Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD "Keep it Classy" Campaign

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Sort of, but not really. You see what you showed us was college kids pulling a prank, the billboard was done by USD's leadership. I guess like MoVaJack, I expect more from the Princeton of the prairie. I'm not surprised they are so classless, just disappointed.
    That's NoVaJack to you but second the emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
      I think this is what USD wants. They are hoping something will happen to the sign so they can use that to fire up their fans. They are trying to bait someone into doing something that moves it from a sports story to a front page story. I agree with KUlawJack, the petty ugliness has started and now will probably never stop. I guess the saying is true in that you can't teach an old dog or coyote new tricks.
      I also agree with el_presidente and KULawJack. Think about this: the reason SDSU fans had no interest in interacting with USD for so many years was because of the nastiness that most of the SDSU fans were convinced was one-sided. I had hoped that the break would cause the end of the approach USD seemed to take -- as an institution (either overtly or by not reacting in a reasonable manner to what its students and other representatives did) . It is clear that hope is wrong. One of the USD fans posting in this thread has twice written using "farmers" as a derisive term. I know professors at USD's School of Business who can explain to the nitwit the importance of agriculture to this state. I am proud of and have always been proud of my alma mater's deep support of farmers and agri-business. When the nitwit wants to use farmers as a derisive term, I just shake my head and pity the writer. The reason I pick on that poster is because what his posts signify: they're back -- or, they never got it out of their system. Ugliness, here we come again, and it looks like it is official and sanctioned by the institution.

Tonight I watched KELO TV and the item about the new Apple store in SDSU's student union. SDSU fans have to keep in mind we continue to charge ahead and lead this state and region. USD, meanwhile, is spending its time and money on a billboard.

I hope there is no reaction, no vandalism etc., to the sign. Let them pay their sign rent. We know they cannot afford to pay it for long.

Comment

Placing it near Brookings is childish at best, and classless. That's the main problem I have always had with the "visible majority" and I use that term purposely, from USD, who think that they have "class", when they don't even understand what the word means. Justin Sell will treat this with class...laugh at it and ignore it. SDSU got the Summit League's Sportsmanship Award this past year, and no matter what they do athletically, USD will never get it as long as they continue with their past (and I had hoped so much not their current) boorishness.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
          Talked to a few poor souls who went to the EWU game at the DakotaDump this Saturday. They couldn't believe that half the student section left at halftime even though the home team was leading the #1 team in the nation.
          What do you expect? The keg was probably tapped at Delta Tau by then.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            ...SDSU got the Summit League's Sportsmanship Award this past year, and no matter what they do athletically, USD will never get it as long as they continue with their past (and I had hoped so much not their current) boorishness.
            Thanks, Jacks#1Fan. Good perspective.

Comment

Re: USD already trash talking for next years game

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I'm still having a hard time getting too worked up over this. I think the way to improve the rivalry and stay away from the really nasty stuff is to shrug off this kind of thing as good fun between old rivals. It's not obscene. It's clever. Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, it's just silly. As I just tweeted to Stu, we used to throw frozen wildlife at each other. So really, this is pretty tame.
              Put me in this camp. I guess I don't really care. Good for a quick chuckle and then, back to life.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Can someone explain to me why the University of South Dakota's athletic department is spending money on a billboard for an away game in the rival schools city, that is over a year away that will sell out anyways? I just don't get it. Is it "funny"? yeah; but is it smart? Generally these billboards aren't cheap and generally they are to promote your school in general not a football game or athletic game of any type.

Comment

Good question, Joe. Don't hold your breath for an answer from a USD official.

Related question: did Learfield Sports have anything to do with the billboard? Both schools have contracts with Learfield. Is this their style? (I have no information on this...just asking the question.)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    Can someone explain to me why the University of South Dakota's athletic department is spending money on a billboard for an away game in the rival schools city, that is over a year away that will sell out anyways? I just don't get it. Is it "funny"? yeah; but is it smart? Generally these billboards aren't cheap and generally they are to promote your school in general not a football game or athletic game of any type.
                    It might not be as expensive as you think. They probably have a contract with the outdoor advertising company for a certain number of messages. So this one might simply replace another billboard that came down someplace else. Whatever the cost, they have certainly gotten their money's worth of attention for the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't stay there very long. They're trying to fire up their fan base. Again, it's not obscene. It's not offensive. It's a pretty tame message. And they're promoting OUR home game.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      Good question, Joe. Don't hold your breath for an answer from a USD official.

Related question: did Learfield Sports have anything to do with the billboard? Both schools have contracts with Learfield. Is this their style? (I have no information on this...just asking the question.)
                      Thats a very good question, to which I have no answer but do offer this. You would think Learfield Sports would be smarter than this but sometimes staff can get off the track in their objective to help both schools promote their programs. They have done some good things so far at SDSU. I Notice better coverage by audio across the state and also the weekly coaches show. These are two noticable changes so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        It might not be as expensive as you think. They probably have a contract with the outdoor advertising company for a certain number of messages. So this one might simply replace another billboard that came down someplace else. Whatever the cost, they have certainly gotten their money's worth of attention for the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't stay there very long. They're trying to fire up their fan base. Again, it's not obscene. It's not offensive. It's a pretty tame message. And they're promoting OUR home game.
                        I agree its an attempt at humor and also to promote the upcoming event.

Comment

Clueless and Classless always go together. For anyone who thinks anything has changed in 8 years. You're wrong.

http://www.volanteonline.com/news/bi...alry-1.2627151

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Is the director of marketing for a public university inviting vandalism on a publicly funded sign? Wasn't the whole idea to keep the old antics out of this?

Comment

I'm not saying its not creative and not creating buz. But why do it for an away game that is over a year away? That is just what I don't get. I'm wondering how many USD students will drive up to Brookings this November because they think there is a game.

Comment

I give our red-wearing step-child to the south credit for a humorous billboard. I chuckled.

Here's what I don't get. They just got done beating the #1 team in the country and all of their focus is on a billboard in Brookings talking about a game in Brookings 14-months from now.

It's no wonder why one institution is flourishing and the other is languishing. They keep saying they aren't following SDSU. Bull-ogna, the damn billboard even shows the Coyote following the Rabbit.

Stupid frickin' puppies! Just goes to show you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Screw the U!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X