't positive).
                        If I realized I was going to school at USD, I'd drink heavily, too.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The "inebriated" comment isn't a huge deal. I don't think Meierkort meant anything by it. But it's not a smart choice of words, particularly considering the level of concern about binge drinking that there is within the university system. We have had some tragedies, so it's probably a good idea to keep that in mind and not make it seem like there's something wrong with you if you aren't one of the 10,000 "inebriated" fans.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                            Thanks for the reply JackMD. I'm not concerned what other teams need to do either. I asked the question to see if there was a decent bump when state joined the MVFC. Lord knows we have enough work to increase our own to worry about others.
                            Exactly what I was trying to convey. I wasn't directing the comment about focusing on our own issues towards you. I'm a little concerned that too much interest is being directed to the way they do things elsewhere and not enough on how SDSU needs to be doing this in Brookings. Looking forward to seeing an old friend in our place but there is a lot of time between now and then.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

"When you see how fun this can be, I can't understand why it can't be like this every week," USD coach Ed Meierkort said. "There are 10,000 inebriated people having a great time, jumping up and down. I know if I wasn't doing this for a living I'd be at these games...." Ed Meirkort, Argus Leader, 10/10/11.
                              Some T-shirt possibilities there. Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes. USD: Land of 10,000 drunks?

More serious thought: Would you take your children to that place? No doubt an exaggeration but sheesh, coach, pick some different words to convey your thought about the fun atmosphere! [The actual number was probably 7,781 drunks.]
                              Last edited by JackJD; 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                The "inebriated" comment isn't a huge deal. I don't think Meierkort meant anything by it. But it's not a smart choice of words, particularly considering the level of concern about binge drinking that there is within the university system. We have had some tragedies, so it's probably a good idea to keep that in mind and not make it seem like there's something wrong with you if you aren't one of the 10,000 "inebriated" fans.
                                I agree this comment is not a huge deal, but rather a poor choice of words. If he had referenced 10,000 emotional fans in the stands, we would not be discussing past USD behaviour. It was without a doubt a poor choice of words. Is the pastor of Ed's church a big drunk? I doubt it, and no doubt the pastor who ever he may be is now being characterized as being one by Ed's poor choice of words.
                                Or is President Abbott a big consumer of Schnapps? One could conclude that from the term "inenibrated fans" in the stands. Its often been said by referees that they pay no attention to crowds because they are often irrational. Its this biased and irrational behavior that is the subject of reference.

Congradulations to USD and your huge crowd on Saturday. I feel for coach for not putting more thought into his comments. When Mick sticks a cell phone in your face for comments, its awfully easy to choice the wrong words. We forgive you Ed after all you are an SDSU alum. I believe he got his ME at SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X