Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Why not State and the U"

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    I agree with Filbert, the plan will be to get dome down to just football, with basketball having its own new facility first, and farther down the road new facility for track, swimming, etc. Not sure how long it will take them to get there, but I would imagine that would be the plan.
    This is where I get lost.... When SDSU went D-I they had all the facilities not all of them were great but they had them.... The problem with USD is not only do they not have them there really isn't a campus to build a basketball/volleyball facility or a baseball field or a track... And you know that if any state funding is given for the facilities the other state universities are going to be crying foul.

Comment

When I stated that SDSU had no "great" rivalries left when leaving D-II, I was referring to the decline of our then-existing rivalries. USD was still the top rival, but interest had waned. Augie was another rival, but the series was becoming pretty one-sided. Those rivalries had been great in previous decades, but they had faded in the eyes of Jackrabbit Nation as interest waned and pettiness/tackiness/disrespect increased.

SDSU and USD will play again, but the 'Yotes have to pay their dues just like SDSU had to do without any help from its former NCC friends. 2012 or 2013 (at the earliest) sounds like a good time to start to think about resuming things.......

As for the DakotaDome, the power-that-be at USD during the 1970s wanted a multi-purpose stadium just like the UNIDome (except smaller) even though it would offer reduced capacity for football (they did draw a crowd of 15,000 for a game against SDSU), would be a horrible facility to watch basketball, and allow for little flexibility in schedule. UNI made that realization and built a new basketball arena that opened last season. USD needs to do the same as they move to D-I. The DakotaDome will suffice for football if upgrades continue to be made, but USD has a lot of facility work to do and money to raise if they are to be on the same level as SDSU and NDSU (and even UND).

Comment

I think that USD is working on the solution. I don't have any documentation, but I heard that they have secured property to the south of the dome (a trailer court) so that they would have room to build a BB facility. Talking to a big doner for that. Football could still be played adequately in the dome. I am not sure how they could get 15,000 in the dome, but that is their business. Still don't want to play them though...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
          I think that USD is working on the solution. I don't have any documentation, but I heard that they have secured property to the south of the dome (a trailer court) so that they would have room to build a BB facility. Talking to a big doner for that. Football could still be played adequately in the dome. I am not sure how they could get 15,000 in the dome, but that is their business. Still don't want to play them though...
          I have heard the same from Dr. Abbott himself. The expectation is to have a new arena for basketball (volleyball?) in the area south of the dome. When he spoke to a group of individuals here in Yankton (just before the move up was officially announced) he said the "money was in place". I just haven't heard or seen any concrete details.

I don't want this to become "smack", I just don't care to travel to Vermillion if USD can't provide some improvement in security around campus while SDSU is in town.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I went from thinking that the rivalry (which I remember fondly, flying mascots, beheaded chickens, marching outhouses and all) should be resumed, to thinking SDSU should pull out of all contracts with any ex-GWFC teams asap, in order to stop any comparisons with the UxD's. Just hope only one set of teams gets into a playoff situation. Probably won't happen.

Putting it bluntly, neither NDSU or SDSU should play either of the UxD's again, in anything. Ever. Including club hockey. I haven't lived in South Dakota for forty years and didn't believe you. You can bet the rest of the country is getting tired of these tirades, however.

This from SiouxSports. Similar bombastic language occasionally gets out into other boards. All sides look bad here. Simply stop communicating with the other side. This looks bad!

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index....0&#entry270943

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
              I went from thinking that the rivalry (which I remember fondly, flying mascots, beheaded chickens, marching outhouses and all) should be resumed, to thinking SDSU should pull out of all contracts with any ex-GWFC teams asap, in order to stop any comparisons with the UxD's. Just hope only one set of teams gets into a playoff situation. Probably won't happen.

Putting it bluntly, neither NDSU or SDSU should play either of the UxD's again, in anything. Ever. Including club hockey. I haven't lived in South Dakota for forty years and didn't believe you. You can bet the rest of the country is getting tired of these tirades, however.

This from SiouxSports. Similar bombastic language occasionally gets out into other boards. All sides look bad here. Simply stop communicating with the other side. This looks bad!

I read the Sioux's fan board and all I can say is WOW! This is why I like our rivalry with NDSU. Hate the Bison on gameday but Cheer for them and respect them on any other day.

Comment

I think there's four big doses of hatred to go around. Everyone's to blame IMHO. Again, I think this is very damaging to both states.

Comment

I will disagree with you big time on your statement. When SDSU was looking for games against D-I Sub Division teams these teams played us. When SDSU was looking for home games these teams came up here. From my knowledge (not much I will admit) the coaches and players like playing Great West teams especially the California schools.... Just because USD and UND will be playing these teams I don't think SDSU should just shut them out.

If I was the AD I would at least continue to play the California schools they seem to draw really good at home and it is rewarding for the football players and staff to get that away game somewhere where it is warm.

USD can compare scores all they want its a big waste of time plain and simple.

Comment

Both schools will have to club Southern Utah by at least fifty points, or be humiliated. Believe me if you don't, they'll be laughing at Sioux Sports. Get out of the GWFC matchups as quickly as possible. There are plenty of other opponents they can schedule.

Comment

Both schools will have to club Southern Utah by at least fifty points, or be humiliated. Believe me if you don't, they'll be laughing at Sioux Sports. Get out of the GWFC matchups as quickly as possible. There are plenty of other opponents they can schedule.
                      Who cares what they think on Sioux Sports? We will be in the Gateway competing for a Playoff berth and they will not even be D-I counters next year.

Go State!
                      Last edited by 89rabbit; 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if your tone is meant to be sarcastic or not. If so, kind of funny. If your serious, kind of juvenile. I for one couldn't care less what is said on the sioux board or the usd board. Our AD and coaches will schedule opponents as they see fit. If, in the future, UND or USD fits then I'm betting we will be playing them. I look forward to continuing the games against GWFC teams. I really enjoyed the UC-Davis fans and players and look forwad to seeing their group again. I'm not one bit worried about the outcome against SUU. Nice wins for UND and USD this weekend.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Perhaps my comments are a bit Swiftian (Jonathan, not Tom). However, I'm increasingly disturbed by the pissing contests breaking loose on AGS and other boards. Looks unseemly. With common foes, things will just stay nasty.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...t=20276&page=9

Originally Posted by Shockerman

I know that UND had a pretty snotty attitude when the Bison went DI, so is that what all the bickering is about on this board? Perhaps the school are better off not in the same conference because of the bad blood. Just be like Iowa/Iowa State. Play each other once a year in each sport and then just let it go after that until the following year. The ugliness between the two schools is, pretty ugly.

Be thankful you have somebody to hate. We lost are main rival Tulsa to the Wac and then to CUSA. As of late we have begun a rival with Mo-State, when football gets cranked up again, no doubt it will go to a higher level.

Great post, Shockerman. The two schools should agree to go "seperately together"...nothing wrong with that. I think you should move to Hillsboro, North Dakota and be our instate commish. :thumbsup:"

Comment

Not playing USD and UND is understandable but punishing ourself by not playing anybody that they play is only hurting us. Lets take Cal-Poly for example... We have a home and home with them so they come to South Dakota and we get to go to California a game that players and coaches both like.

Comment

I hope we can continue to schedule a game every year with Poly or Davis. With the exception of the first game against Davis, all have been entertaining to watch and listen to.

I agree with jackmd. I could care less what is said on the sioux board. If we start playing them again I will visit the sioux board, until that time I have better things to do.

Comment

It is no surprise by earlier posts that I am not in favor of playing the U's. However, we may be playing them sooner than we think according to Coach Mierkort, who was at the Yankton Quarterback Club last Wednesday. He made it sound that the Gateway and the Summitt Leagues are "courting" USD already. Although I was unable to attend, a good friend of mine was there. He told me the coach said that the Gateway wants the "flagship" school from SD in a bad way and that the Summitt will have them in sooner than later. The conferences like to have the schools with the professional people in the conference. The coach also noted that the school to the north will not be able to do anything about it since they have no clout within the conferences. Someone was telling me this at church yesterday morning and my wife had to cool me off before I said something I shouldn't. That is why I checked with my close friend today to make sure this was true.

Comment

Working...
                                X