Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why not State and the U"

Argus-Leader column:
    College athletics should be fun. Thinking up reasons not to play the school down the street, or up the interstate, contradicts that basic principle.Sanchez and Gross, they get that.

My bet is they're going to have a nice crowd at the Arena, about half of which won't attend another game all year.
    Heck, I might even show up.

Imagine if the higher authorities who run the athletic programs at South Dakota State University and the University of South Dakota shared the same clarity of vision.

I've said this before, but the Augie-USF announcement just rams the point home. USD and SDSU have got to put aside whatever egotistical barriers are keeping them apart and start trying to schedule some games.
    At the very least, say you're trying. Throw us a bone.

Here we have two universities, with decades of history and a vast network of alumni in the state. They are at different stages of moving to NCAA Division I and facing new challenges that come with it, not the least of which is how they are going to keep paying the bill.
    Coyotes and Jackrabbits at Howard Wood Field on a September afternoon? It would make the Dakota Bowl look like a pre-season scrimmage.
    Columnist Patrick Lalley inadvertently and it appears quite unawares, has stumbled into the truth. The State-U rivalry ceased to be about fun a long time ago. It got nasty, not fun. When it's about hating the other side and not about respect, then it's not fun. I know that I along with many others on the State side just got tired of it.

Anyway, the point is--why do something that isn't fun?

And, Patrick, Howard Wood isn't big enough to host any potential State-U game anyway.

Yes, there is a lot of "not getting it" out there, and a lot of it is on the side of those banging the drum to renew the State-U rivalry.

It will happen--when the time is right for both schools. That time is not now. Perhaps when USD is later in their transition--2010, 2012, maybe, as the "JackPhD" commenter notes on the Argus story.
    Last edited by filbert; 08-25-2007, 10:50 PM. Reason: Correcting the name of the Argus columnist.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: "Why not State and the U"

I agree with you Filbert, this game has not been fun for a long time. I graduated in the 70's and I can't remember a time when we looked forward to the game. Even when we were winning regularly.

There is a lot of "not getting it" out there and I think you have to look at both sides.

Besides that, screw 'em. Don't want to or need to pay them.

Comment

I agree with the prior posts and have a few random thoughts to add:

I do not hear SDSU fans begging that the Jackrabbits play the Coyotes in football or men's or women's basketball. I do not hear USD fans begging for games against the Jacks. No doubt there are SDSU fans and USD fans who want the school to play one another A.S.A.P. But, if they're out there, it seems they're a very quiet and small group.

I wonder what connection the columnist has with either SDSU or USD. I would maybe give more consideration to his comments if he was a person who was a regular fan of SDSU v. USD contests. Anyone know?

The atmosphere was ugly, nasty and no fun. Good riddance!

Comment

The USD Volante has already addressed the possible renewal of the old rivalry and school doesn't start for about another week and a half:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...687489.shtml?s
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
          The USD Volante has already addressed the possible renewal of the old rivalry and school doesn't start for about another week and a half:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...687489.shtml?s
          Just so no one misses it, the date of this story is January 2007.

As for Mr. Lalley, I believe he has stated in previous articles that he is an alum of USD and that he just doesn't believe that the issue of who is a counter, conference/payout games, etc. are real and that it is only the ego of SDSU that prevents this. He needs to sit down with his co-worker, Mr. V, and learn about the process and why it may not be possible or beneficial to schedule the games.

My impression from Mr. Lalley's columns is that even if Mr. V told him it was not in the best interest of SDSU, or USD, it would because Mr. V just "doesn't get it." With that attitude, nothing can be done.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Oops! I looked at the wrong date on the website.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I want to see State-U games again in all sports ASAP. I believe many people feel this way. Why wouldn't both teams biggest rival want to play each other? Please don't give me any crap that NDSU is our biggest rival, it just ain't so.

Comment

Personally, I am not in any hurry to start playing the U again. It does nothing for me but stir up those old feelings. I don't see any advantage to SDSU playing them in the near future.

That is only my opinion and I am not arguing with anyone about this. We are all entitled to our own opinions and if you feel differently, that is fine.

Comment

I think the games will be played again but only when they are right for SDSU. I see no reason to play them until they count as Div I games and I don't see offering them a level playing field (home n home for example) until we are both on the same level (Full D-I members).
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

As a student, I would love to play them. It's sad I was never able to be a part of it while I went to school here. It would really increase the student's interest in the games.

Comment

I started a related thread that was closed?? It wasn't the article I thought you might find interesting but the take on it from a USD blogger. Regarding starting old rivalries I think its rather comical how the UXD's want to get back on our schedule after the endless commentary a few years ago about how it was a bad move and we'd be begging to get back into the NCC. Looks like the tables have been turned and look whos begging.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
                        I started a related thread that was closed?? It wasn't the article I thought you might find interesting but the take on it from a USD blogger. Regarding starting old rivalries I think its rather comical how the UXD's want to get back on our schedule after the endless commentary a few years ago about how it was a bad move and we'd be begging to get back into the NCC. Looks like the tables have been turned and look whos begging.
                        I closed the other thread and pointed a link to this one merely because the Argus-Leader editorial discussed in the blog entry was already the topic of this thread over here.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                          As a student, I would love to play them. It's sad I was never able to be a part of it while I went to school here. It would really increase the student's interest in the games.
                          What will increase interest is going after conference championships and getting into the playoffs, neither of which will be aided by playing USD until they get through transistion. I vote no, no, no.

The fact that the Argus editorial board is for it is all the proof I need that its a BAD idea right now. Their motivation is clear generate economic development for Sioux Falls by getting the game played in a stadium with 2/3rds of what Coughlin holds. Vote No early and often!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                            I am not singling you (SDSUJack3031) out, because you obviously have a high interest in Jacks athletics, but the student's interest in games should be at all an all time high by the level of competition the Jacks are playing against (a Div I schedule in all sports).

Comment

It will happen again, just because they're close proximity, and after they're into transition a couple of years, likely to be a reasonable warm up for the Gateway or Summit Conference.

However, there is little reason to start this up when the U doesn't count.

I am very please to see the home/home with Cal Poly in 08 & 09. They came thru for the Jacks when they should have said no. More than can be said for our co-NCC founding cohorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X