Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prairiehaas
    replied
    $830k is good money. Especially if your average attendance when playing a Saturday schedule was at or less than 10,000. But, the attendance at Jacks games this season blows that away.

I know Bison fans that say they hope this down turn in Bison football quiets the call to move up. They don't want to move up if it means playing in a crappy conference in the south or east.

I may be wrong, I think time is on our side.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

My question is why would any FCS program fork over $5 million to move up when this whole thing likely gets completely overhauled in 2 - 5 years.
    If you listen to the Fargo media, you have to move now so that you're FBS when the other dominos fall.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

You mean fans might not be excited to attend mid-week home games ?
    The question is would a reported $830k payment entice admin. enough to counter reduced attendance impacts

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

MACtion's impact on attendance would make me leery of that conference
    You mean fans might not be excited to attend mid-week home games ?

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

Also noted Deleware will be the first to pay the $5 million move-up fee (was $5K).
    My question is why would any FCS program fork over $5 million to move up when this whole thing likely gets completely overhauled in 2 - 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    MAC will not be expanding. There is no interest in anyone leaving or allowing anyone else in. If there was, Youngstown would be in now.

MWC may get disrupted by the rump Pac-12. The schools in west half of that conference may find it appealing to join WSU & OSU. Meanwhile CSU is also looking to go P5 (might be wishful thinking). If that happens. And if the east half doesn't follow the west, there may be an opportunity for the Dakotas & Montana. That would mean a significantly larger athletic budget. It may mean expanding the sports offered by some of the schools. Though I think State would be ok. Also, might mean a trip to Hawai'i every other year to play football.

Downside is no football playoffs ever, just crappy bowls. That least until the SEC & B1G drop NCAA football and form their own league (taking the TV money with them).
    MACtion's impact on attendance would make me leery of that conference

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied
    MAC will not be expanding. There is no interest in anyone leaving or allowing anyone else in. If there was, Youngstown would be in now.

MWC may get disrupted by the rump Pac-12. The schools in west half of that conference may find it appealing to join WSU & OSU. Meanwhile CSU is also looking to go P5 (might be wishful thinking). If that happens. And if the east half doesn't follow the west, there may be an opportunity for the Dakotas & Montana. That would mean a significantly larger athletic budget. It may mean expanding the sports offered by some of the schools. Though I think State would be ok. Also, might mean a trip to Hawai'i every other year to play football.

Downside is no football playoffs ever, just crappy bowls. That least until the SEC & B1G drop NCAA football and form their own league (taking the TV money with them).

Leave a comment:

• DieselJacks
    replied
    Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
    FCS is getting more and more watered down unfortunately. In the last 10 years the FCS has lost Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State, Kennesaw State, and now Delaware. All have had varying degrees of success in the FCS. The D2 move-ups in the same time-span are not good enough to replace the losses.

I know the SDSU community is split on moving to FBS, but I hope the people in charge are seriously looking into it. For the program to continue growing, a move-up will become necessary at some point. Look at NDSU, they stagnated in the D2 days due to not moving up, and are starting to stagnate now after reaching the ceiling for what an FCS program can reach. Hopefully we can avoid that.
    I would be OK with SDSU moving up to FBS, but not to C-USA in its current state. Too much travel and we would probably only have the NDSU rivalry. Mountain West and MAC would be preferred, but I understand money talks.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

Also noted Deleware will be the first to pay the $5 million move-up fee (was $5K).
    I found it interesting they opted not to submit athletics finances to Knight-Newhouse/USA Today database, but it still sounds like they have the budget to afford that

Leave a comment:

• jacksfaninne
    replied
    Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
    Delaware moving “up” to Conference USA, per Pete Thamel.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied
    I think the Mountain West will be looking for schools in the near future and a combination of the Dakota and Montana schools would be a good fit.

Leave a comment:

• JacksFan80
    replied
    Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
    FCS is getting more and more watered down unfortunately. In the last 10 years the FCS has lost Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State, Kennesaw State, and now Delaware. All have had varying degrees of success in the FCS. The D2 move-ups in the same time-span are not good enough to replace the losses.

I know the SDSU community is split on moving to FBS, but I hope the people in charge are seriously looking into it. For the program to continue growing, a move-up will become necessary at some point. Look at NDSU, they stagnated in the D2 days due to not moving up, and are starting to stagnate now after reaching the ceiling for what an FCS program can reach. Hopefully we can avoid that.

Leave a comment:

• DieselJacks
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SoDak
    replied
    Obviously, since the Mountain West is at 12 football members and there are only two Pac-12 teams, the expansion would be in order to get up to 16 teams. Dellenger cited both South Dakota State and North Dakota State as the top candidates. He did explain that they or whoever would join would have to start in the lower division, but how the other teams are decided is a work in progress.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...327f8bcd4&ei=8

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied
    Filbert makes a point. The next shoe to drop should take some time. The MWC has 8 schools west of the Rockies. There are four more east of the Rockies. Given the opportunity I would guess most would consider joining with OSU and WSU a step forward. Would WSU and OSU feel the same? Maybe not, but where else? The potential issues include dollar commitments. Would all the MWC schools be willing to commit the money needed to keep the media interested in the conference and move together? If not, that may cause a split. Then there could be east/west fracturing and the Big Sky and western MVFC schools could come into play.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X