Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
    I looked on the USD website and it didn't say anything about the conference.

Is it broadcast on the web anywhere or a link to a radio station?

Your help is appreciated.

SUPERBUNNY
    Don't know about radio. Here's as close as I can come on USD's web site: http://www.usd.edu/aboutU/study.cfm
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[quote=jackrabbitdw]Sunday Argus story on USD's move up.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...611260315/1162

USD's next move
      Decision hinges on costs, ability to raise money

By STEVE YOUNG
      syoung@argusleader.com
      PUBLISHED: November 26, 2006
      VERMILLION - John Lillibridge wasn't asked to develop a funding plan as co-leader of a task force looking into a possible move to Division I athletics by the University of South Dakota.

But when it comes to paying for the multimillion-dollar transition, the Burke banker has a few ideas - some of them more serious than others.

"We're going to have one huge bake sale," Lillibridge said recently, after his task force voted 21-4, with one abstention, to recommend the move to Division I.

Then, referring to USD President Jim Abbott and Athletic Director Joel Nielsen, he quickly added: "It's really quite simple. It's a question of whether Jim and Joel can get the money from donors and boosters and others.
      A great quote by SDSU's Fred Oien.

"I think there's a lot of upside potential" to being able to raise money for a Division I athletic budget at USD, Muenster said. "I think we have not begun to reach the top contribution levels possible here.

"Most public schools have not reached that potential. Most are relatively new in this fundraising enterprise. So if the U goes Division I, which would require more contributions, I'm optimistic that can be accommodated within what I call the Coyote Nation."

Of course, he's talking about more than bake sales. It will take generous donors, alumni, fans and boosters from all the country to make it reality, he said.

And that, SDSU's Oien added, is only the starting point.

"The one thing we know," he said, "is that hope is not a strategy when it comes to making a move like this."
      And an editorial in todays Argus.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...611260315/1162

Talk to us, President Abbott
      Public should know thoughts on moving USD to Division I

PUBLISHED: November 26, 2006
      When will Jim Abbott decide? What will go into that decision? What is he considering? What is he thinking?

No one knows - at least, no one who's talking. Abbott, president of the University of South Dakota, has let it be known that he won't talk publicly about his pending decision on whether the school should move from Division II athletics to Division I.

He won't say a word, he says, until he decides - which, to meet conference and other requirements, ought to come by the end of December.

That's a mistake, and it's doing the USD community - as well as South Dakota - a disservice.

I found this article very interesting because not whats going on at USD, but rather whats going on at SDSU. Its noted that SDSU is at a mid point at the 20 million dollar drive for endowments or stated another way 10 million of 20 million in endowment funds have been raised so far and there is a list of 431 potential large donors that have not been asked to give yet. Also SDSU's corporate sponsorship has went from 250k to 830k per year.

I still keep asking why is Dr Oien and everyone else involved so darn quiet about their progress? They should be beating their chests with a loud jungle hoop. If you read the article in its entirety, we get what going on at USD. There plan is to copy SDSU in moving to D1. Good luck yotes, please put your money where your mouth is. Also remember that Dr Oien said that HOPE is not part of the strategy.

Comment

http://www.kwsn.com/

You can listen to the news conference at 2:30 on KWSN/ESPN Radio. Listening to the two "clowns" (Craig and Bob) after that is completely up to you!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I'm guessing it's nothing major, or it's an announcement that they're standing pat in DII. Most likely, it's a response to the Argus' editorial earlier this week. If this were to be the announcement everyone expects, one would think the conference would have been called with more advance notice and great fanfare. 'Course, this is the u. They're not exactly the brightest bulbs around.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I'll put my chips down on this being The Big One . . . they'll announce they're going D-I and leaving the NCC.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Right now the staff at USD is huddled under their desks asking themselves, "how can we spin this situation so we don't sound like a red-headed step child following his big brother outside to play."

I suspect they will take a cheap shot or two at State, even blaming them for the current situation they find themselves in. Same old, same old.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For those in the Yankton area, the press conference will be live on 1570 and 106.3. And I concur with filbert. I think this is it.

Comment

They're going.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61129018

USD confirms it will jump to Division I sports; follows lead of SDSU
                  By TERRY VANDROVEC
                  Argus Leader
                  PUBLISHED: November 29, 2006

VERMILLION – University of South Dakota President James Abbott said this afternoon that the school will jump up to NCAA Division I sports.

USD has been studying whether it can afford to move from Division II to the higher league, a move that would involve boosting the school's sports budget and likely investments in new facilities.

South Dakota State University and North Dakota State recently made the move, and the University of North Dakota this year announced it would follow their lead.

USD will hold a press conference at 2:30.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by sdhistorian
                    For those in the Yankton area, the press conference will be live on 1570 and 106.3. And I concur with filbert. I think this is it.
                    Guess so. According to KWSN, they're going to announce one way or the other.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.

Comment

Honestly, were you really surprised?
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                        Didn't they announce already that they hired the previous consultants to continue provide services during the evaluation?
                        That "yes man" was far from Carr and associates.  He basically said what USD wanted him to.  Carr and associates are a much more credible (and expensive) group that will objectively assess the current resources as they apply to a move to DI.  NDSU, SDSU, and UND have all used their services and I think they have been very happy.  I think USD is getting nervous about their consultant.

Let the "fun" begin for the coyotes.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Gotta love the headline on Terry's breaking news article on the Argus site:

USD confirms it will jump to Division I sports; follows lead of SDSU

How true.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

Comment

Well, seeing as how this debate is pretty much over . . . I went ahead and started a new thread:

USD (Coyotes) Go D-I
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                              Honestly, were you really surprised?
                              I'm only surprised in that it seems like it was a hastily called news conference. Maybe this idea is way out there, but could the news of us nearing an agreement with KELO encouraged them to announce sooner than planned?
                              @JacksFanInNeb

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                                [quote author=jackrabit1 link=1150320172/345#354 date=1164832699]Honestly, were you really surprised?
                                I'm only surprised in that it seems like it was a hastily called news conference. Maybe this idea is way out there, but could the news of us nearing an agreement with KELO encouraged them to announce sooner than planned?[/quote]

I've always been of the opinion that the fix was in. I suspect the scathing editorial from the Argus left a mark. It's possible that the news that there was a contract between KELO and SDSU on the associate AD's desk might have had an effect, too.

Four hours' notice of a news conference like that one does seem to be awfully . . . short.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X