"Why not State and the U"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Why not State and the U"

The loss of revenue possibility though is more to look at. 5,000 x $8= $40,000.... Last night USD would of had to turn away $40,000.... UNI game 900 x $8= $7,200

So saying that the average cost of the tickets not available at the dome is $8 USD would of turned away $47,200 in the first 2 games. Thats leaving money on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The loss of revenue possibility though is more to look at. 5,000 x $8= $40,000.... Last night USD would of had to turn away $40,000.... UNI game 900 x $8= $7,200

So saying that the average cost of the tickets not available at the dome is $8 USD would of turned away $47,200 in the first 2 games. Thats leaving money on the table.
      You make a good point, I'd go a step further and put bigger numbers on your ticket prices there though. GA tickets for Jacks games are $12, and reserved are $15. K-12 is $5. I'd guess that most of the tickets sold are the adult GA. So you are probably looking at closer to $10 a ticket average or another 10 grand in gate revenues over your numbers, plus whatever is made off of concessions and merchandise. It sounds like the bookstore was packed before the game yesterday. I was in there last weekend and they have alot of new nice stuff.

Regardless the money adds up in a hurry, hopefully the attendance stays up all season!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        First, we play at UC Davis. They were here last year.

Cal Poly visits us here on Oct. 20. No reason to assume terrible weather or lousy attendance that day. We've often had Hobo Day that late. Granted, November games are iffy. The Southern Utah game is the only dud left. Having NDSU in November helps since that last game is typically pretty poorly attended.

To reach last year's 9,600 level, we'd need 57,600 total. After next week, we'll already be at nearly 41,000 (assuming at least 15,000 for Hobo Day), leaving just a 5,000 average needed for the final three games to beat that average. If we get a solid crowd Oct. 20 for Cal Poly, say 10,000, we'd only need to average 3,500 for SUU and NDSU to beat last year.

I'd say that's a pretty attainable goal. I'm guessing we'll average more than 10,000 overall.
        October 20th is the pheasant opener, always a big deal in SD.

Comment

Its a night game, student attendance will be down but a lot of alumni come back for pheasant opener also.

Comment

They really don't want to give up on this one at USD. This is a blog that I ran across by accident while looking for something else:

http://volantesports.wordpress.com/

October 18th, 2007
            USD can play with SDSU
            A couple weeks ago, the Argus Leader ran a story about South Dakota State Athletics. What a shock right? I look through the Argus and I don’t see an SDSU story in sports I have to pinch myself.

Anyways, in this story, Director of Athletics Fred Oien ran his mouth again about USD. What he had to say was his normal stupidity out of his mouth. He said that the reason SDSU doesn’t schedule USD for any sport is because USD cannot compete with SDSU.

Really? Where did Fred Oien pull that from? Is he still bitter that people said SDSU shouldn’t go Division I and most of that came from this area? Maybe he is still bitter about borrowing all of that money to save their athletic program this year after he said that everything was going GREAT!!!!!! in fund-raising. Oien even got the Argus to go along with his lie. Well once again he brought the Argus into it again.

(read more)
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I particularly enjoyed the following from the blog you linked:

...Oien can’t really use our road record against USD. All Oien has to do is look at his own football team. They are 2-4 right now and have yet to win on the road. How would they fare in the hostel environment of the DakotaDome....

Hostel. (Okay, we all know he intended "hostile" but...) Generally, a hostel is a place that provides inexpensive sleeping accomodations, usually in a group setting (think: American college kids wandering around Europe for the summer, staying at 'youth hostels'...bunch of bunk beds with a bathroom and shower down the hall). Hostels are plain, inexpensive, sometimes dirty etc.

So now you have it: a USD partisan describing the environment at the dome: the 'hostel' environment!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                They really don't want to give up on this one at USD. This is a blog that I ran across by accident while looking for something else:

http://volantesports.wordpress.com/

October 18th, 2007
                USD can play with SDSU
                A couple weeks ago, the Argus Leader ran a story about South Dakota State Athletics. What a shock right? I look through the Argus and I don’t see an SDSU story in sports I have to pinch myself.

Anyways, in this story, Director of Athletics Fred Oien ran his mouth again about USD. What he had to say was his normal stupidity out of his mouth. He said that the reason SDSU doesn’t schedule USD for any sport is because USD cannot compete with SDSU.

Really? Where did Fred Oien pull that from? Is he still bitter that people said SDSU shouldn’t go Division I and most of that came from this area? Maybe he is still bitter about borrowing all of that money to save their athletic program this year after he said that everything was going GREAT!!!!!! in fund-raising. Oien even got the Argus to go along with his lie. Well once again he brought the Argus into it again.

(read more)

I too remember having ***** Envy when I was a freshman in College. Wow, I am now dumber for having read this.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You think they hate us now?

Just wait until they go through three or four years of a brutal transition period and are struggling big time! Then they will envy SDSU even more and learn to appreciate the quality of our leadership team and their plan which brought us through transition in better shape than could reasonably be anticipated.

THEN they will have JACKS ENVY or whatever Propar80 is referring to!

I once again wish USD the best in transition but am terribly afraid they are going to struggle mightily. I hope they have a succesful transition but just don't see strong enough leadership to get them throught to the other side. My prediction is things will be ugly in Vermillion in a couple years.

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

One note of caution to the USD faithful about their almighty mens bball team. SDSU went into its last year of D-II ranked #1 by more than just the sports network. We had a senior laden team that year and look how that turned out for us. There is a large contingent on this board (self included) that the men's basketball team would be all right in transition and possibly even a strength and now we are looking forward with excitement to a potentially .500 year.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

The only thing that could be added is that there is no question that transitioning to D1 is harder for men's basketball than any of the other major sports. That combined with the multitude of other obstacles that have happened to SDSU's team has made it even tougher.

Eqguy is right on the money. USD is staring straight down the barrel of the same gun that shot us. Hopefully their transition will go smoother.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                        He (Dr. Oien) said that the reason SDSU doesn’t schedule USD for any sport is because USD cannot compete with SDSU.
                        These kids are journalists and they're just making stuff up. Anybody here ever read a quote from Dr. Oien where he says that? I haven't.

These USD arguments just make me feel like it's 1995 again. We've moved on, Coyotes. Make your own D1 future and quit trying to horn in on ours.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          These USD arguments just make me feel like it's 1995 again. We've moved on, Coyotes. Make your own D1 future and quit trying to horn in on ours.
                          Good statement, but...USD realizes that they need us to have a D-I future. They joined the football conference we helped found plus they think that they're going to be joining the Summit League with our help. (maybe when NDSU replaces Minnesota in the Big Ten)

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                            Good statement, but...USD realizes that they need us to have a D-I future. They joined the football conference we helped found plus they think that they're going to be joining the Summit League with our help. (maybe when NDSU replaces Minnesota in the Big Ten)
                            We didn't need them. Why do they need us? They have UND. Have fun, Coyotes.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Besides all that, I promised myself after we played UC Davis at Howard Wood in '05 I'd NEVER go to another football game at that place again.

PERIOD.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                              X